Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss movie ride in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; does anybody know if they are getting rid of the movie ride....? I heard rumors that they are. l love that ride they cant do that. I also just heard ...
    peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder

movie ride

does anybody know if they are getting rid of the movie ride....? I heard rumors that they are. l love that ride they cant do that. I also just heard they might get rid of the alien scene. Does anybody know about this?
    shannon

C-Howdizzle is offline E-Ticket Holder
    22 DRIVING hours away from WDW...(Chi-town)
    i heard this 2
    Iv been ON space mountain when the lights were on!!! not in line...i was ON THE RIDE!!! I know your jealous...

2008 Upcoming- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2007- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2006- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2005- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2004- Port Orleans French Quarter
    2003- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    2002- Carribean Beach Resort
    2000- Disney Institute (with School Friend)

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I've heard that they may be getting rid of the Alien scene, but not the whole ride.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    I've heard that they may be getting rid of the Alien scene, but not the whole ride.
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ead.php?t=9523
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

FriendOfTigger is offline A-Ticket holder
    Untrue rumors, yet again? What would we do with a full-sized scale exact replica of Grauman's Chinese Theater, other than a tribute to the classics? (BTW... Alien is a classic. Love it.) They also can't do much with some of the things they have on display, like the Lockheed Electra 12A in the Casablanca scene... that's the actual plane from the movie set. It's preserved in the ride. TGMR might see some additions, but you'll still get to follow the yellowbrick road all the way through Alien, Indiana Jones, and your other favorites for a long time. (the alien rumor sprouted from the refurb of this section--the alien is no longer as close to the guests as it once was--that's the only change that has been made)

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by FriendOfTigger View Post
    Untrue rumors, yet again?...

...They also can't do much with some of the things they have on display, like the Lockheed Electra 12A in the Casablanca scene... that's the actual plane from the movie set. It's preserved in the ride.
    I don't know much about The Great Movie Ride being removed rumor, considering I've not yet heard that one myself. But I had heard some talk of the Alien scene being removed. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I don't believe any rumors I hear with any real certainty until I hear them confirmed by Disney, which in this case, I have not.

HOWEVER, as for the Electra you mentioned being from the original movie, I'm not so sure. I'm quoting directly from Lou's first book here as I say this, but...

Quote Originally Posted by The Walt Disney World Trivia Book, Volume 1, page 162
    OK... this is one of those "Urban Legends" that just wont die. I'm sorry to say, the Casablanca plane wont be found anywhere in WDW. In fact, you wont find it anywhere... because it never existed. Contrary to popular belief, the aircraft used in the final scene of the movie classic, where Rick and Ilsa part, wasn't real...

...The soundstage used for filming the last scene was too small to accommodate a full-sized airplane. So the studio build half- and quarter-size replicas of a Lockheed Electra 12A out of plywood and balsa wood. No one knows exactly how the rumor started that the plane in The Great Movie Ride was the "real" one from Casablanca...

...It's said that Disney bought a real Lockheed 12A plane and chopped it in half, putting the front in The Great Movie Ride and the back in the Studio's Backlot Tour.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

FriendOfTigger is offline A-Ticket holder
    i didn't intend to imply that it was a real plane.... of course it's fake... it's a SET PIECE. However, the one used in filming in 1948 is the one on display in the ride. A real plane wouldn't need speakers to make it sound so realistic! And, to state my sources:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...AttractionPage

Tips and Fun Facts Section.
    Straight from the Mouse.
    (cast knows all the cool stuff, don't we?)

MiraNova23 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    (the alien rumor sprouted from the refurb of this section--the alien is no longer as close to the guests as it once was--that's the only change that has been made)
    Augh, and this was the first time I liked it being so close. My brother's gf had just broken up with him THAT morning, so he was in a bad mood and bummed, and demanded to sleep in the back corner of the car. Well, being the loving sister I am, I woke him up so that when he opened his eyes, he saw the alien only a few inches from his face. I wish I'd gotten his reaction on camera. Priceless!

Anyways... Yeah, no pirates. Revamp at all? I don't know. But yes, the CMs seemed more robotic at times than the AAs...
    My
    (If I'm here, then I'm probably supposed to be animating instead.)

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    i didn't intend to imply that it was a real plane.... of course it's fake... it's a SET PIECE. However, the one used in filming in 1948 is the one on display in the ride. A real plane wouldn't need speakers to make it sound so realistic! And, to state my sources:

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/wdw...AttractionPage

Tips and Fun Facts Section.
    Straight from the Mouse.
    (cast knows all the cool stuff, don't we?)
    Well, the tips and fun facts section there didn't make any mention of the Electra, even after I tried refreshing the page a few times. But anyway, the point of the quote was not to highlight the fact that it isn't real... that much should be pretty obvious to everyone. My intent was instead aimed at pointing out the fact that, at least according to Lou's book, the plane in the TGMR is not the same one used in the filming. I'm not trying to take sides, or say that either of you are right or wrong... I'm hardly qualified to make such statements. All I'm trying to say that there is the possibility it's not the same set piece as was used in the filming, as you originally stated that it was. Hence why I used the phrase "I'm not so sure" in my earlier reply.
    -Don-

You're both correct... sort of. LOL! The actual plane used (for the one scene filmed outside) is not found at a Disney park (as Lou said in his book) however the actual set prop used to film the other scenes that were done on a sound stage is. So... you're both right, and so is Lou.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/casablan.htm
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 02-06-2007 at 08:02 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    personally i hate the alien scene
    i can do without it!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

For those who have passion around the Alien scene - there is a thread going on this topic where you can post your thoughts...

http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ead.php?t=9523

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    You're both correct... sort of. LOL! The actual plane used (for the one scene filmed outside) is not found at a Disney park (as Lou said in his book) however the actual set prop used to film the other scenes that were done on a sound stage is. So... you're both right, and so is Lou.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/parks/casablan.htm
    Ok, just what we needed to clear this all up... a third theory!
    ... I need to go watch Casablanca again.
    -Don-

Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    Ok, just what we needed to clear this all up... a third theory!
    ... I need to go watch Casablanca again.
    LOL! Well I can at least tell you that snopes.com is known for the amount of research they do to prove a myth true or false. I trust them because if they've been unable to find the true answer, they say so. Sooooo......

disneyimagineer is offline You may notice that I'm not all here myself
    Quote Originally Posted by peterpanflight View Post
    does anybody know if they are getting rid of the movie ride....? I heard rumors that they are. l love that ride they cant do that. I also just heard they might get rid of the alien scene. Does anybody know about this?
    They can't get rid of the Great Movie Ride! It was the Disney/MGM Studios' first attraction!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."-Walt Disney
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!
    Can you stand on your head?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast