Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Secrets of WDW Discuss who wants to be a millionaire thing in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; yh how does it work? ive read so many different descriptions of it. is it like everyone answers questions on a keypad, or 1 person goes to the main stages...
    blinged_k is offline A-Ticket holder

who wants to be a millionaire thing

yh how does it work? ive read so many different descriptions of it. is it like everyone answers questions on a keypad, or 1 person goes to the main stages

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by blinged_k View Post
    yh how does it work? ive read so many different descriptions of it. is it like everyone answers questions on a keypad, or 1 person goes to the main stages
    Well, this is probably moot, because the Millionaire attraction at MGM has been closed for months now -- it's the site of the under construction Toy Story Midway Mania attraction.

But in case you're interested in how it used to work, here's a brief description based on my observations the two times I participated.

The answer to your question is, "both". Everyone gets to answer on a keypad, and there is one person in the "hot seat". The person in the "hot seat" is playing for prizes, and everyone else is playing for the opportunity to be the next one in the "hot seat".

The stage is set up to look like the TV show. There is a contestant in the center of the stage with the host. There is also a keypad in front of every seat in the theater. The rules are basically the same as the TV show, except the contestants are playing for prizes rather than cash. For example getting one question right might win you a baseball cap. Two questions might be worth a pin. The last time I played the top prize, instead of $1,000,000 was a Disney cruise.

The keypads in the audience are used just like on TV to provide the contestant's "ask the audience" lifeline. If the contestant is stumped, he can ask to see how the audience answers the question to see if a pattern emerges. The difference from the TV show is that the audience gets to answer every question, not just the one question that the contestant needs help on. When the question is displayed, you're supposed to key in your answer as quickly as possible. Each person in the audience gets points based on how quickly they get the correct answer. After each question, they show a leaderboard indicating how many points the top 10 or so members of the audience (identified by seat number) have accumulated. The results of this cumulative competition determines who plays next after the current contestant is done.

For example, I found myself in first place once, but the contestant answered correctly, so I didn't get to play. If the contestant had answered wrong, or decided to take what he'd won and leave the game, I would have been the next contestant. I got the next question wrong and fell out of first place, so if the contestant had left the game at that point someone else would have played next. If memory serves, the first contestant is chosen by the same sort of "fastest finger" competition as was used in the TV show.

The last time I was there, which was the last week or two before it closed, every person who made it into the "hot seat" had been there several times before. I suspect that this may have had something to do with the decision to close the attraction. Apparently the same relatively few people played and won over and over again, which I imagine caused the people who visited the attraction once during their WDW trip for the decade to feel a bit left out.

Tony