Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; Love the Poly, and for me, the charm of it has always been the kitchy 70's theme even after the updates. We've stayed on a couple different 9 day trips ...
    Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.

Re: What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort

Love the Poly, and for me, the charm of it has always been the kitchy 70's theme even after the updates. We've stayed on a couple different 9 day trips and I would always consider going back. I hope nothing too drastic occurs....it's one of the icons and a link back to the earliest days of WDW.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Serkazong View Post
    Love the Poly, and for me, the charm of it has always been the kitchy 70's theme even after the updates. We've stayed on a couple different 9 day trips and I would always consider going back. I hope nothing too drastic occurs....it's one of the icons and a link back to the earliest days of WDW.
    Cool,a 9 day trip to WDW! We did it once,I loved it.After 3-4 days I thought I needed to go to wally world and get a mailbox.LOL!Wish I could set up residence there!
    Park Hopper Dad!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    I'm thinking a DVC addition, though space there is tight,so there may be a reduction in the current resort space.
    And it seems you were correct! Or at least the plans that are floating around this month that do have some details to the rumors. It was only two weeks ago that Disney Confirmed the DVC at the GF so not likely that there will be a press event or release anytime soon.

The below is from Tikiman on his own sight.

For the longest time the resort CMs and managers were telling me DVC was looked at and decided it was not possible. Even today you will get CMs that say there is no way DVC is going to happen. Well I think we all know DVC is going and it will be done in multiple phases. Now as we know timing and details can change with Disney so some of this might end up different but I will tell you what I know as of now.
    The GCH we already know has to be fixed and redone. They said in the layout that the center water feature was gone from the design but I have not been told what is in its place yet.
    Looking from an [COLOR=#F3933B !important]aerial view
    of the resort it will have phase one expanding towards the Wedding Pavilion with a T shaped building where Luau cove is now. The top of the T will be parallel to the beach and the building will be 5 stories tall. It will be DVC rooms.[/COLOR]
    The next phase will remove Rapa Nui and the parking lot next to it and put in another 5 story T shaped building with the top of the T facing away from the beach and towards Shades of [COLOR=#F3933B !important]Green. Tahiti will remain in front of it and will be turned into DVC. The area where the Tangaroa Terrace and the garden area between Tahiti, Rapa Nui and Tokelau will become a new pool area with lazy river modeled after the one at Aulani.[/COLOR]
    In addition 15 over the water (like in Tahiti) huts will be built off the beach of Tahiti and will be grand villas. They will each have their own docks from the beach.
    It looks like the remaining longhouses will remain the way they are with a new room design. I am sure there will be more details but that is the grand scheme that they have planned right now.”
    Although Disney has not made the official announcement you can bet that the expansion is coming, just like at the Grand Floridian.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

Never stayed there but always visit it thanks to the monorail loop lol its great just to walk around and if you get lucky watch wishes from the sand
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

cindymouse6 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up Re: What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort

Ok.... I am officially getting excited!!! I have been a DVC member since 1994 (best money I ever spent) and have been waiting for a Poly DVC. I bought at BLT and we stay there every other year with a MK view on the 7th or 8th floor and it is amazing! But I love TIKI and love the resort. I'm not sure how it can all work with limited area, so anxious to see.... but the grand villa on the beach is calling my name!!!
    cindymouse6
    DVC members Old Key West, Beach Club, Bay Lake Towers
    30+ visits and still adding them on!
    New Years 2014, WDW marathon weekend 2014, Bay lake MK view 2014, Food and wine Festival 2014 Premium annual passholder!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    It doesn't sound as if they are planning something else for the Poly just a new Poly or partially new Poly and gutted. Or so the rumors are going.

I love the Poly. I'd likely like a new Poly too. Ewww, I can add a rumor maybe a Poly DVC with the new Poly. Yep, I'd love to buy into that one.
    And maybe my dream is going to come true.

from the Tikiman
    (for the members that are not familiar with him, his inside info is spot on and a long time guru of everything Poly at WDW)

I hear that the plans for the DVC at the Polynesian is still to start this year and finish by 2015 or 2016 but they are not going to do as much as was in the original design. Also major changes to the GCH and addition of Trader Sams. I hope to have more I can share soon.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13748128197507

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

Trader Sams would be a great addition. But taking out the atrium waterfall would be a colossal negative in my book. It's one of my favorite things in WDW.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Removing the waterfall would be quite possibly the biggest misstep they've ever made. Though it's not quite as impressive to me since we've stayed at the Gaylord Opryland several times, it's the most impressive feature in any of the resort lobbies and tends to be an attraction all its own.

Not to mention a great photo opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by weepstah View Post
    Trader Sams would be a great addition. But taking out the atrium waterfall would be a colossal negative in my book. It's one of my favorite things in WDW.
    I can't imagine what would make a better first impression than the atrium. I've always said I'm not interested in a DVC however the Poly always was that tucked away feeling of wanting a DVC at the Poly. Love the theming, it reminds me of my Springs spent in Florida during my Childhood. But after reading some of the Tikimans posts over the last several days there is the potential to gut this resort and it come out sad in the end.

If I were the Empress of the Poly I'd be replacing a major chunk of all the buildings (they are so old and have not held up well after all these years) and I'd build new but replicas. Same for the GCH. I'd hate for the charm to be beaten out of the Poly. Trader Sams would indeed be a great addition.

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

I sure hope the Poly isn't under construction in Nov. of this year since we'll be staying there then. Might have to change that reservation if that occurs.

But I had always told my wife if they ever build a DVC at the Poly that you better prepare yourself to get into some debt because we would be buying there.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorhead View Post
    I sure hope the Poly isn't under construction in Nov. of this year since we'll be staying there then. Might have to change that reservation if that occurs.

But I had always told my wife if they ever build a DVC at the Poly that you better prepare yourself to get into some debt because we would be buying there.
    Sounds like you are in my camp. I'd hold out hope that November will be OK. I haven't seen any permits filed.
    If they really do float some villa's in the water I wonder what that will do the view of the MK night time shows from the buildings and beach front. Sure hope they don't mess with all this resort has to offer. Fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorhead View Post

Yep, there are some walls up. Also take a look at this, not pretty..........

Trees are goners
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Tikiman's sight, Jeff Langes photo

Tikiman is offline B-Ticket Holder

Get in your last look at the waterfall in the lobby. I would expect it to get walled off this week or next going by those working on the project and Cast Members at the resort.
    HauntedGabe likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikiman View Post
    Get in your last look at the waterfall in the lobby. I would expect it to get walled off this week or next going by those working on the project and Cast Members at the resort.
    Ugh.

Kinda breaks the heart. Fond memories from a small child of the Old Poly. Wouldn't want to stay there though during all the messy construction though.

Hoping when they are finished she comes out even greater on the other side, but I am reserved and braced. But no matter what they do, she isn't going to be quite the same 'ole gal. Thanks for keeping us updated, appreciated.
    Tikiman likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123