Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Your best WDW Secret!! in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Post your BEST WDW secret here! It can be a tip, trick, hidden treasure, best place to watch a parade, little known fact... whatever!! I'll start things going.... Main Street, ...
    Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur

Talking Your best WDW Secret!!

Post your BEST WDW secret here!

It can be a tip, trick, hidden treasure, best place to watch a parade, little known fact... whatever!!

I'll start things going....

Main Street, USA is filled with little fun things... for example, pick up the antique phone in the General Store on the right hand side of the street. When you do, you can hear a "party line" conversation going on!!

(What's a party line, you ask? Well, way back when, every phone didn't have its own phone number, so many houses had to share one line. So if you picked up the phone, you could hear other conversations going on, and would just have to wait your turn before using the phone to call an operator)
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    There are many other phones like it in many of the shops along Main Street. I have picked up all of the ones I have seen, but only that one seems to be attached to the party line. I have handed the phone to random people before and said "Your (family member) is onthe phone". It was worth the looks I got.

ripkensnana is offline A-Ticket holder
    I like the very center of the WDW property, located in Epcot. It's just to the west of Innoventions West, on the way to The Land. It's not marked as such, but I found out about it on another website. It's a series of concentric circles in the pavement, with quotes from various famous scientists. Kinda cool to be able to point it out to people.
    :mickey: Carol (Ripkensnana)) :mickey:

I know exactly where you are taking about. Didn't know that was the center.

judycats is offline D-Ticket Holder
    im sure this is not a secret especially to you all who know so much about Disney but if you ask they will let you ride in the front of the monorial. also is it true that disney has its own police department but everyone is undercoverin regular clothes and made to look like a tourist? (not sure if thats a secret but someone told me that once)

Quote Originally Posted by judycats
    also is it true that disney has its own police department but everyone is undercoverin regular clothes and made to look like a tourist? (not sure if thats a secret but someone told me that once)
    No this is one of those myths. They do have security and that is obvious. They work with the local law agency for support. Disney does invite them on property for various reasons at any time as well. And yes you can really get a speeding ticket on property. There have been too many accidents on property and Disney is trying to reduce that number. There have been several death this year alone in some of the accidents.

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    But most of the problem drivers aren't the Guests....

Quote Originally Posted by Sam I Am
    But most of the problem drivers aren't the Guests....

Sadly this is true.

Fortunately, the threat of "termination" for speeding/reckless driving on property has helped in the past; maybe they need to step up a new campaign.

Lost/Confused/Tired Guests + Late/Tired CMs + bizarre signage - any clear maps of property = a sticky situation

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Not really a secret, but just a little tip to share:

If you're going to Disney's Animal Kingdom and are faced with a long line, here's a little "secret" entrance:

Go through the Rainforest Cafe - there's an entrance to the park at the rear of the gift shop that never has a line!
    Lou Mongello

JoeCollege is offline A-Ticket holder
    Coolest Thing Ever (Even though it might not sound like it.):

Wait for Space Mountain to Break Down.

No. Really. You read correctly.

Here's why: When Space Mountain breaks down, it takes a good 45 minutes to an hour to start it back up again. Disney is extremely cautious when a ride breaks down, and will spend whatever time necessary to figure out the problem. On a high-profile ride like Space Mountain, they'll do whatever it takes to ensure ride safety...

Of course, there are only a couple of ways to know that it's broken down (One being that you're in line, the other being that you're attempting to queue.) Either way, I recommend leaving the line and talking (calmly) to the CM at the entrance to see if you can get a Fastpass for later (If you have one, hold on to it! They'll be good for the rest of the day.)

Now... go to the Tomorrowland Transit Authority/WEDWay/People Mover.

Why? Because the TTA goes through Space Mountain. And chances are, the lights in Space Mountain will be... you guessed it...on.

You can see EVERYTHING! The entire ride looks like steel spaghetti. You can also sometimes hear them alert the CMs operating on the ride. You'll get about 45-60 seconds of looking at Space Mountain with the lights on.

Just don't take any pictures. Your camera/pictures will be, most likely, subject to confiscation.

And you thought that you'd have to spend your time next door playing Galaga waiting for them to fix Space Mountain.

-Joe

Another great way to see it with the lights on is ride the TTA (WEDWay PeoplMover as far as I'm concerned) at the end of the night. The CMs will usually let you ride over and over, and you can often see SM with the lights on. I actually have a few pictures somewhere,.. Gotta try and find and post them
    Lou Mongello

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCollege
    Just don't take any pictures. Your camera/pictures will be, most likely, subject to confiscation.
    I am about to post more details about this in my trip report in that forum but here is a litte info. I finally saw SM with the lights on! Last week during e-ride nights. They give you a 'rider switch' pass to use anytime you wish. They did not care if we took pictures either. TTA was not running at the time though.

They don't usually confiscate photos taken when you're onstage... There are many bits of video and pictures taken from the WEDWay People Mover of Space Mt. with the lights on.

Remind me to tell you about the time I rode Space Mt. with the lights on for nearly an hour! Now THAT was scary.

(Wondering if a Space Mountain lights-on photo will end up being entered in the Photo Contest...)
    Lou Mongello

Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast