Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Change of Plans: POR? in the Vacation Planning forums; This goes out there to all of you who have stayed at POR. I'd like your opinions of it, suggestions/tips, etc. What buildings do you like and why? It is ...
    julielizabet is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Change of Plans: POR?

This goes out there to all of you who have stayed at POR. I'd like your opinions of it, suggestions/tips, etc. What buildings do you like and why? It is looking like my husband and I will be taking our four kids (who will then be 9, 7[autistic], almost 2, and almost 1) to WDW in Dec. We have gone in Dec. (and Jan.) several times and this is our preferred time of year. I'm mostly looking at staying at Alligator Bayou, hoping for a trundle, and hoping for free dining. My travel agent is fantastic, but I'd like your input. Thanks!
    Last edited by julielizabet; 07-17-2012 at 01:30 PM.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Change of Plans: POR?

Quote Originally Posted by julielizabet View Post
    This goes out there to all of you who have stayed at POR. I'd like your opinions of it, suggestions/tips, etc. What buildings do you like and why? It is looking like my husband and I will be taking our four kids (who will then be 9, 7[autistic], almost 2, and almost 1) to WDW in Dec. We have gone in Dec. (and Jan.) several times and this is our preferred time of year. I'm mostly looking at staying at Alligator Bayou, hoping for a trundle, and hoping for free dining. My travel agent is fantastic, but I'd like your input. Thanks!
    I did misspeak on your other thread. The Bayou's are changing out their trundles, which were tiny for Murphy Beds that fold down from over the dresser unit. Quiet pools are very close to hotel buildings in that area. If you look to save more money and save your dining credits for lunch and dinner you can easily refill your free refillable mug with milk, juice or coffee, buy a box or donuts in the gift shop and have breakfast at the tables by the pool before you leave for the parks. It is very peaceful around the quiet pools early in the morning.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

That is a fantastic idea! And it sounds like the change in extra bedding is an improvement (although I can't quite picture it). Do you have an area or building you prefer?

Actually I found them all to be just fine. Some are closer to main pool, others bus stop, others main building. It all evens out in the wash. I actually loved the Mansion side until they Princess'd it up.

Murphy Bed:

http://allears.net/acc/portorleans/poabdec2011b.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/portorleans/poabdec2011a.jpg

http://allears.net/acc/portorleans/poabdec2011f.jpg

My suggestion is to bring an umbrella stroller(s) to use at the resort

We were around for the grand opening day of this resort, my DD was 2 months old DS 4 1/2. I love the place. It is a great hotel, peaceful and perfect to chill out the kids after a day of hype at the parks.

but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Thank you. I'm checking out the links.

Now THAT is WAY cool!!!!

Yep, better than a sleeping bag.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I'm not the biggest fan of POR for a few reasons. Firstly, the resort is fairly large. Some rooms can be some distance from the food court/lobby area and I've found the bus service to be fairly inadequate. There are multiple bus stops throughout the resort, which means if you're at one of the latter stops, the bus will likely be full; if you're at one of the first stops, you'll be in for a bit of a ride before you're actually on your way to the park. Occasionally, POR will also share buses with POFQ, in which case POFQ is always the first pick up, and the first drop off. On the plus side, they have Yehaw Bob, a halfway decent food court, and some quiet pools. Unfortunately, I can't say much good about the main pool.... we only went there once, but there were a bunch of really rowdy kids that were practically doing cannonballs on top of you. Needless to say, we didn't stay long and we didn't overly enjoy ourselves at the main pool. I don't particularly remember any room or building numbers we had that were exceptional, as its been quite a while since we stayed at POR.

Overall, as far as Moderate resorts go, I prefer POFQ or the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Admittedly, though the Cabins are classified as moderate resorts, they're not priced as such.