Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: What did you Think abou this Secret?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Disney World Castle! in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 It isn't a lame secret, just not a secret to those of us with a unique obsession with WDW Did you know that the castle is ...
    epcot_dreamer is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    It isn't a lame secret, just not a secret to those of us with a unique obsession with WDW

Did you know that the castle is 189 feet tall because Walt didn't want to put a red light on the top to warn passing planes? By Florida law, if a structure is 190 feet tall or greater, they must have a blinking red light on the highest point. Walt didn't want to ruin the magic, so he made it 1 foot shorter.

Just a little tidbit
    Walt was deceased before cinderella castle was designed and bult his brother and the rest of the Imagineers designed the Magic Kingdom

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by epcot_dreamer View Post
    Walt was deceased before cinderella castle was designed and bult his brother and the rest of the Imagineers designed the Magic Kingdom
    Actually... Walt was very much a part of the design and planning for "The Florida Project" before his death in December '66. It wasn't but a few months later that construction began... something that can't happen until all planning and blueprints are drawn out and all government approvals are obtained (something that would've sparked the whole light discussion to begin with). So, I think it's probably correct to say he had some influence on the height of the castle for that reason.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)
    That's right! He bought up the majority of the land for WDW under surrnames in order to get the land for cheaper...had Disney gone into the area as "The Walt Disney Company", the land would have been triple the amount. In fact, once the public found out that it was Disney buying up all the land, the price per acre spiked to hundred of dollars per acre instead of about $20 an acre.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    It's not lame, just not general knowledge. If everyone has noticed the Introduce yourself page, there are a lot more newbies coming on board and some may not know what the rest of us do, so any information is good information. This was one I knew, but had moved to the back of file storage in my brain housing, so good reminder.
    Last edited by Keasmom; 01-28-2008 at 05:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Exactly - that was why, although I knew it, I hated picking the "Lame" choice to say so.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World
    I have known this for quite a while, but then again I read so much on Disney World and I have seen a lot of specials on TV.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

ta2edgoofy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    That's right! He bought up the majority of the land for WDW under surrnames in order to get the land for cheaper...had Disney gone into the area as "The Walt Disney Company", the land would have been triple the amount. In fact, once the public found out that it was Disney buying up all the land, the price per acre spiked to hundred of dollars per acre instead of about $20 an acre.
    it actually jumped to 1000 dollars and acre. and to address the castle height issue, it has always been 200 feet. and walt was only around for the buying of the property, they did not start construction on wdw till many years after, because at first they didnt think it would be appropriate to build it after he passed

Quote Originally Posted by ta2edgoofy View Post
    iand to address the castle height issue, it has always been 200 feet. and walt was only around for the buying of the property, they did not start construction on wdw till many years after, because at first they didnt think it would be appropriate to build it after he passed
    Actually, Walt passed in December 1966 and construction began in April 1969. The reason for the roughly 2 year delay wasn't totally due to considering not building it. Everyone in WDI knew that they had to move forward with completing Walt's dream. Sure there was a little delay as everyone mourned and thought about it but the 2 years was really just a normal time frame for planning. Finishing the plans, getting the permits, lining up the contractors, getting materials, surveying the land etc.... all that takes a very long time for an endeavor as big as WDW's Magic Kingdom.

PolynesianMedic is offline Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to a Paramedic
    although I knew this one as well, I still think that it is really cool that they were able to make the castle look like it was built with many bricks, when it really wasn't. Especially since they did it when they did.
    My Blog
    My Photo's

"Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

°O°Joe is offline C-Ticket Holder
    already knew it...

Optimus Stitch is offline Count down to Florida Vacation begins!!!!
    That is a good secret.
    My dream is to play all day long at WDW!!!!

Mellisapi is offline A-Ticket holder
    What a cool secret!!!!

We need more fruit cakes in this world and less bakers~The great Jimmy

chipmunkgal is offline A-Ticket holder
    Am I the only one who didn't know?

Good secret!
    ------------------------------------------
    Jeannie

Hot Dog, Hot dog, Hot Diggity Dog

DisneyGal04 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by chipmunkgal View Post
    Am I the only one who didn't know?

Good secret!
    nope! I didn't know about this also

it's a pretty cool secret!

Jessica Lynn

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Did you guys know that the tallest turret on the castle can be "unscrewed" in case of a major hurricane? And also that the parades are controlled from one of the smaller turrets? A bit of info I read about years ago. Always thought it was pretty cool.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast