Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort in the Vacation Planning forums; Will the Polynesian Resort close? Will part of it get torn down? Rumors have been flying for months now and we have discussed this on several threads ever since it ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Post What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort

Will the Polynesian Resort close? Will part of it get torn down? Rumors have been flying for months now and we have discussed this on several threads ever since it was rumored that the Poly would close as the Animation Hotel came online. Well it is getting closer.

For all of you that love the Poly, the great guru of the Poly is the Tikiman. He has posted some interesting points this month. He is also saying that there will be an announcement of the Poly's Birthday. So I thought it was time for us to have a thread of its own.

Here is a link to Tikiman's update.
    Change is in the wind - TikimanPages - The Unofficial Polynesian Resort Pages

Well the announcement according to the Tikiman could come on the 24th, so it will be interesting to see if Disney does intend big things for the Poly and if that will include closing her for a while.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: What is going to happen to the Polynesian Resort

It's a large area along the monorail loop, as well as lakeside frontage. They'd have to put something else in there. It's not like Discovery Island or even River Country, where they could just let it rot away. Personally, I stayed there once and will never return. Every now and again on a non-park day, I'll take the monorail for a loop and get off at each hotel and walk around, just to visit.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

It doesn't sound as if they are planning something else for the Poly just a new Poly or partially new Poly and gutted. Or so the rumors are going.

I love the Poly. I'd likely like a new Poly too. Ewww, I can add a rumor maybe a Poly DVC with the new Poly. Yep, I'd love to buy into that one.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm sure I mentioned before, but having stayed a few nights in the Gaylord Opryland Resort in Nashville a few years back just made the Poly seem like a sad afterthought.

I definitely wouldn't want them to get rid of it entirely, but they could certainly learn something from the Gaylord Entertainment Company on how to do it right.

Something you can rarely say about Disney...

Just watched a YouTube of it. It is pretty. Way to contemporary inside though as a comparison to the Poly. Have you been in the upper level of Navy Pier, Chicago? That is what the tropical area reminds me of. The front view of the resort reminds me of our Country Club here.
    Almost to the point where I believe it could have been the same architect.

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I love the Poly but I think it is time for a update. I really hope that they add DVC... I am hoping that will get my daddy to stay there again ( he does not like it).
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Have you been in the upper level of Navy Pier, Chicago?
    Oh, of course I have!

Though, I will say the Gaylord is just so immense in size and scope that a Youtube vid won't do it any justice. Even after studying up on it before we went, you can't grasp how enormous it is until you walk from one end of it to the other.

Kind of like trying to describe how monstrous WDW is to somebody who has never been there.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

It wouldn't surprise me if they made some changes; maybe make it more Aulani-like?

I enjoyed myself (for having a broken ankle at the time) when we stayed there, but it probably wouldn't hurt to update it.

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I've never ventured to the Poly nor have I wanted to. Perhaps a re-imagineering could change that.

Quote Originally Posted by StewbotTalborg View Post
    I've never ventured to the Poly nor have I wanted to. Perhaps a re-imagineering could change that.
    If you wind yourself down at WDW before Disney decides what to do and starts to change it...I'd suggest taking in a meal at The Great Ceremonial House. I am a very big fan of Kona both for breakfast and dinner. The GCH is almost certain to come down because rehab with the asbestos. They have been updating it as best they can. I love this resort because it is different in its layout and feel. Even if you just wander the GCH and the immediate paths around it and through pool area you just find it peaceful,especially early morning or evening.

It is so easy to visit, a nice stroll from the TTC from either the lot, the monorail from Epcot or before/after the MK. A resort in a perfect spot.

weepstah is offline C-Ticket Holder

So many fond memories of the Polynesian. I can't imagine them doing a demo job on it as for many people it's their favorite resort, anywhere.

I can understand the need to update it though, like many others. just go easy.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Though I haven't stayed at the Poly since I was a kid, theme wise it's still one of my favorites. I love 'Ohana too. I'd truly be sad to see it go.

All this said, I just have a hard time beleiving it'd be gone completely. There is significant revenue generated from people staying on property and with the amount of new resorts always going up, I just can't see one coming down. Figure however many rooms multiplied by the average price per night and then multiply that by 365... that's a lot of money lost if they shut it down.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Gabe, the Kona Cafe has a pretty darn good lunch as well. Went back for a midday break last time we were there and decided to eat lunch there. Everything we had was surprisingly good.

The sushi bar, which I think is only open in the evening is pretty decent as well.

Thanks for the heads up. I rarely leave the parks during the day unless I am hopping but that would be do-able if I was hopping between MK and Epcot! Slurp.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Slurp.

I'll say this, after reading the post from Tikiman, I definitely agree something is up but I am holding onto the hope that it's a refurb and maybe taking one of the buildings and redoing it for DVC (maybe even knock it down and rebuild it like the one wing at the Contemporary). I don't think it's a gone forever thing. We shall see though!

This is one of the things I love about Disney... I'm never shocked but always surprised!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast