Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Port Orleans Riverside in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone, My wife and I are huge disney fans like most of you and we go try to go to Disney at least 3 times a year. This will ...
    MDDisneyFans is offline A-Ticket holder

Port Orleans Riverside

Hi everyone,
    My wife and I are huge disney fans like most of you and we go try to go to Disney at least 3 times a year. This will be our first time ever getting to stay on Disney Property. The hotels at Hotel Plaza Blvd are as close as we've been before. We are only staying for one night and then hopefully we will be staying at a resort again in March for a few more days.

Anythings we should know? Any thoughts about this resort? Is this a good resort for our first time staying at a Disney resort or should we not get our hopes up?

Any info you guys can offer would be great! Thanks!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Port Orleans Riverside

Welcome! Hope you enjoy your time with us.

I really enjoy POR, we've stayed at it for almost two decades now.
    It was designed beautifully. POR is in the middle of room renovations right now. Can't really tell from the outside.

When you check in, inquire if one of the newly renovated rooms is available. Not only will the decor be fresh but the renovated rooms have received new and larger mattresses. If you are there on an evening where yeehaw Bob is in the Lounge, stop by for a while. Very funny.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have reservations to stay there later in the year and all my research says is that it is a good value moderate hotel. So should be good :-)

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Welcome, always heard good things about POR on WDW Today and in the Guide.

disneyrunrchick is offline C-Ticket Holder

We've stayed there twice and really like it. There are two separate areas, the mansions and the bayou, and we've stayed in both. The new rooms are in the bayou and many have a trundle bed.
    My biggest tip would be to try and take the boat to French Quarters and eat at a beignet if you have time. They are yummy!
    Also, if you're a pin trader, make sure to check out the book at the back of the gift shop.
    Have a magical time!
    http://disneyrunnerchick.blogspot.com

This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good
    .-

The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing- Walt Disney

There is no one on the planet to compare with moi.- Miss Piggy

TEN Trips... And counting!

StewbotTalborg is offline Fastpass Holder

I've never stayed there, but it's high on my list of "must do's". Even higher than some of the Deluxe Resorts.

You should listen to episode #97 of the podcast. Lou does a really great DSI of the resort. It's what really peaked my interest in it.

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Even though we have not stayed there since '04 (and have not been able to, since, for financial reasons), we still consider it our "home" resort, even though we are not DVC members, either.
    We stayed there on the first two trips we did with our kiddos in '01 and '04.
    We loved it sooo much! Everything from the grounds, to the theming, to Ol' Man Island, to the food court and lobby and the BGM. The boat ride to DTD was always so much fun, too. Just so very many good memories and so much to love about this resort.
    Unfortunately, we won't be staying there on our trip this summer, but have high hopes for the new Art of Animation Resort that we'll be stayin' at this time around. Hope to get back "home" ASAP.
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

MDDisneyFans is offline A-Ticket holder

Well, we had our first stay on Disney property and we loved it! We wish we would known more about the resort before hand so that we could have scheduled a horse and carriage ride or some of the other neat things they have at the resort but it was great! Our anniversary is in June during the blackout time for our passes and we are honestly considering going up anyway (we're only a few hours away) and staying at a resort (perhaps this one again) and just enoying the resorts! It was that great!

StitchGal23 is offline B-Ticket Holder

POR is really great. I've stayed there before, and they have a great design sense and awesome Quick Service!
    Four Parks, One Dream

imagineer-to-be is offline A-Ticket holder

POR is great! I've stayed twice, once in Magnolia Bend (the big, plantation-style white buildings), and once in Alligator Bayou (more rustic rooms). My family preferred Magnolia, just because the building was a lot closer to the pool, food court, etc. Not to mention two family members got food poisoning the same trip we stayed in Alligator Bayou--my opinion there could definitely be biased. It's been 2 years since our last stay here, but I remember the pool being really fun and BIG, and the food court being nice too. You can easily get to Downtown Disney from here, and a walk over to Port Orleans French Quarter is well-rewarded with a beignet from the food court! I know at POFQ you can take a boat directly to Downtown Disney, and the same might be true from POR.
    Have fun! It's a great place to stay!
    Emma

Campbell87 is offline A-Ticket holder

For our first ever WDW vacation, we stayed at POR and loved every second of it. I'd happily go back and stay there again too. I think it's perfect for first timers, especially after a busy day in the parks, it is so tranquil and peaceful to wander around of an evening, with lots of little quiet pools in-between the buildings. You can't beat a ferry boat ride to and from DTD, cruising down the winding Sassagoula River.

The food court has one of the widest variety's of resort menus that I've ever come across too, with a phenomenal pizza window!

You'll have an amazing time! Just watch out for the Geckos!
    1999 DLP, 2000 - DLP, 2002 POR, 2004 DLP, 2005 AKL, 2006/07 AKL, 2008 Four points by Sheraton (NON Disney!), 2008 - SSR, 2010 AKL, 2011 Rosen Inn @ Universal, 2012 - AKL

JohnO is offline C-Ticket Holder

We stayed at POR for the first time in January 2012. I love this resort! I too would stay there again without hesitation. We stayed in the mansions section, Oak Manor. Such a beautiful resort, fantastic theming, awesome food court, and non stressful bus experiences.
    77- Disneyland 89- Disneyland 94- WDW ASSp 95- WDW OKW 98- WDW Hol.Inn MG 99- WDW Off Prop. 06- WDW ASMov 2/8 -2/16 07- WDW Pop 2/4 - 2/14 07- WDW All Star Mus 9/11 - 9/17 08- WDW ASMov 10/27 - 10/30 08- DCL Wonder 10/30 - 11/2 09- WDW AS Mov 9/21 - 9/27 09- DCL Wonder 9/27 - 10/1 10- WDW Off Prop. 4/23- 4/25 10- DCL Magic 7ngt Estrn 10/23-10/30 10- WDW CSR 10/30-11/1 12 - POR 1/8 - 1/15 392 Miles from WDW
    I Survived the 40 Hr Live Show Oct. 1 - 2/2011
    Johnoinsc in 'The Box'

Donkey chips is offline A-Ticket holder

We stayed at POR and loved the resort, they really know home to make you feel at home there. We felt it was very quiet and nice decor. Good and consistent food, great ice cream sandwich cookie. You will not go wrong at the resort.
    Good luck and have fun.

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Oh, we LOVED POR! It was such a beautiful resort and the landscaping is fab - I'm sure you will absolutely love it!
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.