Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Resorts & Accomodations Discuss Camping at Disney in the Vacation Planning forums; This is our first time taking our camper to the Fort Wilderness campgrounds!!!! Any tips and suggestions from my fellow RVers??? Is the campground worth it? What are your feelings ...
    DisneyrBUST is offline A-Ticket holder

Camping at Disney

This is our first time taking our camper to the Fort Wilderness campgrounds!!!!

Any tips and suggestions from my fellow RVers???
    Is the campground worth it? What are your feelings about golf cart rentals on property? Any bit of info will be appreciated! Have a magical day!

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I would say it is definitely worth it. I've stayed there lots of times and I would say that it is easily the best campground I have ever stayed in (my parents are big RVers).

we never rented a golf cart, but I can certainly see how that would be fun and convenient. my only advice is that you should always try and overestimate how long it will take you to get to different places. I don't know how the transportation system works down there now (haven't stayed at Fort Wilderness in probly about 10 years), but the way it useta work is that you would walk to the end of your street and catch a tram to the bus stop. so basically, you would hafta wait on a bus before you wait on a bus, or ferry, or whatever. know what I mean?

anywho, FW is my favorite resort simply for the tons of fond memories I have, hopefully it'll be the same for you and your family.

p.s.
    on a side note, the logo when we useta stay there was this:

which I like a heckuva lot better than the new one, which is this:

Last edited by the7thAve; 11-04-2006 at 01:08 AM.

If we can dream it, we can do it

I will PM a link to this thread to our resident Fort Wilderness family! I'm sure that Maggie would be happy to answer any and all questions that you may have!

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    FW is easily the nicest campground you will ever stay at. If you have small kids or slightly inpatient tendencies in your group a golf cart is nice to have(but not necessary). Fw is very large and has an internal bus system to help you get to the main bus depots, there are 2. Take a close look at the info you get at check in then just go for a bus ride to help you get a feel for things. Most important to know is which color route you are on, yellow, orange, or purple if you know that you will always be able to get easily back to your sight. If you also know which stop is settlement(the stop for Pioneer Hall and the boats to MK, WL and CR) and which is outpost(the stop by the parking lot, pick up bus for most parks, check the guide at c/i it changes from time to time)you will have all the info to get out of FW to any park. If your family has bikes to bring that is a nice way to get around without using the internal bus or a golf cart(they rent for about $50/day). Car traffic is limited within the campground so that won't be a concern for bikers/walkers. If you have any other questions, post them here and I will answer as soon as I can.
    Maggie

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    We have thought about staying here, but all we have are tents. We don't have an RV. Would you recommend staying in tents here?
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

Tents are just fine for Disney, as long as you plan for the weather. The camping loops set aside for tents have electric and water are all sites are a short walk to the comfort stations(bath house). I have never really been into tent camping myself but if I had to I could do it at Disney and feel very safe and comfortable. Each site will have a smaller(than a full hookup site) paved area to park your car, and a large sand area to set up the tents. The picnic table can be moved around, but the grill cannot. If you don't want to be in the tent loop(they tend to be farther out from the trading posts and other areas)you can camp at a full hook up site but the cost is about $10.00 more for a standard or $20.00 for preferred. The prefferd sites are closer to the Pioneer Hall area and have cable hook up.
    Maggie

nick.jeschke is offline Annual Passholder
    Take me with you! I love Fort Wilderness Campground! Tents are great, just remember to zip up the windows if it is going to rain...yea, Dad was not too happy. My cot was still dry, his was not. And I was the one who left it open. Bikes are also a must (if you can)! And the Sing Along campfire & movies are always a blast. I have so many fun memories at those. Also, I remember that the Water Parade comes around 10pm there! I know its simple, but I love it. Just sitting along the beach, watching the floats go by. Always a great time! So...can I come along? LOL!

DisneyrBUST is offline A-Ticket holder
    WOW!!!! thanks for all the helpful hints, disney lovers!!!!

We rented a 'preferred' site. I don't really know what that means...Could anyone help? Also, which is a good loop as far as being scenic, yet near 'things'? Is there a way to request a specific loop? Thanks again, happy campers!!!!

As far as I remember, you can request loops. But it depends on the alvibality and such. If I were you, I would look for a loop that is in between the trading post/bike barn and the crocketts tavern area. Uh...let me find a map...here are some loops I suggest...700, 400, 600, and 800. A VERY fun loop that is close to all you need is the 100 & 200 loop. I have never camped in that one myself, but it is very close to the docks and everything. Somehow, I think it is a loop saved for people staying quite a long time. Tell you what, go here http://www.wdwinfo.com/resortmaps/fortwilderness.htm and check it out. It is an older map, but nothing much has changed. So your good there. Just dont expect to go to river country...

Since you requested a preffered loop, you will get one of those mentioned above. Preffered loops have full hookups(water, electric, sewer) plus they will have cable hookups. All of the loops are quite pretty and give a feeling of privacy, unless they have just cleaned out underbrush(done from time to time to cut down fire hazard)even then you will have trees and shrubs between you and the next site. The preffered loops are generally close to things, but since FW is so big and has many "things" to be near it is hard to get close to everything.
    Maggie

Let's all go camping at Fort Wilderness!!!!

mrmouse is offline A-Ticket holder
    Like other people have already said, Fort Wilderness is the cleanest campground you will ever stay in. We've RV camped and tent camped there. There were only two downsides to tent camping. One was rain. No matter how hard we try it seems impossible to keep the floor of the tent from getting soaked when it rains. Although the upside to that was when we tore down the tent at the end of the trip, we found a toad underneath it. Our son played with the toad the entire rest of the time we were packing and was sad to have to let him go. Don't you love the unexpected magic that happens every trip? The second was that we we're 10 ft from the road and those buses can be very loud when your trying to sleep. If you tent camp, I would recommend staying in a partial to full hook up loop. We pretty much had the comfort station all to ourselves almost everytime at our partial hookup site. The 700 and 800 loops are great but I seem to recall you couldn't reserve a spot in a specific loop, you can request it but there are no guarantess that you will get the one you want. We never rent the golf carts, however, the bus system can be very frustrating at times. Sometimes we rode different colored bus routes to a certain point close to our campsite and walked from there. We only did this a few times after waiting 20 -30 minutes for a bus. Overall, I rate it the best resort there. The amount of activities available here make it such a great resort. We always plan a half if not a whole day just for doing things in the resort. We're going to stay in a cabin for one night this next trip as a splurge. Only 22 days to go but who's counting?
    Disneyland in October '07?

Everyone will always count down to the day they get to go to Disney World.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Stitch View Post
    Let's all go camping at Fort Wilderness!!!!
    Actually...that sounds like a great idea! Like a DWT.com Fort Wilderness Campground "Camptogether"!

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    We've stayed there twice, and couldn't have been happier (we had a caravan of a bunch of firefighters and their families driving from CONNECTICUT!!) We had a blast, but I do agree with overestimating the time it will take to get to the parks. We loved the Hoop-De-Do Review and petting zoo. I haven't been in about 10 years, so I don't know if the petting zoo is still there, but it was a blast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast