Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Look! The President is here!!! in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Reuseing the molds from Hall of Presidents for Epcot rides that's something I didn't know? I learn something new everyday. Thankyou Lou and Tim...
    jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Reuseing the molds from Hall of Presidents for Epcot rides that's something I didn't know? I learn something new everyday. Thankyou Lou and Tim

TrendyMagic is offline On Mars
    Just found out this one today,

What President never visited WDW? What Epcot attraction can he now be found at (animontronic form)?

-=-=-=-

-=-=-=-=

-=-=-=-=-=-=

-=-=-=-=
    -=-

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

L.B.J. never visited WDW. He can be found driving the semi at Test Track in the tunnel.

jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    Just found out this one today,

What President never visited WDW? What Epcot attraction can he now be found at (animontronic form)?

L.B.J. never visited WDW. He can be found driving the semi at Test Track in the tunnel.
    Hope he likes Epcot because
    it looks like he is not leaving for a long while. lol

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Quote Originally Posted by TrendyMagic
    He can be found driving the semi at Test Track in the tunnel.
    That's the guy that almost hit me! Why I oughta....

"What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I think this all comes back to - waste not want not. LOL Leave to Disney to find new ways to recycle.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

DisneyGal04 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 4Mickey
    That's the guy that almost hit me! Why I oughta....

lol
    thats funny!
    he almost hit me 2!

Jessica Lynn

GoofysMommy is offline C-Ticket Holder
    That is so awesome. I am going to look closer next time I get on SE. My boyfriend did the ride for the first time on Valentines Day. Good 'ol annual pass. What would we do without them?!
    Chellie the Pirate Princess

Goofy Paul Anka Lunt

My Billy loves to eat !

http://www.myspace.com/goofysmommy

Jamie77 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Looks like nobody ever answered the question on why this was done, so guess I'll do it.

When it came time to start making the Animatronics for the EPCOT Center attractions, money started to become a huge issue. EPCOT Center *was* a HUGE project, after all.

So one of the solutions to cut costs was to reuse existing face molds whenever possible. This isn't an unusual practice -- take a look at the Haunted Mansion and you'll find some of the Pirates as well as many of the faces repeating often. Or even a complete figure -- pay attention just before you enter the crypt with the Hitchhikers and you'll see Gus (the prisoner) tucked away to the right with his hitchiking hand turned the other way.

Back to EPCOT: Since EPCOT was a park based hugely in reality rather than fantasy, realistic faces were needed. So where better to get realism than the Hall of Presidents?

However, this need to reuse was used as a political statement by Ward Kimball, who worked on the World of Motion. Ward Kimball was always quite the rebel among the studios and always rebelled in ways that should've gotten him fired -- everything from the infamous Tinker Bell and Jiminy Crickett animation to a random Donald Duck. Ward's political views were quite the opposite of Walt's. He quite disagreed with Walt's republican leanings and the two were always at odds because of that. When they were given permission to reuse Hall of Presidents molds, he took the opportunity to throw in a joke about Nixon, but well desguised so that he wouldn't get in too much trouble. Thus, why Nixon is inventing the triangular wheel.

Does that answer your question?

-Tim
    I'm going to have to remember to look for that when I'm there in May.

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    The girls and I were talking about this-wish I saw this photo before we went on our trip-we were looking for this statue but were not sure which one!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

King_Mickey is offline A-Ticket holder
    did you know the pirate auctioneer on POTC is abe lincoln?

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    Looks like nobody ever answered the question on why this was done, so guess I'll do it.

When it came time to start making the Animatronics for the EPCOT Center attractions, money started to become a huge issue. EPCOT Center *was* a HUGE project, after all.

So one of the solutions to cut costs was to reuse existing face molds whenever possible. This isn't an unusual practice -- take a look at the Haunted Mansion and you'll find some of the Pirates as well as many of the faces repeating often. Or even a complete figure -- pay attention just before you enter the crypt with the Hitchhikers and you'll see Gus (the prisoner) tucked away to the right with his hitchiking hand turned the other way.

Back to EPCOT: Since EPCOT was a park based hugely in reality rather than fantasy, realistic faces were needed. So where better to get realism than the Hall of Presidents?

However, this need to reuse was used as a political statement by Ward Kimball, who worked on the World of Motion. Ward Kimball was always quite the rebel among the studios and always rebelled in ways that should've gotten him fired -- everything from the infamous Tinker Bell and Jiminy Crickett animation to a random Donald Duck. Ward's political views were quite the opposite of Walt's. He quite disagreed with Walt's republican leanings and the two were always at odds because of that. When they were given permission to reuse Hall of Presidents molds, he took the opportunity to throw in a joke about Nixon, but well desguised so that he wouldn't get in too much trouble. Thus, why Nixon is inventing the triangular wheel.

Does that answer your question?

-Tim
    WOW! Facinating. "Infamous Tinker Bell and Jiminy Crickett animation" huh?

4Mickey is offline "But why is the Rum gone?"
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Mickey
    No way! Is it really? I love him! Wow, who knew?
    "What ARRRRGH you doing?"

"What are you doing?"
    "No, What ARRRRGH you doing?"
    Cap'n Jack lives again!
    "I'll try anything once or twice, that's the kind of mouse I am"

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I didn't know that, either!!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

Lissa is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I thought that Walt was a democrat? Didn't I read somewhere that was the reason he never rode Dumbo - he didn't want to have his picture taken riding in the symbol of the GOP? Am trying to remember where I saw this.... anyone?
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow waiting at the end of every day!"

Follow me on Twitter @LissaRFAK

Raising Food Allergic Kids? Visit http://www.rfak.org

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Mickey
    WOW! You think you know a president and BAM! Honest Abe's SELLING THE LADIES!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast