Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Cast Member Nametags in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; They were selling the last of the old red GOH badges at Property Control in late 2004. There were only a few names left and they were marked down to ...
    SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    They were selling the last of the old red GOH badges at Property Control in late 2004. There were only a few names left and they were marked down to a dime. I don't know what they have now but that's what happened to the last of those.

MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder
    I've gotta concure with others. If you are fortunate to have a small piece of Disney property (which is what it is), don't be foolish enough to wear them to the parks. You WILL be caught and WILL lose them.

BTW, I still have my one from the Millenium celebration, any takers?

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    Cast members are only allowed to wear their nametags while working and in costume. If you were to walk through the parks as a Guest, while wearing a CM nametag, you should expect problems.
    Sam's right. I accidentally left my CM nametag pinned to my backpack one day ( i did that so i wouldnt drop it while changing in the locker rooms) , and i happened to be meeting friends at epcot for dinner, so i left by the front gate. security stopped me and asked me how i got a nametag... when they found out i was a CM, they made me take it off and put it in my pocket. good thing too, i was wondering why folks kept stopping me and asking when the 3 o'clock parade starts. (inside joke, Sam and Donna will get it, i hope)
    Last edited by BryanFykes; 12-22-2005 at 10:45 PM.

clara is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanFykes
    good thing too, i was wondering why folks kept stopping me and asking when the 3 o'clock parade starts. (inside joke, Sam and Donna will get it, i hope)

That's right up there with standing in the middle of Liberty Square dressed in as a HM Maid, nametag and all, rearranging strollers ... and then a guest comes up, looks at you -- then looks at your nametag -- looks at your dress -- and then asks: "Do you work here?" ... it's classic.

Quote Originally Posted by clara

That's right up there with standing in the middle of Liberty Square dressed in as a HM Maid, nametag and all, rearranging strollers ... and then a guest comes up, looks at you -- then looks at your nametag -- looks at your dress -- and then asks: "Do you work here?" ... it's classic.
    We could turn this into a "what the dumbest thing a Disney guest ever asked you" thread.

I often lost my nametag and wore another, and since my name is spelt with a "y" i refused to wear "Brian" if they had it. keeping in mind that i am a tall, skinny (well, i was then), pale skinned, red haired, blue-eyed, pasty irish looking fellow- My favorite was Bernardo, from Bucharamonga, Columbia. I also had Luckner, Ocpp, Haiti.

<standing dirctly in front of the Pinocchio's Village Haus Restrooms>
    Guest "sir, where are the restrooms?"
    "Luckner"- "do you see that building right over there?" <disney point at the Castle>
    Guest- "yeah, thanks"
    "Luckner"-<under breath> that aint it...

Guest- funny, you dont look like you are from Columbia
    "Bernardo"-my folks were involved in the international drug trade and my dad's boss was named Bernardo. i was born in his villa in Columbia, so my folks honored me with his great name.
    Guest- <choke> really?
    "Bernardo"- yep, but don't tell anybody, im in the witness protection program...

What were they going to do, report me to GR? I always carried my right nametag in my pocket so that if I told one of those stories, I could take it off and replace it right away!!!

But the Best-
    I worked at Little Big top, serving syrupy sweet snowcones all day long.
    we used to have a fair amount of yellow jacket wasps hanging around, and at least once a day, somebody would ask, "do those bees sting?"
    Me-"nope, they are magic bees that are friends of Mickey's, they are friendly" then I would proceed to squirt a little syrup onto my fingers and get one to land there. as long as you held still and didnt try to hurt them they would just sit there. FREAKED FOLKS OUT, including my co-workers.

AAAAH, memories.

What were they going to do, report me to GR? I always carried my right nametag in my pocket so that if I told one of those stories, I could take it off and replace it right away!!!
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

Not to get too off track, but I gotta respond to that:

My all time favorite! Imagine me standing in front of Swiss Family Treehouse in Magic Kingdom.

Guest: "Can you tell me how to get to Snow White's Castle?"
    Me: "Certainly! Walk straight over that bridge and turn right."
    Guest: "Okay, that sounds easy."
    Me: "Hold on now, there's more. Walk to the end of the street and under the train station."
    Guest: "Okay."
    Me: "Then get on the monorail and---"
    Guest: "Monorail?"
    Me: "Yes, the monorail. Then take a tram to your car---"
    Guest: "But we have a Priority Seating in 10---"
    Me: "And then drive to the Orlando International Airport. Purchase a ticket for LA, and when your plane lands, hail a cab to Disneyland. Upon entering the park, Snow White's Castle will be directly straight ahead."
    Guest: "Nooooooooooo, the castle here, in this park!!!"
    Me: "Oh, I see. Well, that is Cinderella's Castle. Quite a different route you'll want to take. That is straight over the bridge and to the left."
    Guest: (Quite confused) "Um, thanks."

I still cannot believe they let me carry that on that long, it still cracks me up.

And back to nametags: I loved to swipe the crazy ones too! My favorite was Shayla.

Actually ... is Disneyland Sleeping Beauty's Castle? Maybe it is. I used to know for sure ... and at the time of my interaction with said guest. Things are getting blurry in my late 20's.

Quote Originally Posted by clara

Guest: "Can you tell me how to get to Snow White's Castle?"
    Me: "Certainly! Walk straight over that bridge and turn right."
    Guest: "Okay, that sounds easy."
    Me: "Hold on now, there's more. Walk to the end of the street and under the train station."
    Guest: "Okay."
    Me: "Then get on the monorail and---"
    Guest: "Monorail?"
    Me: "Yes, the monorail. Then take a tram to your car---"
    Guest: "But we have a Priority Seating in 10---"
    Me: "And then drive to the Orlando International Airport. Purchase a ticket for LA, and when your plane lands, hail a cab to Disneyland. Upon entering the park, Snow White's Castle will be directly straight ahead."
    Guest: "Nooooooooooo, the castle here, in this park!!!"
    Me: "Oh, I see. Well, that is Cinderella's Castle. Quite a different route you'll want to take. That is straight over the bridge and to the left."
    Guest: (Quite confused) "Um, thanks."

A guest comes up and asks my buddy (sadly i cant claim this one as my own) where a bathroom that isnt closed for cleaning is. substitute bathroom for the castle in the above exchange, but send him not to the airport, but to the Studios.

he asks why.. i chimed in that all the bathrooms are being closed at once today, to test the parks plumbing capacity. he asks if we think he could use one at one of the resorts, and we told him that they are all tied together. the Studios was the only one "off the grid" and he would have to go there.

We got in trouble for that one.

Where do you work now, incidentally? were you on the CP?
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    Quote Originally Posted by BryanFykes
    Sam's right. I accidentally left my CM nametag pinned to my backpack one day ( i did that so i wouldnt drop it while changing in the locker rooms) , and i happened to be meeting friends at epcot for dinner, so i left by the front gate. security stopped me and asked me how i got a nametag... when they found out i was a CM, they made me take it off and put it in my pocket. good thing too, i was wondering why folks kept stopping me and asking when the 3 o'clock parade starts. (inside joke, Sam and Donna will get it, i hope)
    Since I worked at EPCOT for me it was the 3 o'clock fireworks. I was there for the 20th anniversary and they came up with this "brilliant" idea of having daytime fireworks. We affectionatly called it Mistake on the Lake. I can't for the life of me remember what the real name was!
    Oh yeah....Surprise in the Skies!

On the funny story topic, I used to get people come to my refreshment cart and ask me to say something in Canadian...eh.

I also had a man hand me back a Canadian penny that had made it into my change drawer claiming he didn't want it because it wasn't worth as much. He was serious!

I also used to get people come up to me in the heat of the summer and wonder how I was handling the heat since it was so cold where I come from!
    aaahhhhh memories.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Walt Disney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    You want cast member nametags? You can't handle cast member nametags! Or can you? Well, take a look at this:

I bet I have more nametags than any of you.

Here's the rest of my collection (including the above):
    http://ninjabynight.com/nbnforum/viewtopic.php?t=85
    Last edited by Walt Disney; 01-31-2006 at 01:51 AM.
    Mickey is the mouse that made me the man I am.

Visit the Disney Cast Member Nametag Museum!

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    That is really neat
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

esigsby is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Last edited by esigsby; 02-14-2007 at 05:08 PM.

rhodisney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Well since you guys have said the red GOH tags are history, I guess I'll cherish mine. Since I have a somewhat unusual name..(Rhoda), the folks at the little round building at the entrance of MGM didn't carry that one &engraved my name into the tag themselves. Best $4 souvenier I ever got. My daughter was a CM last spring and she keeps her name tag in her scrapbook now.
    Planning our 11th trip!!!
    Week after Christmas 2007POP Century
    Loved the new Pirates movie!!

Big-Ken is offline A-Ticket holder
    Just because you buy a nametag, doesnt mean that cast members will treat you better than everyone else.

dwellspompano is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I have one also I bought it a few years back. It is true that CMs will notice you by name and interact with you, I got on the Jungle Cruise and the captian said Hi David and then told EVERYONE to say hi to me (heehee) I felt special and probably had a few guests wondering who I was. On the otherhand you have to be prepared. Being single and a big kid at heart I travel alone toWDW frequently I only live a few hours away ...anyway I digressed... ALOT of guests have mistaken me for a real CM and asked me questions... most of which I just answer and go along my way... sometimes I have to explain I am not a CM and polietly point them in the direction of a real CM.
    Last edited by dwellspompano; 08-12-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast