Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Your best WDW Secret!! in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; I always enjoy wathcing that sign and listening to the donkey....
    TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    I always enjoy wathcing that sign and listening to the donkey.

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleGurl
    What is the story? I've never heard it.I've never even seen the ring! tell me about it!! I love this kind of stuff!
    The origins of this "story" vary, and the source is unknown... However, it is said that when his fiance met her demise, that the master of the manor was so distraught that he threw her engagement ring out of a window. The ring supposedly hit the ground with such force that the embedded itself into the stone to serve as a reminder of their love.

...In actuality the "ring" is a remnant of an old queue pole that broke at ground level, and the "diamond" is the tip of a broken screwdriver that was being used to pry the pole out. The maintenance crew had to leave the pole and screwdriver tip in the ground until they could get some better tools to extract the pieces. Some time passed, and Disney decided to leave the "ring" in the ground after hearing of its romantic history from the guests.

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

BigDaddyKyle is offline Moderator
    Even though I love the HM story, I hate that all of the story lines around it are just made up by the fan. When Disney was designing the HM the only storyline was that the HM was a retirement home for ghosts. I wonder if Disney really had a story like this in mind when they built the HM, they just didn't want to tell anybody so people could make up their own assumptions about what the story was to be about?????
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Actutally, there were/are stories (as with all Disney attractions) surrounding the HM, although they vary betwene the parks. For example, the DL went through many story changes, including ones that dealt with a sailor and his lost love, etc. These, of course, all setmming from the original concept of a walk-through Museum of the Weird.

I'll actually write an article about the stories behind the Haunted Mansion and put it in the Ask Lou... section of the site.
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

That would be great Lou!!! I love the Haunted Mansion but I have never deeply looked into the design of it!!!! Thanx
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

sloppyskunk is offline A-Ticket holder

Thumbs up ToT secret

My favorite secret is in the Tower of Terror. Right before you go in to the library to watch the video, there is a sign on the left that has the names of different suites in the hotel and such. Certain letters have fallen off, however. If you go over to the sign and look down in the bottom of the box, the letters that have fallen spell out "EVIL TOWER U R DOOMED" It is quite an interesting detail, its amazing how much thought the imagineers put into all the rides. check it out!

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    Good catech there, sloppy! Oh and by the way...welcome to the boards!!! We're very excited to have you with us! And I beat Jas in welcoming someone!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

FrumiousBoojum is offline A-Ticket holder
    These, of course, all setmming from the original concept of a walk-through Museum of the Weird.
    Actually, Museum of the Weird was more of an exit-exhibit for the final version of the Mansion. You'll see some art of it in the Disneyland 10th Anniversary Special and Jason Surrell's excellent book on the Haunted Mansion.

It is true, though, that it started off as a guided walking tour. Many concepts from these are still present in the final version, thus why we have such things as the huge nautical presence in the original and WDW mansions.

There's also some remnants of the Museum of the Weird in both US mansions: in the exit crypt, there are torches being held up by arms. Also, WDW's merchandise cart can be found in a concept sketch for the museum's "artifacts."

-Tim

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    I don't know if this is a good secret or not, but I thought it was neat.

In the Winnie the Pooh ride, there is a picture of Mr. Toad giving the deed to Owl.

*sigh* I miss Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.... that was a totally stinkin' awesome ride.

olmec26 is offline Created by Mark Burnett
    At least it's not completely extinct...Mr. Toad still lives on in DL!

Oh, and welcome to the boards! We're excited to have you with us!
    -Taylor

Por favor mantanganse alijado de las puertas.

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    Welcome rosworms! I like your avatar! By the way,may I ask what your name means,it's quite different!
    Izzy

rosworms is offline The Harry Potter fandom's little Disney Freak
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleGurl
    Welcome rosworms! I like your avatar! By the way,may I ask what your name means,it's quite different!
    oh, my nickname? sure.
    When I got the internet in middle school, my first chat nickname was Ms. Roswell (because I'm a sci-fi geek). It was a strange little rpg type room and my little schtick was dumping worms on people's heads. When I got around to getting an e-mail address, i just combined my old chat name with my little schtick... Ms. Roswell + worms = rosworms!
    I know... I'm a strange girl.

BTW on my avatar, thanks! I really like your signature.

Welcome to the DWT.com Family. I hope to see you on here a lot!!! (This site is really addicting!!!!!)
    See YOU at Disney World,

BDK

<!--StartFragment -->

Myron is offline B-Ticket Holder

Talking Drinking Fountains

I don't know if they still have these, but in 1998, we found an area in Epcot where the drinking fountains "talk". None of the guidebooks confirm this and my inquiries were never answered. We also found a street with tiny lights that emilt LED lights in various patterns when you step on them, not far from Spaceship Earth. What are those called? These LED's can't be seen in daylight but only after dark. Is there a name for these?

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyKyle
    Even though I love the HM story, I hate that all of the story lines around it are just made up by the fan. When Disney was designing the HM the only storyline was that the HM was a retirement home for ghosts. I wonder if Disney really had a story like this in mind when they built the HM, they just didn't want to tell anybody so people could make up their own assumptions about what the story was to be about?????

If you want to know the backstory of the HM in detail, you should read "The Haunted Mansion" by Disney Imagineer Jason Surrell. It gives the history of the mansion all the way back to the 1950's. It covers the mansions in all four parks as well as the movie.

After seeing and hearing Jason at the first 999 Happy Haunts Ball in 2002, I knew the book would be good. I have been to all three of the events, and learn more about the mansion at each event.

Look for a hidden Mickey at the end of the Haunted Mansion ride through. As you're about to leave the cemetary, right before the opera singer look to your right into a crypt. Inside there is Grim Reaper holding a scepter. The top of the scepter is the Hidden Mickey. This is the only "official" hidden Mickey in the mansion.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Page 5 of 85 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast