Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Whats so great about Soarin' ? in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; I've never been on it because imafraid of heights.I want to try it i just don't think i could make it through the whole film....
    bucknut20 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I've never been on it because imafraid of heights.I want to try it i just don't think i could make it through the whole film.

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Hoenstly, you should try it... even people afraid of heights love this ride, like my wife... she gets sick to her stomach if she's on the 2nd floor of the mall and she looks over the banister, but she was fine on this...

When you go, ask the CM to sit you on the lowest 'car', that way you're only a few feet off the ground, but you can still get the full experience...

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    I enjoyed it, but it's too short... another 20 or more seconds of zooming over the ocean would have been perfect...
    Yea, I agree. It would be even better if it were longer!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

broncos271 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    height shouldnt be an issue
    Its a Small World after all.

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetjaguar View Post
    Hoenstly, you should try it... even people afraid of heights love this ride, like my wife... she gets sick to her stomach if she's on the 2nd floor of the mall and she looks over the banister, but she was fine on this...

When you go, ask the CM to sit you on the lowest 'car', that way you're only a few feet off the ground, but you can still get the full experience...
    Umm... I'm actually not so sure that's great advice. It sounds fine, in theory, to those of us who don't mind heights, but I have ridden Soarin' with a couple different people who are not so keen on heights. The first guy I rode with was scared stupid the entire ride, even to the point of crying and swearing at the ride, and having to go into the men's room to pull himself back together afterwards. I felt real bad for having told him he would be fine beforehand. The second was a less intense case, but still involved a rather uncomfortable guest who was so preoccupied with how high up we were going to be, how much the seats were going to rock, etc., that she didn't really soak up the atmosphere and really even get to enjoy the ride. She wasn't like deathly freaked out... but you could tell she wasn't exactly comfortable either.

While the ride is perfectly safe, and there is no reason why someone with a fear of heights couldn't ride, I think you should accept the fact that you will be lifted off the ground, your feet will be dangling, you will be subjected to the sensations of flying (even though you obviously are not), and it may just be too much for someone with a strong fear of heights to handle. In a case like this, I think it best to handle it the same way you should handle the decision of whether or not to bring a young child on a "big kid" ride... let them decide if they're ready to go.

I recommend it, if you can... but don't do it just because every one else says you should. Do it if you feel up to it. Otherwise there's no sense in ruining it for both yourself and the people around you who are concerned or distracted by your reactions.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Tinkgirl is offline Thanks for the Memories :3
    Quote Originally Posted by JackSparrow7 View Post
    I would never consider it a thrill ride, but it is one of my favorite attractions. The ride gives you this amazing sensation of flying which is just amazing, the wind in your face and the smells add to the whole experience so well. Also, the music in the attraction is spectacular, I listen to it all the time. I can't really put my finger on why I think it is amazing, but there is just something about it that it just pure Disney magic.
    Yes,I agree I think it beautiful and now beside test tack, soarin' is now my faveorite ride in EPCOT.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jetjaguar
    I enjoyed it, but it's too short... another 20 or more seconds of zooming over the ocean would have been perfect...

YES!
    TinkGirl
    2007-2009
    I may come back full swing one day, foolish mortals, maybe one day.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    A great attraction, mixed media experiences, theming is first class and consider how it made the Land Pavilion (which frankly was kind of forgotten) into a major attraction itself.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder
    Soarin' is a good ride, but I don't like how it jumps from one scene to another. It should go threw clouds or something, making the ride longer and more realistic. I like the idea they could change the ride any moment they wanted too. But Soarin' is high to most people, I think the bottom row is 20 feet off the loading deck. The top is 40. So maybe not for people who don't enjoy heights.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by pranker51502 View Post
    Soarin' is a good ride, but I don't like how it jumps from one scene to another. It should go threw clouds or something, making the ride longer and more realistic. I like the idea they could change the ride any moment they wanted too. But Soarin' is high to most people, I think the bottom row is 20 feet off the loading deck. The top is 40. So maybe not for people who don't enjoy heights.
    Another good point. A better dissolve/transition from scene to scene would enhance the ride.
    Plus, I'd like to " soar " over other places in the future, and we all know the " skys the limit " on that!!! OK,OK... Bad bad bad!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

broncos271 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    JUST DONT LOOK DOWN! that simple.

what is so frickin great about the ride. its just a suspended move. wwwwwwwooooo!
    Its a Small World after all.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Broncos271, I think you have made it abundantly clear that you do not find the ride thrilling. Others have tried to share their enthusiasm with you, but obviously they are not about to change your opinion. Continuing this discussion with that tone is pointless.

As for the heights, it's not just the physical distance from the floor, it's the combination of the 5-story tall curved movie screen and video shot from planes and helicopters that make it seem like you are much higher up. I can see that being terrifying for someone who is very afraid of heights.

Like every attraction, it's not for everyone. The great thing about Walt Disney World is there is such a variety of attractions, no one has to feel they missed out because they don't like a certain type of ride.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

wedlegacy is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Well said Disneydame. You put my earlier point (from the first page) in short. As far as Bronco...with age, comes wisdom. However, ignorance is usually here to stay. Please stop bursting people's bubbles. If you don't like it, don't ride it. Or better yet, go to college, get a degree and become an imagineer so that you can change the World. Then you will have the "right" to gripe til the cows come home.
    Tiffany

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Gosh, we loved Soarin' and it is such a pure showcase of the great immersion style of Disney. I lived in Cali and have been everywhere in that movie except the river. My daughter was thrilled to see some of the things I have seen, even second hand, and she just really absorbed the experience. She is 7, and realized from the minute our chairs made the upward roll that it would be what she calls a "movie that you feel". While a lot of folks would love to see a Florida film, the whole concept was so new that Disney went with the Cali footage for all of the Soarin' locations. It gives them room for upgrades and changes and omprovements based on feedback. I loved it and we want to go on the first row next time-it is the highest off of the floor at about forty feet (according to the CM who was loading us). I was enchanted by it, loved the whole experiene and, quite frankly, I feel very sorry for Bronce because he seems very young to be so jaded and negative about what a ride that celebrates to very heart of Disney-complete sensory involvement in absolute harmony with beautiful music. Disney's style of immersion at it's finest. Strictly my observation, of course.

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I am sorry you don't like Soarin' Bronco, I have got to say that our whole family absolutely loved it, the combination of the video, the height and the smells is just amazing. I can't say one bad thing about it, I can't even diss the queues cause it's totally worth it!!

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I'm a great fan of Soarin'. As a total package, it's incredible. I think it engages more of your senses than most attractions do, and it gives you a vantage point that most people will probably never have.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast