Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by weepstah So many fond memories of the Polynesian. I can't imagine them doing a demo job on it as for many people it's their favorite resort, anywhere. ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort

Quote Originally Posted by weepstah View Post
    So many fond memories of the Polynesian. I can't imagine them doing a demo job on it as for many people it's their favorite resort, anywhere.

I can understand the need to update it though, like many others. just go easy.
    Ya, they have to do something with the GCH, it was just the materials of the time. The longhouses need constant care, again it is just the materials that weather badly in that climate. The pool that just keeps sinking. It is so sad and Disney does try to keep her up.

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Though I haven't stayed at the Poly since I was a kid, theme wise it's still one of my favorites. I love 'Ohana too. I'd truly be sad to see it go.

All this said, I just have a hard time beleiving it'd be gone completely. There is significant revenue generated from people staying on property and with the amount of new resorts always going up, I just can't see one coming down. Figure however many rooms multiplied by the average price per night and then multiply that by 365... that's a lot of money lost if they shut it down.
    Me too, I love her. In the past years though I am not as thrilled with Ohana's food, I gravitate to Kona instead. Ohana's seemed to be impacted by the dining plan. If they do indeed smoosh the GCH I hope they do bring these popular places back in the rebuild.

I really believe Disney has been wrestling a long time with what to do with the Poly. She is so popular yet they have to make a move. Now would be a good time to bring her down completely and fix her up or create a new her. I can't see them not closing the whole resort even if it is just the main pool and GCH. The resorts are not full now with the economy, construction is cheaper due to economy, and bring on Animation will add a lot of rooms for people with larger families. The time seems right.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I'm thinking a DVC addition, though space there is tight,so there may be a reduction in the current resort space.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Never stayed there nor at any deluxe resort.Can't afford it.But we walked around therough it before and it seems like we might like to stay there,if I ever get rich!LOL,yeah right!
    Park Hopper Dad!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I asked my cousin, who is a CM, and she said that rumor is so old and that nothing is going to happen to Poly, just a refurb. The only rumor still possible is the addition of DVC, which to me seems likely given the fact that BLT is there and they are adding it to GF.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

I'm not completely convinced of that as a forever decision. It has been stated everywhere that the GCH has Asbestos. The guru of the Poly has gone to length on the subject. You cannot do abatement without sealing it. Asbestos requires a grave and a grave marker. It is so much more complicated than a refurb.

Asbestos is pretty harmless until it is disturbed. If you disturb it, remove it it needs to be tented, workers on respirators, OSHA is monitoring.

If not next year or the year after, they are going to have to deal with the asbestos eventually and I cannot imagine Disney being able to keep the Poly open without the GCH. Curious is the cousin a Poly employee? What level of a CM? What does she know about how they are going to remove it? It is cool to have a relative with inside info, obviously by her statements Disney is going to let it go a while longer.

My Dad was an Asbestos contractor and then was OSHA for abatement, I am really interested in your cousins insight. I sat on our school board and we had 3 schools that had to be abated, nobody was allowed around the property at all during abatement. So curious as to how they are going to work around this.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Found the paragraph that leads me to believe something will need to be done beyond a refurb.

So letís address the rumors. For years now the Great Ceremonial House has needed to be replaced but they keep fixing it with small fixes that donít last. Is there an asbestos problem? Yes but only in the GCH. There is no asbestos problem in the room that was rumored a while ago. These rooms were gutted in 2002. My site will show you photos that there was nothing in the rooms other than the steel framing. Also the GCH needs to become ADA compliant as well as up to code in other areas. So this is the one thing I have been hearing for a while and from many sources. They were even trying to figure out logistics on how they would move check in and offer other dining options including opening back up Tangaroa Terrace and having the Luau maybe serve lunch. Because they were trying to figure this out I believe it was going to finally happen soon.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

I hate to say this (I really hate to say this!) but a major rebuild may be in order. The location of the AKL notwithstanding, I think that Disney has done a pretty fabulous job on the resorts with the WL, AKL, Grand Californian, Aulani - so a 'new' Polynesian may end up being great. It probably would mean taller buildings though :/ . I don't like that at all.

Walking into the GCH and breathing in that wonderful scent. That was always my arrival moment back in the day. It would be really tough to have that go away. They were maybe supposed to announce something yesterday, right?

I have not seen anything yet. I can't say I've searched. The Tikiman is on vacation and so many of the "Big Guys" in podcasting and forums yield to his knowledge on the Poly. Disney obviously respects him if you look at his photo's, Disney allows him access to construction and employees. He brings in annual reunions to the Poly so he is a big gun.

I'm very curious about DopeyDancers cousin that is a CM. She seems to have some knowledge beyond the Tikiman so she must be a ranking CM to have this kind of knowledge beyond what Tikiman has articulated. I love the Poly and I am so torn. It could be fabulous or it could be awful.
    Nail biter.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I'm so on edge about what is going to happen to the Poly...I love everything about it there-the theming, the rooms, the food, the pool, and the overall feel are all just great. Part of me wants to be so excited about what is to come, and the rest of me is so nervous about what could happen. There's so many rumors flying around that it's hard to predict anything at all. I really can't see Disney just totally ignoring the asbestos issue in the GCH, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say some pretty big things are to come. We shall see....

My dad works in asbestos abatement- I jokingly told him the other night to have his company put in a bid to Disney to redo the Poly for them. How great would it be for him to just pack us all up and have us live down there until the refurb was done?!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

I cant imagine they would do anything with the Poly. Its uber popular. Many say its the best resort. And there isnt room to add DVC houses so I expect it will remain as is for the forseeable future
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    I cant imagine they would do anything with the Poly. Its uber popular. Many say its the best resort. And there isnt room to add DVC houses so I expect it will remain as is for the forseeable future
    There def. isn't any room to add to the property, but they may do like GF and convert a building to DVC rooms. Just a guess.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper10 View Post
    I'm so on edge about what is going to happen to the Poly...I love everything about it there-the theming, the rooms, the food, the pool, and the overall feel are all just great. Part of me wants to be so excited about what is to come, and the rest of me is so nervous about what could happen. There's so many rumors flying around that it's hard to predict anything at all. I really can't see Disney just totally ignoring the asbestos issue in the GCH, so I'm gonna take a wild guess and say some pretty big things are to come. We shall see....
    I am right there with you. So torn.

And no, ignoring the asbestos forever isn't an option. WDW has been lucky it hasn't been an issue. WDW can't ignore the ADA requirements either.

I am so wondering if our Dad's life's have tripped over one another. We had abatement folks in our schools 5 times now. One this past summer.

My dad works in asbestos abatement- I jokingly told him the other night to have his company put in a bid to Disney to redo the Poly for them. How great would it be for him to just pack us all up and have us live down there until the refurb was done?!
    Quote Originally Posted by MJMcb View Post
    I cant imagine they would do anything with the Poly. Its uber popular. Many say its the best resort. And there isn't room to add DVC houses so I expect it will remain as is for the foreseeable future
    Popular or not, they have to do what is required. But they could
    tear down the GCH and rebuild it similar and just fixing the insulation, ADA and there by fixing all the other things that are out of code.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    There def. isn't any room to add to the property, but they may do like GF and convert a building to DVC rooms. Just a guess.
    One of the rumors that is floating is to flatten her and rebuild her similar to Hawaii. Then you have that DVC option. If totally rebuilt, she remains as popular as a hotel, if they make her a modern Poly would remain to be seen. DVC I am pretty certain would be a quick sell out.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I've never ventured to the Poly nor have I wanted to. Perhaps a re-imagineering could change that.
    Stayed once, never again.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

its one of my fav hotels there it better not close I watch wishes from the beach there the night before we do a full day at the kingdom like a pre magical experience lol
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Here's the problem:what was once considerd to be modern and "jet set" is no longer the "going thing" these days.Decor comes and goes,but in 1971 what was considered "chic" is old and blaise now.There are certain cases where the decor somewhere remains current throughout all time,but as it appears in this case at the Poly,that has not happened.South Pacific and tropical islands look yes,but modernize the twist!
    Park Hopper Dad!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast