Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Disneyland visit? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm thinking about making my first trip out to Disneyland. I'm very confident about planning a trip to WDW, but I have no clue what I'm doing for Disneyland. Has ...
    wdfan is offline Thinking Orange Thoughts

Disneyland visit?

I'm thinking about making my first trip out to Disneyland. I'm very confident about planning a trip to WDW, but I have no clue what I'm doing for Disneyland. Has anyone here been? Are there any "good neighbor" hotels you can recommend within walking distance? Thanks for the help!
    WDW Marathon '12
    WDW Goofy '13

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Disneyland visit?

Yes, I have been there and it is a competely different experience. The good neighbor hotels are within walking distance of the park entrance. We stayed at the Anaheim Portofino in a Family Suite that overlooked DCA and liked the hotel. There are many good options. I recommend the Unofficial Guide to Disneyland which is how I first found the Portofino and other hotels.

jeanigor is offline D-Ticket Holder

I went out to Disneyland for the first time in twenty years over Labor Day last year (for the Disneyland Half Marathon). I just got back from revisiting it this past weekend for the Tinkerbell Half Marathon.

A few things to mention:
    •Disneyland is smaller than Walt Disney World. While you can still put some major miles on your feet, it isn't usually as much as you would in WDW.

•There are a ton of hotels within reasonable walking distance (less than 15 minutes to the bag check entrance). If you don't want to walk, your hotel is probably going to be on the Anaheim Regional Transit bus line. I stayed at the Quality Inn-Anaheim for both of my trips. The resort reminded me, looks wise as if it should be called Quality Inn-French Quarter or Port Orleans-Anaheim. I am thrifty and they include a large breakfast assortment and breakfast room as well as free WiFi. The rooms also had small fridges, a microwave and coffee pot--all of which are larger in size than those found in a DVC studio. The room dimensions and layouts themselves are comparable to that of the All-Stars.

•You go through security/bag check. There is no option for 'no bag'. You get to wait in line even if you are not taking a park bag/purse/camera bag. Also, you may not even be going into a park and have to go through bag check, (Sort of annoying at times). If this is confusing, I did a sketch to help illustrate what I mean.

•It is a little odd to be able to walk to literally everything. Your hotel. Off site dining. Downtown Disney.

•Things move at a different pace. And the crowds ebb at different times. As long as school is still in session, Sunday nights die out slightly after dinner and you could shoot a cannon down Main Street on weekday mornings.

•The cast members act a little different too. Not quite sure how to quantify it exactly.

•I made the error of being prideful and find that WDW was superior in every way. There is no better park. Both have some fabulous aspects. Both lack in other areas. Appreciate it for what it is.

•Disneyland doesn't have the number of photopass photographers as WDW.

•Disneyland dining options have more variety than WDW. You won't find a burger and chicken nuggets on every menu.

•Just because an attraction or show is at both parks, doesn't mean it is the same. (its a small world, Fantasmic!, and Space Mountain come to mind). However, the attractions that are films or visually centered are the same (Star Tours, Captain EO, Muppet Vision 3D).

Hope that helps. Be sure to ask questions.
    I'm fairly certain that given a tiara and a nice cape, I could save the world--one sequin at a time.

2011 Donald ½ Marathon 2:59:00. 2011 Princess ½ Marathon
    3:12:40.
    2011 Disneyland ½ Marathon 3:13:52. 2011 Wine & Dine ½ Marathon --3:06:56.
    2012 Donald ½ Marathon --. 2012 Tinkerbell ½ Marathon --.

Grand Camping Adventure Information

mickeytoo is offline Imagineer in heart and soul...!

Been to both WDW and DLR several times. LOVE them both!
    Have a special connection to DLR since it was the first park I visited back in '68 when I was 6 years old.
    Just don't expect DLR to be WDW, and you'll be fine...!
    Have a great trip!!!
    I always like to look on the optimistic side of life, but I am realistic enough to know that life is a complex matter.
    ~ you know who

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by jeanigor View Post
    •I made the error of being prideful and find that WDW was superior in every way. There is no better park. Both have some fabulous aspects. Both lack in other areas. Appreciate it for what it is.
    Greatest piece of advice there is
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member