Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Your best WDW Secret!! in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Originally Posted by shadesofgreen For you nasty smokers there is also a smoking area fairly close. Seriously... I could think of a 100 other reasons to refer to someone as ...
    dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    Quote Originally Posted by shadesofgreen
    For you nasty smokers there is also a smoking area fairly close.
    Seriously... I could think of a 100 other reasons to refer to someone as nasty!!!!

shadesofgreen is offline I can write whatever I want up here now? Cool!
    Sorry. . . . before I came to work in the Disney area, after I got out of the Marine Corps, I spent a few years working in the Emergency rooms of a couple of hospitals and saw first hand the effects of smoking many times. My Grandmother also died of lung cancer. It is just a knee-jerk reflex to think "nasty" and smoking in the same thought.
    I know smoking is an incredibly hard addiction to break free from and I thank God I never got hooked into it.
    I guess what I mean to say is that smoking is nasty, not smokers.
    Last edited by shadesofgreen; 09-08-2005 at 02:06 PM.
    What I say 100 times each day:
    "It's not a Disney Resort even though it's on Disney property!"

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Keeping with the 'great places to watch the fireworks from' idea, I have to say that my favorite place is from the rose garden, just off the bridge joining the Main Street Circle and Tomorrowland. For some reason, a million bazillion people walk right by it and never think to stop and check it out. It's almost never crowded (until the secret gets out anyway, haha), and has a great view of the castle and fireworks.

I've tried many places for watching the fireworks, and the rose garden is by far my favorite, although i did have a fantastic time watching them from fantasyland. the fireworks are set off from all around you, and you are literally surrounded by the show. it's really neat to be right under the show, but it is kinda difficult to stand looking straight up for a few minutes straight. I've actually also tried getting right in front of the castle, right in the forecourt. it was neat because i had lots of space and could actually lay down on the sidewalk, but the downside was that the castle itself actually blocks most of your view of the fireworks. not the best spot.

Someone else mentioned the main street station already, but i want to add my own two cents. that's a good place as well, but the downside there being that main street south of casey's corner doesn't dim the lights. lights tend to mess up my pictures, and i take a ton of pictures, so i try to stay closer to the castle where there are no lights.

And jumping topcs now, (and getting off of the idea of Disney secrets for a bit) back to the whole biometrics scan at the turnstiles... I'd heard that the reason they put that system in place was to prevent folks from buying one pass and just handing it back over the gate to other family members or friends to use over and over until everyone was in. With this system, each pass is paired to one persons finger measurements. If you didn't match the pass, you didn't get in with it. Yet on my last few visits, I observed a number of people entering ahead of me who the biometric scan did not accept with the pass they had put in, and after a couple tries, the CM at the turnstile just waved them in anyway.

Two visits ago, I actually observed a teenage boy come up to the gate to hand a woman in line (i assume to be his mother) a pass. I assumed at first she was just holding onto the passes for the family, but instead of putting it away, she held onto it in her hand. I could read the name on the pass, and it was distinctly a male name, certainly not her pass. She proceeded to the turnstile ahead of me, inserted the pass, and the biometrics did not match. she tried three more times, each time not matching, before the CM hit the magic button and said "just come on through".

Now, of course I am doing a lot of assuming here. It could have been that the boy had the whole family's passes, and just handed the wrong one to his mother. But I have to say it looked very suspicious from my point of view. The point I'm trying to make is that this biometrics system (or any other system, retina scan or other) is only good as long as there is someone there to enforce it. If nobody is going to watch out for people handing passes back over the gate, and CMs are going to keep admitting people with passes that don't match the holder, any electronic system put in place to stop this will be useless. I think they could just do away with the whole thing, and just better staff the gate area to watch for this kind of behavior.

Oh yeah... you guys can go back to discussing secrets now. I'm all done.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

AidansDad is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I've got another one my friend emailed me...can't confirm, but figured it sounded neat enough to post...

This one is actually outside WDW.

Traveling up from Tampa, on i-4, on the left side a bout a mile before the World Drive interchange that takes you into WDW, you can see a high tension pole with a frame in the shape of a Mickey head outline.
    It's been too long!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AidansDad
    I've got another one my friend emailed me...can't confirm, but figured it sounded neat enough to post...

This one is actually outside WDW.

Traveling up from Tampa, on i-4, on the left side a bout a mile before the World Drive interchange that takes you into WDW, you can see a high tension pole with a frame in the shape of a Mickey head outline.
    Let me confirm that one. . . . Every time I go to Macdill AFB in Tampa I drive by it. It is kind of a cool secret.

Twingle is offline A-Ticket holder
    Is it true about finding the paintbrushes at Tom Sawyer's Island? I really don't want to waste time looking for them if it's only folklore!
    Mom to 2 (two) sets of twins and a singleton!

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Let me confirm that one. . . . Every time I go to Macdill AFB in Tampa I drive by it. It is kind of a cool secret.
    I'll second that confirmation (or is it third in this case?). I go to school in Daytona Beach, so I'm almost never on the West side of WDW, however, a few weeks ago I was bringing my brother to Orlando Internaitonal Airport to catch a flight home to CT, and on my way back to Daytona, I made a wrong turn comng out of the airport and following signs for I-4, unknowingly got onto 417 South instead of North. I didn't realize my mistake for a little while, because signs continued to advertise I-4 up ahead. I was eventually dumped back out on I-4, but in the Westbound land, just West of WDW (boy was I a little bit off from where I thought I'd be!). One of the first things I saw that let me know I wasn't where I was supposed to be, was a huge Mickey shaped pole with power lines strung about. Now, being the Disney nut I am, I know I would have noticed that before had I ever driven past it. So, I got off the next exit (in Kissimmee), turned around, and then proceeded to drive all the way back through Disney and on to Daytona Beach.

As a humorous side note, I got back to my apartment in Daytona the same time my brother was landing in Hartford. How pathetic! Isn't it incredible though how efficient jet travel is? I love flying!
    -Don-

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    I third confirm that. It is the biggest hidden mickey!!!!
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

Quote Originally Posted by buccool
    I third confirm that. It is the biggest hidden mickey!!!!
    I think the one inside the WDW Speedway (Richard Petty Driving Experience) is probably bigger. . . .

So is the Millpond pool at Shades of Green.

But it is pretty big.

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    Yeah I guess.
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Yep the paintbrushes are there, the best time is first thing in the morning.

I think the one inside the WDW Speedway (Richard Petty Driving Experience) is probably bigger. . . .

So is the Millpond pool at Shades of Green.

But it is pretty big.
    How do those compare to the size of the one built into the bricks at at MGM? I thought that was the biggest HM ever (even though it's really hard to see anymore since the silly hat went up there).
    -Don-

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    MGM is still the largest (thought it now has a blue nose) and is more hidden with each courtyard update. The speedway is 2nd I believe.

Does the one in MGM still count? They've changed it around quite a bit.

akur is offline 82 miles to WDW!

I think I have a picture

Quote Originally Posted by AidansDad

I've seen in many times, driving from my mom's to WDW. I'll see if I can find a picture.
    Ana The Librarian

MomtoMandJ in the box

Page 19 of 85 FirstFirst ... 917181920212969 ... LastLast