Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Please help a newbie if you could!!! in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi everyone! New here (Just introduced myself on the Intro Board) I just wanted to ask a question. My husband and I recently within the past 3 years have started ...
    ttnsal is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile Please help a newbie if you could!!!

Hi everyone! New here (Just introduced myself on the Intro Board) I just wanted to ask a question. My husband and I recently within the past 3 years have started to stay on property. While I agree there is nothing like it...the whole ambiance is just thrilling..from the moment you arrive until you sadly depart, we are always in confusion when booking the resort part of our stay. We have only stayed at the Yacht Club and then twice and the Beach Club ( We just love the whole storm along bay pool thing) We are interested in staying at the Poly, but just want to make sure it is worth the price tag. We have read so many different things about it. We have three children and will be going again this May ( my oldest will be three years old next month and the youngest 8 months...I also have one in between at 18 months) We have booked and canceled and booked.....and then went to book the Wilderness Lodge and then got discouraged there (it is just overwhelming). I was wondering if I could get some feedback on the Poly with Kids! Any room # recomendations or tips I would really appreciate it. Also wondered what all you experts think of the meal plan packages.Thanks guys. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Theresa

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Hi Theresa! Welcome to the boards!

I've stayed at the Polynesian with my 18 month old son, and had a wonderful time. I would recommend a first-floor room, because the ducks and birds marching across the lawn are great free entertainment for toddlers, plus many of the second floors don't have balconies, and I don't know about your kids but third floor would be waaaay too tempting to test gravity from.

The zero-entry pool is great for the little ones, and I like that it is separated from the sandy beach area. Watching the fireworks from the beach at night is great for kids who might find the noise and the crowds overwhelming in the parks, plus the Electrical Water Pageant is right after the fireworks most nights. The monorail and the boat to the MK are very convenient, and the TTC is a short walk to get the monorail to Epcot. Even if you have a car, it's good to have these options in case one parent takes some kids back earlier.

I haven't tried the new meal plan, but with the three kids you might look into the Polynesian's Concierge rooms. The Garden View Concierge isn't much more in price than the rooms with a water view, and you get access to a lounge with food and drink from early morning to 10 p.m., including breakfast, snacks, milk, fruit juices & sodas, bottled water (in glass bottles but you could refill your own plastic ones from it), and alcohol at night for the grownups. The evening offering is enough for a light meal, and they have pb&j sandwiches at lunch and dinner. This worked out very, very well for us!

A great website for info on all thing Polynesian Resort is http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/index.html

Good luck with the planning!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

disneyveteran is offline 24 trips to the World and counting
    We absolutely love the poly. The pool is small but the atmosphere is great. And there is nothing like watching the fireworks from the beach. My kids are 5, 6 and 16 and we've been going to WDW every year since 1993. Most of our stays were at the Poly including April of this year in a concierge room. The Kona cafe has wonderful food, the plants in the center atrium always keep them captivated, and the luau is a family favorite (although it was better when Mickey was part of it). The kids love walking the paths and following the signs to where we want to go, and with the monorail right there along with the ticket and transportation center, it makes a great central location. As far as the rooms go, we always ask for ground level facing the water. That way we just go out our door to play on the beach. At night we like to stake out one of the swings and bring blankets and watch the fireworks from the castle and the water show. There is always something going on in the lobby area and the kids have done the hula many times there. We've found the staff is extremely pleasant and helpful and getting a lei when you check in is a plus.
    TINA

2009 April Boardwalk & Beach Club Villas
    2008 July Polynesian Conceierge
    2008 March Beach Club Villas
    2007 July Contemporary Concierge
    2007 April Grand Floridian Concierge/Beach Club Villas
    2006 July The Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
    2006 April Polynesian Concierge
    2005 Contemporary/Grand Floridian Concierge
    2004 Grand Floridian Concierge
    2003 Polynesian Concierge
    2002 Beach Club Villas
    2001 Polynesian
    2000 Polynesian

Thanks for the reply's guys. I am still unsure, but very excited about the trip.

Benjo is offline Cranium Commando
    Hi Ttnsal, welcome to the boards!

I can't say that I've ever stayed at the Poly, but I have eaten at a few of the restaurants there. Ohana is a great place for kids to eat dinner. It's an all you can eat table service restaurant that serves a variety of vegetables, meats, and other little sides. Everything is inspired by Pacific Island cuisine, but nothing is too strange or out of the box. What makes Ohana great with kids is all the live entertainment that they have. A few cast members with guitars or ukelaylees (sp.?) will come around during dinner and play games with the kids. It's a lot of fun for them, and gives parents a chance to relax and enjoy their dinner.

Just a thought for your trip.

You see the hat? I am Mrs. Nesbitt!

kree is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Polynesian is great, but they are currently doing refurbs on some of the buildings. I do not know if proximity to those buildings will take away from your experience. Just be aware that if they are still going on during your visit, request a building away from the construction.

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    I can't give you any insight on the Polynesian. (unfortunately it is one of the resorts I know very little about) BUT I have stayed at the Yacht and Beach Club also and it is one of my favourites! It is great for kids ( especially big ones like me. )Stormalong Bay is awsome! I would love to stay there again with my two DD's.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

OMG! This site is unreal! I cannot believe all the info...THANKS ALOT!!! WOW