Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss anyone know if this is true? in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Well, I read this article and it sounds pretty much like my best friend's reports of when she worked for Disney. She was working concessions and wanted to play Snow ...
    miakoda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    One Hour from WDW! Nah Nah Nah Boo Boo! sorry.
    Well, I read this article and it sounds pretty much like my best friend's reports of when she worked for Disney. She was working concessions and wanted to play Snow White....she actually looks a lot like her ...any way, she was told you have to start out in "fur". She quickly decided to stay in concessions b/c she had friends who told her the horror stories....yes ppl do vomit in the heads and under NO circumstances are they allowed to remove them on "stage"....someone playing Chip or Dale even fainted on a parade float, and being somehow fastened to something on the float to keep them from falling, he/she just hung there, lifeless, until the parade was over, and only until the parade float was backstage did anyone remove the costume and check on this poor person. She has even said that face characters do look down on fur characters like they are a lower caste. I don't know why anyone would want this job, but I guess people should know what they are getting into if they want to do it....I also went to a seminar in college about the college program, they hardly pay anything. $6.50 sounds about right for a character.
    --Selena

P.S. I used to work for Wal-Mart in photo....during Christmas I worked the front registers for extra money and when you scan something that requires ID....for whatever reason....you have to put in a birthdate before you can continue....it was pretty embarassing when old people bought "R" movies and I had to ask for their birthdate....makes you feel like an idiot but short of making something up, which you can get fired for, you have to ask them or ask for ID and check.

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    I don't think WDW has a problem, I think the girl has one! My God, I have never heard of such a whinner, especially when talking about WDW. No wonder WDW fired her.
    Izzy

cjdiggs is offline C-Ticket Holder

face Characters

Maybe Face characters look down on the other characters because they are paid more and get better breaks and what not compared to the "fur" one. so maybe they fell higher up or something.

BelleGurl is offline LETS BRING IN 2006!!!!
    I play several face characters at WDW, and we do not look down on them.
    Izzy

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    By now, most of the world understands retail clerks asking for ID for a large, and strange variety of goods. We also understand that the clerks are the whipping posts of the modern worlds frustration with long lines, small paychecks, too much do, blah, blah. But as grown ups, we must just get the job done. Consider it the best acting training on earth if it is a job you really hate, then find another job.

Disney4life is offline A-Ticket holder
    The person who wrote this article seems like she was treated like a "princess" her whole life and thats how she expected working for Disney would turn out. The thing is in all jobs you have to or should have to work your way up to the top. Ok so she started off in "furs" I'm sure they gave the warnings and conditions of what that job consisted of and she probably didn't think it through, and whats the big horror of clogging your pores and getting a red blotchy face ....is she a model as a side job. She sounds like a bratty, prep that needs to shut her mouth and grow up. She was as was stated in a previous reply, "bitter" about being fired before she was ever treated like a princess.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Welcome to DWT Disney4life, nice first post!

I went to school with many spoiled princess types...don't miss them!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder
    When I was a CP at WDW (go Main Street U.S.A), I didn't notice any of the characters forming groups that looked down on anybody else working there. I was a custodial host and I realized I had my job and they had their jobs. Personally I think I had the better job, afterall I had free reign to go pretty much wherever I wanted to "clean up some stuff."

Passarino6 is offline Dreaming of Something Disney!
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleGurl
    I play several face characters at WDW, and we do not look down on them.
    Who do you play?
    -Kevin

If we can dream it, we can do it.

Esmeralda is offline A-Ticket holder

A Face Character's 2 Cents.....

The girl’s story is all correct. I got hired at WDW in 1995 at $6.75 an hour for Characters. I also was hired for a puppeteer for the Lion King Show. After doing the God awful Fur for about 6 months (and all the horror stories are true), I auditioned for Face Characters and got approved for 5 princesses. I was overjoyed not to be in fur anymore. So on the days I wasn’t puppetering (which we should have been paid more for but still only got stuck with 6.75) I was acting as a princess. How they clean the costumes, how everyone is in cliques, how little they pay us, is all correct. And no, Face Characters do not get paid more. I was living on my own trying to pay all my bills and going without power sometimes, just so I could say I am <<enter character name>>. But the pay needed to be more. I too got fired for calling in sick too much, but with the help of my manager, I fought to get rehired, and within about 2 months I was back working again. I still am working in WDW Entertainment till this day. I have never heard of anyone offering $12 an hour for a starting position in Characters. (not saying you are lying, just saying that I have never heard of that) And yes, backstage in the tunnels, "fur" and "Face" do not speak to each other. There are some exceptions, though. Now, my employment at Disney is only seasonal, because I did eventually use my degree and get a career, but I still get to go back and play the princess every once in while. And not much has changed (including the pay!) since 1995. Now I will say the conditions and pay are crappy but to me, it all pays off when you see the look on a child face when they look up at you and smile, or when an adult comes up and hugs you and says you have been their favorite character since childhood. That is priceless. That to me is worth it. And that is my two cents.

~ Esmeralda ~

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Im comfused with this story Maybe I am just missing something But if you were working for 6.75 an hr and not getting enough to pay your bills but you loved what you were doing because of the kids and adults going stary eye over you. Then why were you calling in so much that you would get fired over. And if conditions are so bad that you hated it why would fight to get back the job. I know for sure there are other places you can get that look from kids and adults. One being a great teacher. But it does seem so awful that one would slam and complain about the people that give a person the very thing they desire to get. Or why else would one work a carrer and as a FC.

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Personally, since I would never pass for a princess (Fairy Godmother, maybe) I would be a fur character all day long for FREE if Disney would let me!
    They call me "Nana"

Disneynut57 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I personally would take a job sweeping the streets if i could but since i have a visable tatoo even that idea heads for neverland

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut57
    Im comfused with this story Maybe I am just missing something But if you were working for 6.75 an hr and not getting enough to pay your bills but you loved what you were doing because of the kids and adults going stary eye over you. Then why were you calling in so much that you would get fired over. And if conditions are so bad that you hated it why would fight to get back the job. I know for sure there are other places you can get that look from kids and adults. One being a great teacher. But it does seem so awful that one would slam and complain about the people that give a person the very thing they desire to get. Or why else would one work a carrer and as a FC.

I was wondering some of the same stuff myself DISNEYNUT57---most ppl I know would lose their jobs in a heartbeat if they called in sick as much as these young ladies seem to and deservedly too. There is a major employer in my area that has a policy --2 times sick/you are gone. And they only pay minimum also. Also not having enuf to pay your bills is called...go get a better paying one or a second job or do without extras!....

I would suppose that a higher pay offer(which $12 was what I was told when I asked what it would be) would depend on your experience and references. So if you are in the college program (see diff thread for comments on that) or a young teen without work experience(like the girl in the aritcle was-she says her and her friend walked in off the street for the job) Or if you are seasonal or part-time you will ususally get paid less then those who are not. ---heck even the KFC here does that to employees and all they make is chicken.

As for face and fur not speaking to each other---whose fault is that?...If you dont make an effort to be friendly with your fellow employees they will not make an effort to be friendly with you ...simple as that.

Ok now that I am done ranting...lol So are you going to tell us all who you play ESMERALDA so we can all say hi to you in the park?
    Last edited by vixen101485; 07-14-2005 at 04:48 PM. Reason: spelling error
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Honestly, I run in to the same stuff all the time. EVERY SINGLE tax season I go through this whole scenario with girls who are applying for the job of receptionist. "I can only work Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I HAVE to be off by 5:00 SHARP and I can only work one Saturday a month, maybe. And I want $10 an hour." Then I say to them, "Go look somewhere else and GOOD LUCK!"
    They call me "Nana"

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast