Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Poly or Beach Club? in the Vacation Planning forums; I am getting married at WDW in May and have our choice of resorts for our wedding night. The problem is we can decide between the Polynesian resort or the ...
    songvilay1 is offline A-Ticket holder

Poly or Beach Club?

I am getting married at WDW in May and have our choice of resorts for our wedding night. The problem is we can decide between the Polynesian resort or the Beach Club. The wedding will be at the Yacht in the garden gazebo and reception at Ariel's in the Beach club, but we love the theme and view from the Poly. Can't decide, running outta time... Any suggestions?

First of all.....CONGRATULATIONS!!!! How wonderful that you get to be married at WDW!!! I cannot speak for the Beach Club because I have never stayed there, but my DH and I honeymooned at The Poly and have stayed there on other occassions as well. The Poly is my favorite! For our honeymoon we did the Disney Cruise as well so I liked taking the theme of the tropical island setting of the Poly onto our cruise. I loved being on the monorail line at the Poly, it makes it extremly convenient to travel to and from the parks. I also enjoyed sitting in the beach cabanas at night and watching the Electrical Water Pageant and the fireworks from the MK. So....although I cannot compare the two resorts, I don't think that you could go wrong with the Polynesian. Good luck!!!!

Thanks! I'm excited and nervous, but most of all very happy!

You know that we're gonna have to buy every souvie pics at every attraction (again) but this time as a married couple. I also heard that the CM's give you a little extra attention with the Mickey and Minnie wedding ears?!

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    I have never stayed at the Poly but I did get to spend 1 night at the beach club, that said I think I would still tell you to stay at the Poly, it is nice to be on the monorail track, the gardens are lovely to walk through and it just has a more secluded romantic feel to it.
    Maggie

Quote Originally Posted by songvilay1
    Thanks! I'm excited and nervous, but most of all very happy!

You know that we're gonna have to buy every souvie pics at every attraction (again) but this time as a married couple. I also heard that the CM's give you a little extra attention with the Mickey and Minnie wedding ears?!
    YES! You MUST purchase and wear the Mickey and Minnie bride/groom ears!!!!! They will bring you lots of extra attention and special goodies! Every restaurant we ate at we would receive a special dessert or a little song. They also now have special occassion buttons like the birthday buttons that you can get free from the Guest Services, so be sure to check that out too!!!!

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    First off Congradulations!!!
    Secondly, BEACH CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Okay now that you have my vote let me tell you why!
    We spent our honeymoon there a couple of years ago. It was FANTASTIC! The location is WONDERFUL! It is between the back entrance of Epcot and MGM is a boat ride away. You can always go over to the Boardwalk by walking or boat ride in the evenings once the parks close. A midnight/late night stroll around the Boardwalk is very romantic! MK, AK, and Downtown Disney can be reached by taking a bus. Being close to Epcot allowed us to arrange dining at some of the main restaurants throughout the countries. We also love the pool and health club services at the Beach Club. Staying at the Beach Club on our honeymoon is what convinced us to join the DVC. We loved it so much and had a wonderful time there.
    I am not knocking the Poly but after walking through there and having dinner there I much prefer the Beach Club.
    The question you need to answer is are you looking for someplace that has a more tropical feel or New England boardwalk feel? That may help you decide a little more.

Whichever you choose - ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    I've stayed at both and I'd go with the Poly. You'll get that night exotic island feel and sitting on the beach watching the fireworks is so romantic. Plus, you're right at the monorail so moving around the parks will be alot quicker for you.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    BEACH CLUB! BEACH CLUB! BEACH CLUB!

We were married and honeymooned at the Yacht and Beach club 12 years ago. It is by far my favourite resort. (we had our dinner at the Yachtsman Steakhouse, I strongly recommend the chateau briand for two)

Why is it a favourite? Let's see, the sand bottom pool, Beaches and Cream ice cream shop, the hot tub built into the rocks beside the pool, the walkway around Stormalong Bay (the Boardwalk wasn't there then but I love how it looks now), the soothing colours and the lovely gardens, Cape May Cafe restaurant and their character breakfast, the CM's there (our best man was whisked to our room by a CM on a golf cart because the minister didn't have a copy of our vows and I had a copy in the room on the far end of the Beach Club side, none of which I was even aware of until after the ceremony), we were also upgraded to a jr suite from a regular room for no apparent reason which was wonderful! (I can even give you the room number if you want to request the jr suite), walking from the Beach Club side to the gazebo at the Yacht Club and having other guests stop me and take pictures and call me "Cinderella".

We returned to the Yacht and Beach Club gazebo on our 10th anniversary and took a picture of our family. DH, me, and 2 DD's.

The Poly is nice too, in fact we had our rehearsal dinner there when they used to do the Luau.

Well, that is my 2 cents worth.

Congratulations and have a wonderful time!!

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    We did the Polynesian in 2004 for our Honeymoon, and it was INCREDIBLE... we did Port Orleans last year, and it couldnt' even compare... we almost left the Port Orleans resort to move to the Polynesian after the first day!

The Polynesian has the BEST location in all of WDW... You have access to both monorails, the ferry, and the Transportation and Ticket center is right there... it's the only place in WDW where you can walk to each of those modes of transportation (the buses come fast and furious at the TTC)... in 9 days of being there, we never waiting longer than 8 minutes for ANY type of ride! Our room was in Aotereoa, which is the furthest away from everything, and it was still only a 4 minute walk...

You can watch Wishes every night from the Volcano pool, it's the best seat in the house! The Ohana's food is great, and we ate at the Kona cafe every morning... word to the wise, the portions are HUGE! For breakfast, consider getting one meal and a fruit plate...it's plenty of food for two adults!

The Polynesian pulls it's theme off perfectly... we had just come from St. Lucia, and we both thought the Polynesian resort was more tropical than the actual island we had just spent 7 days on! We're going back next year for New Year's, and we won't stay anywhere but the Polynesian!

Congratulations on your future marriage!
    Last edited by Jetjaguar; 01-26-2006 at 10:28 PM.

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    ok, i know i'm seconding everyone's opinion on the BEACH CLUB but i can't possibly think of a better resort to stay at then there!!! i must admit that as a spoiled brat it is my absolute preference but it's just my 1st choice!! from the amazing pool(stormalong bay can't be beat) to being able to go between the yacht club as well to the fantastic restaurants to the great location...i just love being able to walk right over to EPCOT and the boardwalk! overall my most favorite resort to stay at when i'm lucky enough!!! and if you can snag the great view you can even see illuminations every night, so romantic...i know that when i envision getting married(ok, so i just need to insert the groom, sigh) at the Y&B it's just so romantic...and i also grew up in a beach/new england environment but still the beach club just captures a by gone era in such a quaint and amazing way i can't imagine passing it up!! ok, enough of my fantasy world..lol! whatever resort you choose will be the right decision, so Congrats and have an amazing time!!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

Thanks guys! All great suggestions, but I think we are gonna go with the Yacht and Beach Club. I love that Epcot is right there and the view of the boardwalk at night is breathtaking. (and I get to sneak over to the ESPN Club and catch a game or 2) Illuminations is by far my most favoritestest show ever.

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Having just checked out of the BCV last night, , I have to give it an incredible recommendation, as it may have quickly jumped to the top of my list of favorite WDW resorts!

The theming, location, service, dining options, pools, views, etc. make it one of (if not THE) best on property.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    Thanks guys! All great suggestions, but I think we are gonna go with the Yacht and Beach Club. I love that Epcot is right there and the view of the boardwalk at night is breathtaking. (and I get to sneak over to the ESPN Club and catch a game or 2) Illuminations is by far my most favoritestest show ever.
    Yea for the Y&BC!!! I know you will LOVE it. Go over to ESPN and have some wings then go back to Beaches and Cream and have a Fudge Mud Slide for me OK?
    No, no, wait. Go to the Yachtsman and have the Chateaubriand for two (don't forget to say Hi to Sylvester if he is still there. ) He doesn't know me I just remember him as the best waiter ever. If my memory serves I think he likes to sing alot. Then walk over to Canada and have a beaver tail if they still have them.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Winnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    YEAH!!! I love Y&BC (As I previously stated)!!!!
    LOL!!! WDW Donna - I was just thinking before I read your post 'Beaches and Cream'...YUMMMMY!!!!!! hahahaha

songvilay1 - Try to take time to walk around the Boardwalk in the evenings to watch some of the Side Shows! But most of all CONGRATS & ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    BETH ~ I BELIEVE in Make Believe,Dreams & Wishes
    Is It time To Go Back Yet??
    Happy DVC Member - Beach Club Villas
    BCV - October 2011 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival (Met up with Lou and the Walk-about Crew! Met Deanna!
    Met the Petermans!)
    BCV - October 2010 - Family Trip & Food & Wine Festival and MNNSHP!!!
    BCV - June 2009 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2008 - MNNSHP-Just the two of us!
    BCV - May 2008 - Flower & Garden/Epcot - Just the two of us!
    BCV - January 2008 - Marathon Weekend - Just the two of us! (We finally got to meet Lou & his wonderful family)
    BCV - May 2007 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2006 Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    ASM & BCV - June 2006 Family Trip, Flower & Garden/Epcot and Star Wars!!!
    BCV - October 2005 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    OKW & BWV - March 2005 - Quick and needed fun trip! Just the two of us!
    BCV - June 2004 - Family Trip
    BCV - October 2003 - Family Trip, Anniversary, Food and Wine/Epcot & MNSHHP!!!!
    BC - Honeymoon- April 2002
    Off Site - 1997 - I was a poor college student staying with my favorite aunt!

Kenziekylanmom is offline A-Ticket holder
    We loved the Polynesian resort!!! It's so tropical and we've been to Hawaii, all over the Caribbean and New Zealand and it brought us right back to everything we love about Polynesian islands!!! Plus it's the perfect location for all of the transportation...you NEVER have to wait long!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast