Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss How about the Saratoga Springs Resort? in the Vacation Planning forums; My wife and I are being treated to a trip to Disney by our good friends (really good friends, since this was a surprise Christmas gift). We're heading down the ...
    C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...

How about the Saratoga Springs Resort?

My wife and I are being treated to a trip to Disney by our good friends (really good friends, since this was a surprise Christmas gift).

We're heading down the second week in May, and they let us know we're staying at the Saratoga Springs Resort.

They brought over the Disney trip planning DVD, and there was a short segment on the resort itself. I figured with the wealth of knowledge around here, there would probably be a good chance I could get more detailed reviews or opinions on that resort.

If the choice had been mine, I would have preferred the Animal Kingdom Lodge, or Wilderness Lodge myself. Since it's not my dime, and I'm just psyched to get to go at all, I'll definitely take a deluxe resort!

I know that it's new, but what I found sort of odd was the fact that when I pulled up a pdf file that shows a map of the whole property, I couldn't find it listed anywhere. I know that it's close to Downtown, because there's a walkway from the resort there.

If anyone could give me the low down, or any additional information, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks...
    I do not suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it - Edgar Allan Poe

TinkerBell702 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Fabulous Resort. My fiance were upgraded to this resort one time and truly enjoyed it. We loved it so much we were thinking of purchasing Saratogo's Vacation Club. Very relaxing resort. More a home away from home then a hotel.
    Annual Passholder.

C#ern@b0g is offline I have great faith in fools; self-confidence, my friends call it...
    Thanks, TinkerBell.

I almost think that the kitchenette isn't really necessary for us, since we have the Disney Dining plan, but the idea of having the suite feel like home is definitely appealing. Did you sample any of the spa offerings, or just enjoy the room?

We were only there for 3 days, so we did not take advantage of the Spa. We went to take a look at it and it looked fabulous. We stayed at the 1 Bedroom Sweet. It had a bedroom and living room. The best part was the bathroom and the view. We had a jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. Our view overlooked Downtown Disney. We took a nice walk there one night and went to dinnner at Rainforest Cafe. The other night we went to Cape May for the All you Can Eat Clambake (and oreo Bon Bons yum) We have the Dinning Experience Card and dot use the kitchenette either. But then agian we were not paying full price for the room. I recommend renting a bike and biking around the resort.
    Annual Passholder.

Tink -

Thanks for your review. I've been checking any site that has a review of the resort, and I'm trying to be as objective as possible. There are a lot of reviews from last year where people complain about the construction still going on, so I can rule those sort of complaints out.

The most common thread of concern is that the place is just too dang big for it's own good, and it takes a hike to get to the pool or the Carriage House.

The most interesting tidbit that I read in one review was that the buses there go straight to the parks, and don't make stops at any other resort. Can you confirm or deny? They mentioned that you do get some "stragglers" on the bus to the resort, because some people walk from there to Downtown Disney for a shortcut.

I'm a bit torn, because I personally would like to be at a resort that's a little closer to the action. I can also understand why someone would want to stay somewhere that's tucked out of the way.

I'm determined to have a good time, so that's not even an issue. It is Disney after all!

The ladies in our party definitely want to experience some of the spa pampering. I'll pass along their yay! or nay on that when we return...

C
    We were there during construction and it didn't really bother us.

It is a huge resort and it was a small hike from our room to the bus stop and a huge hike to the main lobby (where the pool was located) I think it all depends where your toom is located

I think we might have been the only resort where the bus went, or we might have picked up Caribbean if we picked up any. I have been to so many resorts I cant remember.

I thought it was prime location where we were. Not close to any park but EPCOT but you could walk(a short but pleasant one) to Downtown Disney and catch a bus to any resort you wanted, that where the stagglers come in (we didn't notice many)

Like I said it is more of a realxing resort then a hotel. Your firends that are treating you....are the VCM, or do they know someone who is or did they buy points off of someone? Usually it is hard to get into SS unless you are a VCM, that was what I was told. My favorite hotel experience was concierge at the Grand Floridian. Now thats relaxing and close to the action.
    Annual Passholder.

Tink -

Although I think that almost anyone would want to try out the Floridian. I'd love to get to stay there myself. My wife went there for spring break in college, and they were on some sort of special package(I know they didn't have the dining plan then, but I'm sure they had something else). She remembers eating there for breakfast, and her group literally ordering one of everything on the menu.

I think that the fact that I have a full week there will make Saratoga a good fit. That whole laid back and relaxed seclusion will be a nice bonus. I don't know if I'll like lugging myself a long ways to the pool, but maybe I'll be lucky enough to get a room near the quiet pool.

I don't think the treating friends are VCM, so I suppose they had some special deal going on to get into Saratoga Springs.

Since I'm not actually involved in that part of the planning, I'm not really that sure of anything going on. I suppose a little uncertainty is a small price to pay when you're being treated like a king! I personally won't have any problems where we stay, as long as it's a Disney resort.

I know it's a bit off topic of Saratoga Springs, but can you tell me how much of a difference the concierge service was at the Grand Floridian? I'd like to know if you'd recommend it, or felt that since the CM's are so willing to help you out in general that it wasn't really that much more special.

Thanks...

I have only done concierge at the Grand Floridian, I have never done a regular room there. It was my birthday and we were supposed to stay at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and we got switched. I was also proposed to that night , so it worked out perfect. We were there during the Food and Wine Fest. Breakfast was deluxe continental(cereal, fruit, cheese, crackers, pasteries, coffe, cappachunico, etc) Snacks were bake goods,fruit, candy. ****tail hour was Awesome, samplings from the Food and Wine Fest (International food and wine and beer) There was also non-alcoholic drinks all day. They treated us really well...turn down service, B-day cake delivered with baloons and card, towel animals, re-scheduling dinner reservation. Highly recommend it, if you can swing it, especially for a romatic getaway. VERY PRICEY, we will do it for a honeymoon getaway, but probably won't do concierge besides that
    Annual Passholder.