Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Pop Century or Port Orleans FQ? in the Vacation Planning forums; My husband and I are debating whether or not Port Orleans FQ is worth the $300 price difference from the Pop Century. It's gonna be just the two of us, ...
    xbeccahx is offline B-Ticket Holder

Pop Century or Port Orleans FQ?

My husband and I are debating whether or not Port Orleans FQ is worth the $300 price difference from the Pop Century. It's gonna be just the two of us, so we don't have to worry about some of the things guests with children do (noise, better pools and the sort) and we really want to check out Pop Century since all the pictures we've seen have been amazing. However, on the other hand, POFQ's charm is really hard to resist, is closer to the parks, and looks like it has better meal options. I'd love to splurge for the upgrade, but since our budget is slightly limited do you think it would be worth it?
    Also, how much money would all of you Disney experts suggest on taking for 5 nights/6 days for two adults? We want to have at least one "fancy" meal on our anniversary, but the rest of the time I'm not too concerned about where or what we eat. However, I am a ****er for souveniers. Is there anything else I should think about having to pay for?
    Since I'm a severe overplanner, I'm sure in the next two months I'll remember to pick up everything I could even possibly maybe need, but is there anything out of the ordinary you suggest?
    And is a backpack too hot to wear all day? And what kind of weather do you expect for the last week of April? (The windchill is -40 below today and I don't even remember what hot weather feels like!)
    Okay, well obviously I got carried away here!
    Thankyou!
    Stopping in the middle is distinctly unpatriotic. - Sam the Eagle

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    My DH and I went on a trip in Oct by ourselves. We originally were going to stay at Pop Century but decided to splurge on Port Orleans-Riverside. It was very nice, peaceful, quiet, beautiful. i haven't been to Pop at all so I really can't say anything about it. We enjoyed ourselves greatly and I would love to go back.

I found a purse that looked a lot like a backpack that I took on our last two trips. I liked being able to carry what I wanted but it wasn't too bulky.

There a a lot of romantic "fancy" meals to choose from. Enjoy your trip!

Nenny_Mouse is offline Fastpass Holder
    Pop Century is Nice if you just want a place to stay. It has LOTS of kids, esp during meal times and at the pools. If yu want quietness, you might want to go with Port Orleans. I took my kids to Pop Century in Sept and it was PACKED .

I agree with the backpack too. Its sooo much easier than a purse and can double as a bag for yur swim stuff if yu go to like Splash Lagoon, and as a carryon bag for an airplane ride.

As for money..... cant help you there. Hubby and I took 2 kids and over a grand (for meals and souvenirs) and ended up putting $300 on our credit card. I too am a ****er for disney items . Have fuN!
    Karen S.K. fellow scrapbooker and disney addict since September 12th, 1985

It all started with a mouse..... and noone in my family can stop it!!!:mickey:

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Hmm I like the Port Orleans. It's a nice get away spot.

Port Orleans FQ is beautiful spot for couples on a budget. The riverside decor is like many of Disney's deluxe hotels, as is the romance factor, but the price is considerably less! The French Quarter offers a peaceful, urban alternative.

The Pop Century is LOADED TO THE BRIM with children. I am telling you. It is crazy lol. So, for the peaceful and charming factor, go to Port Orleans.

For your shopping and souveniers... Jackson Square Gifts and Desires is a shop located at Port Orleans Square. It features Disney character merchandise, clothing bearing the resort logo, and sundries.

There is lots of biking, boating, and carriage rides.

Price-wise:
    Port Orleans FQ - Rooms (4) cost from $155 (Value rates) to $199 (Peak rates)
    Pop Century - Rooms (4) cost from $91 (Value Rates) to $127 (Peak Rates)

Check in time is 3 p.m. for Port Orleans and 4 p.m. for Pop Century
    Check out time is 11 a.m.

Please call 407 - 934 - 7639 for reservations
    Last edited by DisneyFREAK91; 02-18-2006 at 11:29 PM.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

You know what, I completely forgot to even think about check in times! Our flight gets in at like 11:30 a.m. which sort of poses a problem. I hope they let us leave our carry-on stuff somewhere and then just have magical express take care of our luggage until we can check in.
    Thankyou for reminding me! I'm so absentminded these days.
    AND I have another question. Does anyone have any idea how the crowds will be Apr. 24-29? I've read that it's a low peak time as most kids are still in school and done with spring break, but I can't imagine this having much of an impact on the intoxicating power of Disney. Haha.

You're very welcome xbeccahx!

Oh, and about crowd patters...

Last week of April through May = Average attendance - Refers to times when there are lots of people around but lines are definately manageable. Usually around 5 min. to 30 min. for most attractions. (Just consider the fact that Most crowded attendance usually poses 1hr. long waits)

Now, about the check-in time dilemma. What we did is got our park tickets early and simply stopped by the park for a little while, then we went back, checked in, and we went back to Magic Kingdom with already half of it explored.

What is happening in April when you go?
    Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival - Epcot is blooming with elaborate gradents including more than 30 million fragrant blossoms and topiary displays, behind the scenes tours, gardening workshops, concerts, and guest speakers.

I tried to find the weather, but it's too early for predictions. But, if I had to guess with my analysis of weather patterns...
    When you arrive it might be rather hot, around lower 90's. But, later in your vacation, the weather will drop day-by-day. Well, you are arriving on a Monday so then it might be upper 80's, rise on Tuesday, and begin to drop later in the week.

It's not 100% but that's what I have concluded

Well I guess we're gonna go with Pop Century. The extra $300 is key here. Sad, because I really had my heart set on PO FQ, but as we're building a new house right now (paying a mortgage and ridiculously high rent) my husband reminded me we need to budget where we can! Oh well I just know we'll be going back many, many times for the rest of our lives and hopefully get a chance to stay at all the beautiful resorts. We'll start small for now! And I know we'll be well taken care of on any Disney property.
    Thanks so much for everyone's input and all the great info about what's going on when we go from DisneyFREAK91! If you have any ideas about the other stuff don't be shy!

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    About the check in time, that can really get tweaked. We went in aug/sept with a flight that got us to the hotel around 1. We had planned our carryons and everything so that we would have to bring them to the park w/ us(bc we planned on doing AK) Well we got there and they had our rooms ready. We didnt even have to wait. Our bags got there while we were at the park (we were doing the shuttle so they took care of our bags) and we could change for dinner.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

Scrap-Vamp is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Hey Becca - hope you have a great time on your trip! My fiance and I are spending our two year anniversary at Disney and we also arrive on April 24th but are staying at POFQ (but we're coming from England and have saved for about a year to afford it, so I understand your budgeting needs!)

We're really looking forward to the Flower Festival and also eating at several of the deluxe resorts as we want to scope out accomodation for when we get married, which we hope will be in Orlando in a few years (lots more saving to do!). I think strolling around some of the deluxe resorts in the evening will make for nice romantic moments in itself.

Oyr main fancy meal is going to be at the California Grill which I have booked to coincide with Wishes the night after we arrive, but this is a big surprise for my fiance We will also be watching Wishes from Ohana on our last night for a contrasting yet complimentary experience
    Jen xXx

Oooh Disney wedding! I'm so jealous! Congratulations, though. I hope you have a wonderful time on your trip. If we see you there we'll wave! And, if we by some miracle, end up being able to afford POFQ maybe we can meet and say 'hello'. I love meeting new people (though I completely understand the awkwardness and hesitance of meeting someone from the internet).
    Anywho, I hope you have a great time! My husband and I are going for our first anniversary, but I haven't gotten around to making any dinner reservations, which I think I'm going to soon strongly regret.
    I hope you have a great time on your trip and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

Scrap-Vamp is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for the congrats

You still have plenty of time to make dinner reservations - I made the one for California Grill a couple of months ago because I was specific on date, but the others I just made on Monday And got exactly what I was after!

I've met a few people from the internet (I'm a scrapbooker!) so it would be nice to meet up - I'll have to send you a photo nearer the time so you know what we look like lol!
    Jen xXx

Awesome! That would be fun to meet up! I love the UK, though I've never been there and would love to meet someone from there. We'll have to figure out closer to when we go where to meet up and such. Yay! I'm so excited about everything I absolutely cannot wait to go! I'll give you a picture also when it gets closer to the date and if you have a cell we can exchange numbers so it'll be easier to find each other.
    How long of a flight do you have? Just wondering because I really have no idea. Major jet lag I bet!

Ok, I definately understand the budget restraints. And that's ok. Hmm, well, I can't think of any other "special events" taking place. But, I'll be sure to inform you on ANYTHING else you need.

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    When i went in december the room was ready when i got there at 1pm

carebear4er is offline A-Ticket holder
    Hi! Just wanted to put in my two cents. We stayed at POP last May and are staying there again this May 06. I didn't really notice it been overly crowded with kids. Its just me and the hubby(we were celebrating our honeymoon). We checked in, and went right out and did so everyday. It's pretty much just a place to crash. So for the price and its a Disney resort I am glad you chose to stay at Pop. POFQ is nice and we were thinking about staying there as well but just couldn't see spending the extra cash on a room we only will be sleeping in.

I hope you have a great time no matter where you stay. Its Disney World!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast