Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By princessariel
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Best place to stay with 3.5 year old? in the Vacation Planning forums; I've been given the official go ahead for next summer! I'm looking at hotels and trying to figure out where to stay. We won't stay at a value. I always ...
    princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

Best place to stay with 3.5 year old?

I've been given the official go ahead for next summer! I'm looking at hotels and trying to figure out where to stay. We won't stay at a value. I always feel like I'm at a cattle call for transportation etc.

I've been staying at POFQ(sans kiddo/DH). I enjoy it but kinda want to try something new. I'm looking at 5-6 nights and want on property. Do you think forking over $ for a deluxe is worth it? I'm thinking Contemporary or Boardwalk.

The kiddo is pretty much a trooper and will go full force but I know we will need a nap. Napping in the stroller usually isn't an option as she doesn't want to miss the action.

I'm unsure of DDP so even thought about Swan/Dolphin.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Best place to stay with 3.5 year old?

Quote Originally Posted by princessariel View Post
    I've been given the official go ahead for next summer! I'm looking at hotels and trying to figure out where to stay. We won't stay at a value. I always feel like I'm at a cattle call for transportation etc.

I've been staying at POFQ(sans kiddo/DH). I enjoy it but kinda want to try something new. I'm looking at 5-6 nights and want on property. Do you think forking over $ for a deluxe is worth it? I'm thinking Contemporary or Boardwalk.

The kiddo is pretty much a trooper and will go full force but I know we will need a nap. Napping in the stroller usually isn't an option as she doesn't want to miss the action.

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    I stayed with my kids at that age at POR, FC and Caribbean. I'd say the pool of Caribbean won for little kids.
    It is so interactive for the small and sand to play with by the beach. CS has by far the best playground.

At the Caribbean and CS it is best to fork over a few dollars to get the preferred buildings as both are spread out. I did almost all QS restaurants with my kids when small, less stress for all. The few ADRs we did were character and places like Germany, where noise of children just blended in. Didn't do a dining plan as it was a waste for us when they were small.

By that age my kids didn't nap. DD faded quicker than DS did at that age, he could just keep on going. If they needed to crash but wouldn't I'd take them on Haunted Mansion, Movie Ride, SSE, Energy, any long continuous load ride that kept moving and give them a lolly pop to slurp on and off they'd go. My advice is also an umbrella stroller, easy to take into the QS at the resorts and often a long walk, great for DTD too.

We did trips from the time they were 2 months old annually, for 2 week trips. Any other questions just ask.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I stayed with my kids at that age at POR, FC and Caribbean. I'd say the pool of Caribbean won for little kids.
    It is so interactive for the small and sand to play with by the beach. CS has by far the best playground.

At the Caribbean and CS it is best to fork over a few dollars to get the preferred buildings as both are spread out. I did almost all QS restaurants with my kids when small, less stress for all. The few ADRs we did were character and places like Germany, where noise of children just blended in. Didn't do a dining plan as it was a waste for us when they were small.

By that age my kids didn't nap. DD faded quicker than DS did at that age, he could just keep on going. If they needed to crash but wouldn't I'd take them on Haunted Mansion, Movie Ride, SSE, Energy, any long continuous load ride that kept moving and give them a lolly pop to slurp on and off they'd go. My advice is also an umbrella stroller, easy to take into the QS at the resorts and often a long walk, great for DTD too.

We did trips from the time they were 2 months old annually, for 2 week trips. Any other questions just ask.
    I'll for sure be picking our brain as we get closer!

C is usually pretty good in place when we go out to eat but I can tell on trips she sometimes hits a wall. In San Antonio we had a time out on the River Walk. Good Times. That's a good tip about picking louder places.

I think she might drop a nap by then but I think she'll be so tired we can force one. I think we will have to go back to resort though. She refuses to fall asleep if it means she will miss any action. She usually can power through late if has a nap.

Do you think 5 nights will be enough or should we go for 6(or more)?
    HauntedGabe likes this.
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

Gatorhead is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by princessariel View Post

Suggestions? Thoughts?
    I think the Contemporary would be a good bet. Not necessarily for the resort but for more of the location especially with a 3 1/2 year old. You'd be a short walk or monorail ride to the Magic Kingdom and a monorail ride form EPCOT. Plus you also have Chef Mickey's right in your back door and the possibility to see Wishes from the balcony viewing areas they have.

When my son was 3 1/2 he had his most fun at the MK so we probably could have spent all of our time there and been perfectly happy.I think for the location the Contemporary can't be beat.
    Last edited by Gatorhead; 07-22-2013 at 03:04 PM.

drumguyrobc is offline A-Ticket holder

Boardwalk is a great resort for a young child. The pool is top notch for children and location of the resort itself is perfect!

ProfScottRaynor is offline A-Ticket holder

Hard to beat Port Orleans...Good price, great pools and the resort doesn't seem as chaotic as some of the others.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

And this is another reason why we usually love POR since it opened as Dixie.

http://www.portorleans.org/images/re...ec-2013-10.pdf
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.