Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Secrets of WDW Discuss Skyway in Walt Disney World in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Originally Posted by Sorria you could see the cast member parking lot while riding it. That's probably another reason they took it down....
    disneyimagineer is offline You may notice that I'm not all here myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post
    you could see the cast member parking lot while riding it.
    That's probably another reason they took it down.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."-Walt Disney
    TTFN, Ta Ta For Now!
    Can you stand on your head?

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorria View Post
    I used to ride that all the time. There's a nice video on YouTube of it for those that didn't get the chance to ride it.

I've heard a few rumors about why it closed, one being safety, another being poor guest capacity, not suitable for guests in wheelchairs, ect., as well as that the ride gave away many of the parks "secrets" and behind the scenes areas. When you were riding it you could tell that many of buildings were just facades, you could see the submarine track of 2,000 Leagues and you could see the cast member parking lot while riding it.
    I'm sure that was one of the bigger reasons as well....I love how WDW is like that....doesn't ruin in magic!

I went to Six Flags a few weeks after a WDW trip. Oh my! It can't even being to compare!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

cskiff7895 is offline Fastpass Holder
    as i said before it was a great ride, but just like everyone stated it was tough with a wheelchair. plus only the fantasyland station was wheelchair friendly, we would always just get a round trip, which was still cool. we never rode it to get to tomorrowland, just to see the backstage areas.

MickeyMagic08 is offline A-Ticket holder

Skyway

Quote Originally Posted by SlpngBeauty View Post
    I remember there being VERY LONG lines for the Skyway. They have one up here in Elysburg, PA at Knoebels Park(more like a ski lift.) My daughter has gone on it with my husband, but I'm not that brave!
    I am from PA too! I love the ski lift at Knoebels and I wish there was still the sky way in disney. Oh well.
    Disney World makes me happy I must say!

Mickey Mouse is my favorite!!!

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    What is the skyway(I have only been to WDW once so far)?

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    I believe the ride has been gone for around 10 years approximately. It started right next to the Small World (exit side)an old looking Chalet that is still there, sitting empty and finished in tomorrow land on a ledge that is also still there. It is a small version of a "bucket" ski lift. You were up about 3 stories high and the bucket that held 4 or so people traveled on a wire stretched from Fantasy Land to Tomorrow Land. There is various stories as to why the buckets were removed and the ride closed. One person, at least did die. Urban Legends Reference Pages It was a dangerous ride to be a CM on and guests could and did have problems getting on and off the ride. You can see it on here YouTube - Skyway to Tomorrowland - Magic Kingdom - Walt Disney World It was a great family ride if you are not afraid of heights, hope this helps.

SoupBone is offline Fastpass Holder
    Don't hate me for this but I will tell my personal story of the skyway. I was on a school band trip and we were unsupervised for most of the trip. We had just finished eating and I thought it would be a good idea to take ketchup mustard and mayo packs with me on the ride. I then opened them a little and threw them out the cart. I never aimed at people but I'm sure I managed to dive bomb a few folks. When I matured in my years I felt really horrible about it and never understood why I thought it was so funny at the time. I seriously get ticked at myself everytime I pass the loading area and this happend 15 years ago.

cskiff7895 is offline Fastpass Holder
    cool video, brings back memories

pink_minnie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    We had just finished eating and I thought it would be a good idea to take ketchup mustard and mayo packs with me on the ride. I then opened them a little and threw them out the cart. I never aimed at people but I'm sure I managed to dive bomb a few folks.
    Oh SoupBone, I got a nice little morning chuckle out of your story! I remember being younger and hearing kids say things about what they wanted to drop from the Skyway. A lot of it times, people would dispose of small pieces of trash during the course of the ride as well.
    "When you believe a thing, believe it all the way, implicitly and unquestionably."
    - Walt Disney

MERRY CHRISTMAS

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    It was definitely closed after a fatality, the details are on wikipedia and I remember it happening. I was never a fan, I felt the views spoiled the magic in a way because you could see the big functional type warehouses that house the rides etc behind the lovely facades.

WIN705 is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation

The ral reson this closed....A janitor was cleaning in "The Pit"(the little lowered space that the cars glide in so the enterence of the car is ground level)at the tomorrowland station and some how it started up and and he hel on to a car only to fall to his death in front of space mountain.Which is really not worth closing a ride!

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Quote Originally Posted by SoupBone View Post
    I thought it would be a good idea to take ketchup mustard and mayo packs with me on the ride. I then opened them a little and threw them out the cart.

So I'm not the only deviant...me and my brother used to spit out of the cars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12