Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Animal Kingdom in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; First off I'd like to shout out a big ol' Happy Birthday to the Animal Kingdom! Turning the big 1-1! And in lieu of that, I think it'd be good ...
    WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Animal Kingdom

First off I'd like to shout out a big ol' Happy Birthday to the Animal Kingdom! Turning the big 1-1! And in lieu of that, I think it'd be good discussion time on the Animal Kingdom.

I'll start... I honestly think that Animal Kingdom is one of the biggest things that are overlooked. Just like the small things at any other park, I think in general AK is overlooked. Animal Kingdom is easily my 2nd favorite park. Right up there with Epcot being my first. But its close...

I think that people just go there for Kilimanjaro Safaris, EE, and Finding Nemo the Musical. Has anyone done the Sunrise Safari? I would have loved to do that the last time I was there. Definitely something for the future there. Rafiki's Planet Watch is also something hugely overlooked.

Any other thoughts?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

Re: Animal Kingdom

There is definitely a lot more to Animal Kingdom than most people give it credit for. It is my favorite park, mainly because of the detailed theming, all the vegatation, and most of all the animals. While the other parks look clean and polished, this park seems to have a rustic, jungle look that of course is clean and polished as well, but looks wild and overgrown with the excellent theming. I could spent the whole day and then some exploring Animal Kingdom.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

wannabimagineer is offline B-Ticket Holder

I'll be honest, I've kind of overlooked it myself. I've only been to AK once and I thought it was nice, but not my favorite. There were some attractions that I missed though, so I'm looking forward to heading back there and giving it another try.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I don't think much of AK. If it weren't for Expedition Everest, I wouldn't have even visited the last time we went. I'm not a big fan of the whole phony go-green trend and for me and my family there isn't much there for us. It's only worth a morning and then we're off to another park by lunch. For me, the Kilimanjaro safari is a let down. They're right; it's not a zoo. At a zoo you actually can watch the animals. The Dinosaur ride is good, and my kids like the dino-themed playground as well. I couldn't imagine spending the whole day there unless they were giving out free beer like they do at Busch Gardens.

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

Disney recreated again what a theme park is. Total immersion in an expereince. The charm is the overgrown vegetation, the big reveal of the Tree of Life after coming out of the tunnel, like MK. The whole village of Harambe gives you the feel of an actual East African village. Anandapur and Serka Zhong in Asia, incredible attention to detail. In '98, I was worried about what to expect from AK. I wondered if it would live up to it's 3 predecessors, and it has and then some. I could spend a whole week just in that park.

Joel&Bee is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thumbs up Re: Animal Kingdom

I agree. Animal Kingdom is an immersive experience filled with rich detail. You really can not experience that whole park in 1 day.

Nemo the Musical and The Lion King - The two best shows in WDW

Kilimanjaro Safari and the 2 trails - Like seeing a whole zoo in 2 hours

Expedition Everest - The best themed coaster attraction in WDW. The cue is a work of art. Imagineering at it's best!

The Tree of Life, Flights of Wonder, Kali River Rapids, the live entertainment, Dinosaur, and Tough to be a Bug ... all great.

Joel playing bass with The Tropicals in Animal Kingdom:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuf8R7zVt1M

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Our best day at AK was a day it rained hard the entire day. The place was empty so not only were the lines short, but we took a lot of time on the trails observing the animals that were active in the rain and somewhat cooler temps.

jtrain75 is offline B-Ticket Holder

While AK has some of my favorite attractions (Everest, Dinosaur, Safari, Tough to be a Bug and Nemo Show) we only spend one day, two at the most there per visit. We'd just rather spend our time at Epcot or MK. Although we LOVE eating at the Rain Forest!
    visit my website!!

1997- Honeymoon at the Yacht Club
    1999- Disney Cruise & Caribbean Beach Resort (lost 2 days in the park due to Hurricane Floyd)
    2004- Yacht Club & daughter's first visit to WDW
    2005- All Star Movies
    2006- All Star Sports
    2007- All Star Sports
    2008- USF Royal Pacific Resort and All Star Music
    2009- Beach Club
    2010- USF Royal Pacific Resort and Beach
    2011- Wilderness Lodge
    Club

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I never thought much of Animal Kingdom when they first opened it, it was always my least favorite park. But I have to say that the last time I visited it we really took our time to roam around (I know it's hard to do this with small children, so try it solo or with a friend/spouse) I feel I really appreciate the park much more, I still think there is much more they could do with it, but I could see spending a whole day there now.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

I think that AK wasn't exactly ready to be opened when it did. I went a few months after it opened back in '98, and went back in '08. Two completely different parks. The difference was night and day. So much more has been added to the park, not only rides either. The whole immersive surroundings have been added.
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

neverland23 is offline C-Ticket Holder

When I first visted Animal Kingdom I was a little worried. With not much to do, but the Safaris, it was not much fun for a nine year old. Now the park has become a whole new experience!!! I LOVE IT!

This is a park that must be appreciated like a piece of art and admired for its extreme detail and themeing. For Animal Kingdom is truly another world! There is so much to explore; hidden trails, animals, special tours and animal experiences, unique vegatation and entertainment, and GREAT FOOD! I am born and bred in Texas, known for some awsome BBQ, but Flame Tree BBQ is the best BQQ I have ever had!! The corn muffins are fantastic.

This park is different from any other, because it has a non processed feel to it. I guess a better word is not fabricated, when I am there I feel as though I am adventurer and not just a tourists enjoying attractions.

I am staying on the club level of the Animal Kingdom Lodge this summer, which is also overlooked and fabulous, so I am going to do the Sunrise Safari. After I get back in late July I will weigh in on the experience. So far I have heard nothing but great things about it!

Finding Nemo is the best show at Disney and Everest is AMAZING.
    Kati
    91'offsite, 92'Caribbean Beach, 93'Caribbean Beach, 94'Beach Club, 96'Boardwalk, 97' Disneyland Hotel, 98'Beach Club , 00'Caribbean Beach, 02'Animal Kingdom Lodge, 04'Wilderness Lodge, 05'Grand Californian, 06'Beach Club, 07'Saratoga Springs, 08' Beach Club

D23 Charter Member

Drink up me hearties, yo ho!
    Next trip ~ July 19 - 26 2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge

We first went to AK in October 98. It was so packed, we couldn't move. After seeing Festival of the Lion King, we attempted to make our way to Africa, but got stuck on the bridge with our strollers. We decided to leave AK and went to DHS, then MGM. As luck would have it, we went to the premier of Fantasmic. So, the day was certainly not a waste and the fates were kind.

Headed back next week and looking forward to relaxing in this park and taking time on the trails.

Good! Have fun!
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I think the Animal Kingdom could be one huge DSI. Hey, Lou, get Joe Rohde and Jim Korkis together to do an 8 hour podcast on the AK ha ha
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast