Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Free Wireless Internet Starts Today in the Vacation Planning forums; Yeah, I didn't like the word souvenier while I was typing it. But I didn't go back to edit it out. The meaning was there, thought. Maybe they're not buying ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: Free Wireless Internet Starts Today

Yeah, I didn't like the word souvenier while I was typing it. But I didn't go back to edit it out. The meaning was there, thought. Maybe they're not buying souveniers for themselves, but then, I've had neighbors pull the ol', "Hey, while you're down there, could you pick up a...", or maybe they're buying something for their niece or nephew back home who might a plush Mickey. Doesn't mean it's for them, necessarily.

As for food, at some point you'll have to eat. But if you're in your room, you are not out walking aroudn building up an appetite and smelling (way overpriced) popcorn or building up a thirst for a (way overpriced) bottle of water or soda. Meals themselves are meals. It's the little things you're not blowing money on while you're surfing a website that does interest you. Doesn't mean they're posting to Disney forums all day. Maybe they're big fans of sowing, and so they are on a knitting web board. It takes all kinds.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Yes, they are trying to lock you in. No question there. But, how does free wireless internet run contrary to anything you've listed here? If money were truly the bottom line, and I agree that it is certainly noteworthy in their endeavors, why would they offer free internet? Does offering it for free somehow keep you on property? Does it somehow change your intent when residing on property?
    Yes, though only because where people might not be willing to spend $10 or more for internet for the day and therefore can't use their computer, they may be more inclined to stay in their room for a few hours if the internet is free. Me, I never pay for internet unless I'm on business and can expense it.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

OK, I'll take that as a partial argument, and counter with this.

Why would going to the parks equate to them buying souvenirs? Sounds like the person you described had no intention of buying any to begin with. The food argument doesn't really hold up either, because they've still got to eat no matter where they are. Food at the resorts doesn't tend to be any cheaper. Though, probably a little bit better...
    So many guests yield to impulse buying.

Yes, they are trying to lock you in. No question there. But, how does free wireless Internet run contrary to anything you've listed here? If money were truly the bottom line, and I agree that it is certainly noteworthy in their endeavors, why would they offer free Internet? Does offering it for free somehow keep you on property? Does it somehow change your intent when residing on property?
    That kinda lends it to a way previous comment of mine. "Disney never does ANYTHING altruistically." Disney could have and normally would have by track history offered WiFi but at a $$ amount like Swan and Dolphin.
    Why would Disney put WiFi in the Parks? I'm still stick'n to my theory there is a method to this madness, an expense with out a return not very Disney.

I do have to say that I find this to be an interesting conversation, and hope you don't think I'm totally discounting the arguments that both yourself and HauntedGabe are offering. I'm just not seeing the overall logic.
    Yes it is a good conversation and we are all entitled to our opinions. Plus if we all agreed the thread would be dead.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Yeah, I didn't like the word souvenier while I was typing it. But I didn't go back to edit it out. The meaning was there, thought. Maybe they're not buying souveniers for themselves, but then, I've had neighbors pull the ol', "Hey, while you're down there, could you pick up a...", or maybe they're buying something for their niece or nephew back home who might a plush Mickey. Doesn't mean it's for them, necessarily
    .Just look at the pin mania and vinylmation alone. The packages delivered back to the resorts. Disney has to want you out of the hotel.

As for food, at some point you'll have to eat. But if you're in your room, you are not out walking aroudn building up an appetite and smelling (way overpriced) popcorn or building up a thirst for a (way overpriced) bottle of water or soda. Meals themselves are meals. It's the little things you're not blowing money on while you're surfing a website that does interest you. Doesn't mean they're posting to Disney forums all day. Maybe they're big fans of sowing, and so they are on a knitting web board. It takes all kinds.
    Just the beverages alone in the parks per person sure add to the bottom line. Hotel, you'd get a big bang out of the mug. Plus I can drink the water from the hotel, Disney made sure I couldn't pa let the water from the fountains at the parks. Surely different filter systems.

Yes, though only because where people might not be willing to spend $10 or more for internet for the day and therefore can't use their computer, they may be more inclined to stay in their room for a few hours if the internet is free. Me, I never pay for internet unless I'm on business and can expense it.
    I don't know if I'd pay the $10 dollars at Disney. I've paid for it in NOLA and on the airplane. I guess if I had to stay in room with a sick kid, very bad weather or something similar I wouldn't count it out, it does pass the time and that is why I travel with my laptop. Plus in the event of travel delays it is easier to get online than stand in line to talk to an airline rep.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Just the beverages alone in the parks per person sure add to the bottom line. Hotel, you'd get a big bang out of the mug. Plus I can drink the water from the hotel, Disney made sure I couldn't pa let the water from the fountains at the parks. Surely different filter systems.
    They really do have some mineralicious water, don't they? And let's not pretend that it's part of the water supply... if the water in the sink when I brush my teeth is OK, then there's no reason why the park water shouldn't taste OK, too. Oh wait, that's right. It's free.

Buzz2001 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Complimentary Wi-Fi Tested
    Walt Disney World Resort has announced that it will be making complimentary wireless internet (Wi-Fi) service available in the rooms at a number of its hotels as of October 14. The hotels are: Animal Kingdom Lodge; Beach Club; BoardWalk; Contemporary; Coronado Springs; Grand Floridian Resort and Spa; Old Key West; Polynesian; Saratoga Springs Resort and Spa; Wilderness Lodge; and the Yacht Club. To connect to the network using a wireless-enabled device (e.g. laptop, cell phone, etc.), you'll notice a network option labeled "Guest - Access (unsecured)". When you click on that option, you will be taken to a screen that prompts you to accept the terms and conditions. After accepting the terms and conditions, you'll have complimentary Wi-Fi access. Note that for cell phone users, cellular carriers AT and T, Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile and MetroPCS are covered for Wi-Fi access. Complimentary in-room wired internet will also be available at these resorts until Octobert 24. If the testing for complimentary Wi-Fi is successful, the free availability will continue in the future. This will not affect the status of Disney Vacation Club members, who currently receive complimentary Wi-Fi.
    allears reporting its only for 10 days but if successful it will continue. One has to assume it will be successful.

High-Speed Internet Access at the Walt Disney World Resorts

They really do have some mineralicious water, don't they? And let's not pretend that it's part of the water supply... if the water in the sink when I brush my teeth is OK, then there's no reason why the park water shouldn't taste OK, too. Oh wait, that's right. It's free.
    I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago with fresh water. When I moved well west of Chicago we had wells. Disgusting. Filters really cleaned the taste up but was still hard on plumbing and fixtures. With these mega filters you can choose which pipes go through filters and which do not. My guess is Disney opted to put the water fountains on the same pipe pattern as their gardening and sidewalk clean up lines. You don't see the rust patterns in their fixtures etc in parks and the water is fine in their restaurants also in the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz2001 View Post
    allears reporting its only for 10 days but if successful it will continue. One has to assume it will be successful.

High-Speed Internet Access at the Walt Disney World Resorts
    That is interesting report, I had not seen the 24th date as a possible end to Free WiFi. You can read so much into that. Not free anymore? I doubt but hey it would pay for installation, then free later. If I had to take a stab at it, they built a trial date into the free WiFi to bring it back down if Disney Techs had to tweek any bugs in the new system. Can't see Disney spending all that money to install and then dropping it.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

I hope not either. It would be great for it to just continue past the 24th.

I was just informed that the info allears is reporting is incorrect and that the free Wi Fi is here to stay. I guess only time will tell.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, it didn't make sense that they'd only roll it for 10 days. There have been Wi-fi hotspots around the resort for years. They already knew people were clamoring for it to be wise-spread.

Yeah, it didn't make sense that they'd only roll it for 10 days. There have been Wi-fi hotspots around the resort for years. They already knew people were clamoring for it to be wise-spread.
    Exactly. There was nothing really to "test".

Unless they were checking their bottom line. But as far as technology went, what's to test in ten days that years of this "technology" being implemented in, well, everywhere has worked just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I grew up in the suburbs of Chicago with fresh water. When I moved well west of Chicago we had wells. Disgusting. Filters really cleaned the taste up but was still hard on plumbing and fixtures. With these mega filters you can choose which pipes go through filters and which do not. My guess is Disney opted to put the water fountains on the same pipe pattern as their gardening and sidewalk clean up lines. You don't see the rust patterns in their fixtures etc in parks and the water is fine in their restaurants also in the parks.
    Yes, technically. Though no. I have a water filtration system on my home. But prior to that, we were using an individual filter for the kitchen. Was it doing anything? Who the helI knows. But it is possible (though maybe not cost efficient) to filter out select faucets and fountains. I don't think they're cooking in the same awful water we're drinking in the fountains, are they? Or are they.

Yes, technically. Though no. I have a water filtration system on my home. But prior to that, we were using an individual filter for the kitchen. Was it doing anything? Who the helI knows. But it is possible (though maybe not cost efficient) to filter out select faucets and fountains. I don't think they're cooking in the same awful water we're drinking in the fountains, are they? Or are they.
    Well Italy's new Pizza resturant is importing their own water, says something now doesn't it. lol.

Perfect! Thanks. Monday is the witching date, we'll see if WiFi continues or if they take her down.

I guess they just need a few days to check their bottom line on concessions during the trial period?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast