Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Waht was the worst WDW closure or refurb?

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Worst WDW refurb/update or closure... in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz I realize presenting a glimpse of the future is much harder in this day and age, but EPCOT seemingly no longer tries . Even a ...
    MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Worst WDW refurb/update or closure...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I realize presenting a glimpse of the future is much harder in this day and age, but EPCOT seemingly no longer tries. Even a retro-future a la Tomorrow Land, or the old Contemporary, would be better than what they're feebly attempting these days.
    Give us our park back!
    Merchandising seems to be the only place where they are really trying.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Crown Jewel. Couldn't have said it better myself.

I realize presenting a glimpse of the future is much harder in this day and age, but EPCOT seemingly no longer tries. Even a retro-future a la Tomorrow Land, or the old Contemporary, would be better than what they're feebly attempting these days.

Give us our park back!
    Yeah.....attractions like Imagination and Seas, though, had no business being changed. They weren't really dated. The stuff like Horizons and World of Motion were, but could have been updated. I don't mind SSE - at least it's kinda like what EPCOT is supposed to be about. They tried to make EPCOT more kid-friendly, and did a crummy job at it. I don't know what posessed Mission: Space....they could have, IMO, done a more mass-appeal space themed attraction. Maybe it would have been more popular.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Yeah.....attractions like Imagination and Seas, though, had no business being changed. They weren't really dated. The stuff like Horizons and World of Motion were, but could have been updated. I don't mind SSE - at least it's kinda like what EPCOT is supposed to be about. They tried to make EPCOT more kid-friendly, and did a crummy job at it. I don't know what posessed Mission: Space....they could have, IMO, done a more mass-appeal space themed attraction. Maybe it would have been more popular.

I guess they thought they knew what the future would be in the 80's... but then again everyone thought they knew what the future would be like back then... now... no one wants to even try anymore...

i dont think they want to put forth that much effort... just to be wrong...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

catywamp is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    You're preachin' to the choir. Epcot is dumbed down and shabby now.

Dumbed down is the perfect way to put it.
    "The Mad cannot Explain, Just As The Sane Cannot Comprehend"

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

It's one of the few instances, possibly the only, where Disney isn't really even trying anymore. And sadly, it shows.

I mean, even something as relatively minor and simple as The Odyssey sitting empty is just shameful. OK, the location wasn't great to begin with, but c'mon!

The Spaceship Earth refurb, well the ascension is incredible, but why mail in the descent?

And I agree with clj2, refurbs of The Living Seas and Journey Into Imagination just weren't necessary. Period.

And man, do I really miss World Of Motion...

emBo139 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    I agree that they tried to make EPCOT more kid-friendly... particularly SSE with the touch screen interactive stuff. And I don't really mind THAT, in terms of SSE, but I desperately miss Jeremy Irons' narration... at least I have it on my iPod, is what I tell myself.
    "What we do in life echoes in eternity."
    "Not all who wander are lost."
    --Member of the Monmouth College Disney Club <3--
    Over 18 years, 7 of them have been touched by pure magic WDW 1995, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008, 2011

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I just hate it when they throw in characters just for the heck of it. Nemo and frineds if fun, but could they have at least kept the name? Living Seas was a much better name in my opinion.

I agree with you... But just keep in mind... If not for the character integration in Epcot... Who knows where that park would be today... The decision to add characters to that park was what initially drove up attendance...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Very true, Joe. While Epcot was originally an educational park, the average guest (read that how you will) goes to Disney and wants it to be non-stop Disney everywhere they go. If they don't walk ten feet without seeing a character somewhere, their little minds turn to mush. And while I didn't exactly need to see Nemo over at the (Living) Seas, I'm glad that Disney decided to grab the main characters, and stick them into one (indoor) location in Future World that can be passed up if one wishes. As for World Showcase, they tried their best to make the characters match the lands, so that doesn't bother me much, either. Some pavilions, like Mexico, have characters outside because there's enough of a draw to bring you into the building. Others, like Morocco, have you hunt down Aladdin. Because let's face it... there is ZERO reason to walk through Morocco. Even their main restaurant is right in front of the pavilion.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

miffy is offline A-Ticket holder

Oh no! I didn't know they'd changed the spiel on TTA. What were they thinking? I'm going to cry when I go on there in a few weeks.

I really miss Horizons. Epcot hasn't seemed the same since.

But what they did to SE is just sad. It used to be that when you got to the top and your car turned around and you saw the stars and universe unfold around you, it was an incredibly moving experience. Now, because of the change in narration (and music? I haven't been there for a while, but I think the music changed, too), it just doesn't have the same impact. And the ride after that is a complete and total bust. There's wall and ceiling space there--couldn't they have come up with something else to entertain you? Something beautiful and inspiring to look at? Something adorable? Something funny? Instead, you're stuck looking at the dumb stuff on the screen right in front of you (assuming it's working). I mean, you could be sitting in a phone booth and do that. No need for a ride or a geodesic dome or Disney.

Can you tell how disappointed I am by SE? That's where I cast my vote. I don't blame Dame Judi, and her voice is fine.

--miffy--

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!

If agree with you Miffy! I miss the old TTA schpiel too (Now Arriving, Final Destination, Rocket Tower Plaza Station), but I was even more disappointed by the SSE re-do. I loved the music in the old attraction very much, especially when you are going toward the exit, watching all the fiber optic lights. I know they're trying to make things more touch-able for kids, but WDW does not have cater to kids in all attractions, exhibits, etc... There are many adults (like me) who go without kids and love it. And more generally, in response to remarks others have posted about Disney characters - I like it when Imagineering creates something that has no Disney characters. I think it really lets them stretch their 'creative wings'. Besides, if everything in WDW was character-driven, where would the Tower, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest be? These are all highlights of my trip, and I can't imagine WDW without 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    And more generally, in response to remarks others have posted about Disney characters - I like it when Imagineering creates something that has no Disney characters. I think it really lets them stretch their 'creative wings'. Besides, if everything in WDW was character-driven, where would the Tower, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, Expedition Everest be? These are all highlights of my trip, and I can't imagine WDW without 'em.
    Maybe so. But don't forget... the original vision of the Epcot park was that it was to be character-free.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Maybe so. But don't forget... the original vision of the Epcot park was that it was to be character-free.
    Mike... This is true... I Personally never saw it that way so I really cannot comment on it... And I know those space suit costumes the characters originally wore we're pretty hideous... That character integration ended up being necessary... I actually like the fact that they at one point (though I don't see it as much anymore) would put more obscure characters in World Showcase... Seeing Aladdin in Morocco on a regular basis was interesting...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

I was alot of the space costumes growing up, mainly in Tomorrowland. I remember taking pictures with Goofy and Roger Rabbit, in particular. For me, characters in Epcot were part of the character bus, though they were characters dressed based on countries on the other side of the park in World Showcase, first driven over to the front of the lagoon, then making their way around to select stops along the way.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

It has to be closing down 20K. They managed to keep the other subsa running in Anaheim but couldn't keep a great attraction in orlando. Soemtimes it feels like WDW is getting very generic
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast