Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Spaceship Earth Preview 12/08/07 in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; At approximately 11:30am on the morning of 12/08/07 the wife and I were entering Epcot after we had park hopped from Animal Kingdom. We were hanging our heads low because ...
    the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

Cool Spaceship Earth Preview 12/08/07

At approximately 11:30am on the morning of 12/08/07 the wife and I were entering Epcot after we had park hopped from Animal Kingdom.
    We were hanging our heads low because it had been a long week and we knew Spaceship Earth was closed, which is possibly my favorite ride in Epcot.

When what to our wandering eyes should appear, but Epcot had opened the gates to Spaceship Earth and were letting people get in line for it! We were heading for lunch reservations at Garden Grill, but we couldn't pass up an opportunity like that! We hopped in line, excited as a couple rats in a cheese factory!

They let in what I guessed to be about 50 people and then shut the gates behind us. We were going to get a preview of Spaceship Earth!!!

When we got on the ride, the first thing we noticed was that the ride vehicles were the same.... except they had a small screen in front of you, in the middle.

The next thing that was immediately different was that the narrator was a woman. I recognized her voice, but couldn't think of her name (any help in that department is appreciated).

Next, they asked us to pose for a picture and they took a picture just before we started the initial ascent. We were never told why the picture was taken, or offered a copy of it for free or otherwise, so we thought this part was kinda odd. Maybe when it reopens you'll be able to purchase a picture of yourself on the ride.

The next thing we noticed that was different was that the animatronics moved a lot more, and a lot more fluidly. You'll see what I mean.

The next big thing was when the screen flickered on. We were told that Epcot was going to "build a future tailored specifically to us" or something like that. They asked us a bunch of questions like, "In the future, do you want to travel to outer space or under sea?" (very reminiscent of Horizons, eh?) The wife and I took turns answering the questions.

After you answer the questions a cartoon came up with animation kinda similar to the style used in Kim Possible or some ads for one of those travel websites. I honestly didn't like that part, because I don't like that style of animation.
    Anyway, the cartoon shows an animated person (presumably you) doing all the things you just answered questions about. This is going on while you do the "backwards descent" right at the end of the ride.

That stuff was ok, and I like the nod to Horizons, but I really liked all the scenes of people communicating with each other as you went backwards down the hill to the unloading area.

Overall, imo the "improvements" (so far!) are ok. I like that the animatronics look better, but I miss the old narrator and storyline. I like the idea of an interactive ride like Horizons, but I think it could have easily been executed better.

After we got off a ride, we were both expecting some kind of survey or something, but no. Instead, they just showed us the way out. What's the point of previewing something if you don't care about the opinion of the people you are previewing it to? I want my opinion heard!!!! ahem.

so that was it. any questions?

If we can dream it, we can do it

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    So lucky that you got to take a sneak peek! I read somewhere else that the new narrator was Judi Dench. I am wondering if those questions are there to stay or just to get some sort of feeback to see what they will do with the end? I am really hoping there will be more to it than that. Oh, and welcome back dood!

I think the old narrator was Jeremy Irons, but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Tinker Bell; 12-10-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Afterthought.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    thanks for the info and the welcome back.

have you posted a trip report? I'll do one when I get a chance.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015; 2 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    WDWMagic has a video of SSE: Spaceship Earth - Project Tomorrow
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Thanks for that link Jiminy, It looks interesting. I'll be there in January to check it out up close and personal.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    I watched a video of SSE on Youtube. Looks good. I really liked the ascending part. Scene updates are good and what they did with the AA updates were astoudning. On to what I didn't like....the audio on the Youtube video was very hard to hear (I'm sure this was just the video though), and I really, really did not like the descent part. Too much touch screen computer, not enough ride.

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I rode it the other night and LOVED the first half, but I HATE the second half. I think disney did an excellent job in the first, but they could have done better on the second half.
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

Mr. Imagineer is offline A-Ticket holder
    Wow, very nice job on Disney's part! That animation of yourself is really advanced technology, and those pictures are great Jiminy.

Man, I haven't been here and posted since March 2007! It's good to be back!
    There are three types of people in the world: People who can count and people who can't!

biblioadonis is offline B-Ticket Holder
    My brother, Andrew, wrote a review of our experience riding Spaceship Earth. It is more about our trials and tribulations of getting to ride SE. And there are no spoilers!

Imaginerding: Home of the Disney Geeks!: Daily Figment 123 - The Few, The Proud, The Thankful

(And Jeff Pepper did our logo!)
    George
    http://www.imaginerding.com

Jeff did our logo...do you like it?

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    Isn't the narrator Julie Andrews?

GalPal is offline Fastpass Holder
    No, the new narrator is Dame Judi Dench

crussell54 is offline A-Ticket holder
    This is by far the most positive review of the changes that I've read so far. Fingers are crossed. I'll miss Jeremy Irons' narration, though.

redheadbrown is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiminy Cricket View Post
    WDWMagic has a video of SSE: Spaceship Earth - Project Tomorrow
    Great video thanks for the post.
    -Zac

Wonderland16 is offline A-Ticket holder
    they opened it on new years eve when i was there....I WAS SOOOO EXCITED!!! the line was ridiculous, even on the handicapped entrance.....it was worth it....the end part is HILARIOUS!!!! and you'll laugh and talk about it all day long! i wish u could purchase the video or have it sent to you via email.
    In a world of my own.......

DisneyLove28 is offline Just your average Disney Princess!
    I'm really excited to go on SE now when I go to WDW in March! It sounds like the improvements were done well so I can't wait to see it all for myself!
    ~*~...it's a small world after all...~*~

- [ The Dirty Dozen ] -
    November 2005

C'mon everybody! Let's all clap our hands and dance in a circle!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast