Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Secrets of WDW Discuss Another prop for WDW! (locked baby in the van) in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; This isn't really a 'secret', and in fact, I hope none of you ever have to find this out, as we did. We were leaving.....AK....I believe it was, the other ...
    HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder

Another prop for WDW! (locked baby in the van)

This isn't really a 'secret', and in fact, I hope none of you ever have to find this out, as we did.

We were leaving.....AK....I believe it was, the other day. I decided to walk to the van (all the way out in Dinosaur!) since I'm trying to really REALLY make an effort to lose some weight, and looking for all opportunities for more exercise. Dh and the girls rode the tram, and I pushed the 2 y/o in his stroller for a nice powerwalk. Well, I got there before dh, since we were leaving as park closed, and trams were packed, waits, etc.

I get to the van, get him buckled in. Get the stroller back in the hatch of the van, got our bag and cooler put away, etc. I then (Praise the Lord!) turned on the van and cranked the air, full, since it was a little stuffy. Pushed the lock button to lock all doors, but then opened the passenger door and stood outside the van, shutting the door, and then CLICK went the rest of the locks! I LOCKED MY TWO YEAR OLD IN THE VAN!!! Again, praise God I had just cranked the air, or I would really be panicky.

Dh and the girls got there about a minute later, and I told him the bad news. He immediately went to flag down security in the parking lot to tell them our 2 y/o was locked in the van. While he was away, I remembered that my 2 y/o DOES know how to unlock the door lock, however he was buckled in. So I worked for several minutes to coax him to unbuckle his top buckle (it's a 5-pt harness) and try to reach out and unlock the door. Meanwhile, the security CM had already paged whoever he needed to tell them we had a 2 yo/ locked in. While I was trying to get my son to unlock, dh was chatting w/the CM.

My prop to Disney is: BECAUSE we had a child locked in the vehicle, Disney has their *own* people to come and unlock our vehicle, FREE of charge. Otherwise, they would call a locksmith. Yes, AAA will unlock for free with a kid inside, but we were both just very touched that Disney would do this for free, due to the 2 y/o being inside, w/o needing to call a locksmith.

So, again, for Disney.

*ETA* I forgot to tell how the story ended! LOL Eventually, we coaxed the 2 y/o to keep trying and he unlocked the door himself, so the CM cancelled the call to "their people".
    Last edited by HomeofLove4Him; 03-12-2007 at 10:40 PM.

Walts_Girl is offline D-Ticket Holder
    OMG i would have panicked. But thats great. You have a very smart kid, to know how to unlock a car. That or very mischievious!
    "We Have Created Characters And Animated Them In The Dimension Of Depth, Revealing Through Them To Our Perturbed World That The Things We Have In Common Far Outnumber And Outweigh Those That Divide Us."

-Walt Disney

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I don't know what I would have done. On one hand I may have panicked, on the other as long as I was standing there and knew the AC was on and that help was on the way I might have been okay. Three cheers for Disney CM's!
    They call me "Nana"

HomeofLove4Him is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Mischevious he is!! LOL It dawned on me that he knew how to do this, because he is forever doing it when I don't want him to (like when we are parked but I'm not ready to get him out, kwim?) So it was a matter of trying to coax him into it. At first he thought it was a game, then a couple of times he got upset and would cry. The CM told us to try to keep him calm, DONT do anything to upset him, like pretend to leave to get him to try to open the door, and to just try to remain calm. I was ok because the AC was on and help was coming. It was still kinda scary, esp the couple times he started to cry.