Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Secrets of WDW Discuss Captain Hook's real name in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; nothing to really contribute, but I just think "Hook" is an awesome movie....
    The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    nothing to really contribute, but I just think "Hook" is an awesome movie.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Hook is not J. M. Barrie's version, which is the original. Hook is a Spielberg film that attempted to answer the question "What if Peter Pan grew up?"

So again, what did J. M. Barrie say was the real name of Captain Hook? Did he? According to what shelly found on wikipedia, he never revealed it.

Wasn't sayin that the movie Hook was law I just remembered them calling him James and I also just got the new rereleased Peter Pan on DVD and did see the JAS. Also the movie Neverland with Johnny Depp some said his name is James

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    Also, if you read the book Capt. Hook - The Adeventures of a notorious youth by J.V. Hart, they refer to the young Hook as James Matthew. Then is nicknamed King Jas at school.
    Not the original author, but could be a decent source for ya.
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIPRINCESS View Post
    Wasn't sayin that the movie Hook was law I just remembered them calling him James and I also just got the new rereleased Peter Pan on DVD and did see the JAS. Also the movie Neverland with Johnny Depp some said his name is James
    I understand that Jerrame. You just happen to be the one I quoted in my response, so please don't feel like I was singling you out or anything...because I really wasn't! And, I'm really not trying to be a pain...really I'm not...at least this time!

My point was the original OP was looking for a verification of Captain Hook's real name. And, the only source on that is really J. M. Barrie himself...and J. M. Barrie's original play. Remember...this story started out as a play and later adapted to a book and eventually several films, one of which is the 1953 Disney one, and a musical.

I'm not saying James (Jas) is correct or not correct. So as far as Disney is concerned, I see you all are saying per the DVD that just came out...it's James correct? And according to the film Hook, it is James as well? So, according to J. M. Barrie it is:

Quote Originally Posted by Attitude Tink View Post
    The book gives both "James" and "Jas". The copy I have was published by Barnes & Nobles.

This doesn't come about until Hook meets his death with the crocodile "Thus perished James Hook". However there's a sentence at the end of the chapter "...making a precarious living by saying he (Smee) was the only man that Jas. Hook had feared."
    So, then this answers what J. M. Barrie has stated as Hook's name...correct?

The reason this discussion intrigues me is because of the Beast. It reminds of a thread we had on the Beast's real name. To save anyone the trouble, the bottom line was neither the original French fairytale nor the creators of the 1991 Disney ever gave the Beast a proper name.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player
    I wasn't citing "Hook" as the best, or for that matter, worst source for the answer, I was just saying my thought was James and that was where I had heard it.

I don't think the OP asked that the answer be "according to the author", as a matter of fact since we are a Disney forum I figured she meant according to the Disney film. That is why I prefaced my answer with the source since I sort of thought she wasn't looking for his name in that movie.

I figured that if we had enough sources that referenced the same name, possibly, without a definitive source, we could make an educated guess.

No big deal, really.

It has, however made me think that an authorized biography of JMBarrie might be an interesting read.

Interesting "book club" conversation. Refreshments anyone?
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBabe View Post
    It has, however made me think that an authorized biography of JMBarrie might be an interesting read.

Interesting "book club" conversation. Refreshments anyone?
    MBabe...I was just thinking that too when I wrote my last reply.

You know what the funny thing about all this is? I hated this type of discussion in my English classes in school....hated discussing books...hated writing the required essays...oy....
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

wedlegacy is offline B-Ticket Holder
    You guys are great! I appreciate all the responses! I used to hate all this kinda stuff, too, in school but now I am a bit of a research bug. Especially about Disney, although I don't get all the time I would like to have to sit around and do nothing but read up on diz stuff. My friends get a little frustrated with me when I tell them that knowledge is power, which I do quite frequently (haha)!
    Tiffany

CJHook is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wish I saw this post earlier... Yes, it is, Captain James Hook.

CJHook

Vegitabeta is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by ERich2010 View Post
    i thought it was supposed to be kinda like their father, who wanted Wendy to grow up, only exaggerated
    In the live action Peter Pan movie, their father and Hook are played by the same person!
    "The Immortal Captain Jack Sparrow." It has such a lovely ring to it...-Captain Jack Sparrow
    Disneyland Resort Paris trip report and photos: Here

MousePad and Magical Mountain Member

wedlegacy is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Ahhhhh.....quite interesting Vegi.....
    Tiffany

HiddenMick is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by GaRain View Post
    Also, if you read the book Capt. Hook - The Adeventures of a notorious youth by J.V. Hart, they refer to the young Hook as James Matthew. Then is nicknamed King Jas at school.
    Not the original author, but could be a decent source for ya.
    I agree, and also if you have read the book they he signs his name "Jas" because that was the way King Charles II did. so that's an explanation for signing Jas Hook in the the movie Hook which is AWESOME!!!

Jas. Hook is offline A-Ticket holder
    Okay. I know this is a little late, but I hope all of you read it. Capt. Hook was originally James Matthew O.S. (Oppidan Scholar) When he left the school of Eton, he got on a ship, and killed someone with a hook. He became the captain of the ship and is referred to as Capt. Jas. Hook. If you would like to know more, please visit my website and post on the forum. freewebs.com/kingjas

mark_robertson is offline A-Ticket holder

Jas Hook

The Name Your Looking For Is Captian James Hook

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12