Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Utilador in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; wow! this is all such interesting info...now if only i can convince my parents that we should take the tour on our next trip...and i think i would at first ...
    GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    wow! this is all such interesting info...now if only i can convince my parents that we should take the tour on our next trip...and i think i would at first be a bit unnerved by "headless" characters but it sounds too funny!
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder
    There's even a Subway at the Mouseketeria down in the tunnels. Can't forget that.

theEpiphany is offline A-Ticket holder
    Its funny that people think there's something exciting down there. I guess its sort of like the club33 of Walt Disney World. Anyplace where guests can't go right? It's really no different than any other area except that it's molded from dirt that used to exist as part of the 7 seas lagoon. "Technically its not underground either", though it gives that impression from the way the park was built. you can actually get to a back end Load/Unload area very easily, if memory serves it was near costuming though my memory is sort of hazy in that regard.

There's waste management ducts along the ceiling during portion of the Utilidors and various plumbing/gas and other pipes lining much of it. The DACS room is housed down here, I believe (again memory is hazy as its been a few years) toward the left side (if your facing it) of Cinderella's Castle. by the doorway near the smoking area.

It's very gray and sterile as you can see from the picture. Hope that helps some .

MagCynic is offline A-Ticket holder
    Don't forget all the asbestos either. Most of it isn't harmful anymore but you can still see some of it.

You actually park about a ways down the road in cast parking. The public can drive past it. CMs have to take a bus that drops them off directly behind Fantasyland. From here they simply walk into the tunnels. I think somebody posted a map of the tunnels earlier and you can see at the top where all CMs are dropped off. But like the poster before me said, it really isn't that great down there except for the character zoo. That's where you go to shatter all your childhood memories of WDW. It's also where I almost accidently ran over Cinderella the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by MagCynic
    Don't forget all the asbestos either. Most of it isn't harmful anymore but you can still see some of it.

You actually park about a ways down the road in cast parking. The public can drive past it. CMs have to take a bus that drops them off directly behind Fantasyland. From here they simply walk into the tunnels. I think somebody posted a map of the tunnels earlier and you can see at the top where all CMs are dropped off. But like the poster before me said, it really isn't that great down there except for the character zoo. That's where you go to shatter all your childhood memories of WDW. It's also where I almost accidently ran over Cinderella the other day.
    So you are a CM? Where in the World do you work? Forgive me if I've already asked you this or if I have previously read that you were a CM!

Koda is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I have been fortunate enough to roam the tunnels underneath EPCOT as wdwcp student. We had break rooms down there, and storage. I had a roommate who worked in MK and I told her I was really interested in walking with her to work one day to see the under working area of the MK. She told me that I would no way want to go down there, it would ruin the magic (I dont know about the official tour). I heard countless stories of things people who do not want to ruin the magic would not want to see.

I was thankful after her stories that I did not work in the MK. One day unfortunately, while walking through the tunnels at EPCOT I looked up and saw a goofy head on rack. Usually there were no characters in my area, but it was raining so I guess they brought them in. I quickly pulled my hoodie over my head and shielded my eyes and I made my way to the storage closet because I could tell there were more things up ahead I didnt want to see. There was a girl in chip and dale feet sitting on the ground laughing at me as I walked by. But hey, it helped me preserve the magic!
    Koda

If we can dream it, we can do it! ~ Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Koda
    I have been fortunate enough to roam the tunnels underneath EPCOT as wdwcp student. We had break rooms down there, and storage. I had a roommate who worked in MK and I told her I was really interested in walking with her to work one day to see the under working area of the MK. She told me that I would no way want to go down there, it would ruin the magic (I dont know about the official tour). I heard countless stories of things people who do not want to ruin the magic would not want to see.

I was thankful after her stories that I did not work in the MK. One day unfortunately, while walking through the tunnels at EPCOT I looked up and saw a goofy head on rack. Usually there were no characters in my area, but it was raining so I guess they brought them in. I quickly pulled my hoodie over my head and shielded my eyes and I made my way to the storage closet because I could tell there were more things up ahead I didnt want to see. There was a girl in chip and dale feet sitting on the ground laughing at me as I walked by. But hey, it helped me preserve the magic!
    I can relate to how you feel. That is exactly why I will NEVER do the Key's to the Kingdom tour! I do not anything to spoil the Disney Magic for me!

jadezuki is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Interesting. Growing up in Orlando, it seems that getting a high school job at Disney is about as ubiquitous as working at McDonald's in other areas. As a result, I've never really been worried about having the magic spoiled for me. I suppose it would be a bit disconcerting seeing a character without a head, but... I've known several people who WERE characters, and that, to me, is more disconcerting! But even knowing this, even knowing lots of behind-the-scenes stuff, it doesn't affect the magic Disney holds for me. I guess that's what makes Disney so special.

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    As a CM I saw some pretty wierd stuff backstage including eeyore and Winnie the Pooh playing basketball behind the UK pavillion at Epcot. They were in full costume so it was just strange and out of character, but not necessarily breaking the magic. I will spare you all from some of the more disconcerning images. I don't want to ruin anyones day.

rhpollard is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you want to see the ultilidors, go on the Backstage Magic tour. I have been on it, seen it all, and they never even asked about cameras. They simply asked that you not take pictures. Of course, it's just a square underground box, so nothing much to take pictures of. But it gives you a behind the scenes magic, which is what makes WDW what it is.

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    Wow just reading this thread makes me want 2 be a CM so bad!!!!!!!
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

clara is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I remember my *first* time ever in the utilidor on my own ...

I ended up lost somewhere under Tomorrowland and couldn't find my way back to Main Street for 20 minutes. This was me:

I think the coolest thing is the color-coded walls. Liberty Square: red, white & blue; Fantasyland: pink; Tomorrowland: green; etc.

Other than that, it's more creepy than special I think. And trust me, there are things I wish I didn't know. (Like that smell around way back in Frontierland ... uggg).

sterm26 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I've worked at Veterans Stadium, Citizen's Bank Park and Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia. When I took the Keys to the Kingdom tour last year, we went into the Utilidors, and they reminded me of the service levels at those stadiums. Lots of concrete, wires & ducts, employees (CM's) walking about in an "off duty" state.

Even though I've been behind the scenes, it does not ruin the magic...I love the MK more than ever.
    WDW offsite 1979, '83, '86, '87, '89,' 93

ASMo November 2003 (Love Bug)

Pop Century February 2005 (50's)

Pop Century February 2006 (60's)

Pop Century August 2006 (60's)

Coronado Springs February 2009

Disneyland August 1988 (L.A.)

Disneyland August 2005 (Anaheim Plaza)

"His name's Tron, fights for the Users..."

BryanFykes is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by clara
    I remember my *first* time ever in the utilidor on my own ...

I ended up lost somewhere under Tomorrowland and couldn't find my way back to Main Street for 20 minutes. This was me:

I think the coolest thing is the color-coded walls. Liberty Square: red, white & blue; Fantasyland: pink; Tomorrowland: green; etc.

Other than that, it's more creepy than special I think. And trust me, there are things I wish I didn't know. (Like that smell around way back in Frontierland ... uggg).
    I got lost under Mainstreet USA, but i had some Help from fellow cast members. part of the College program intiation at PVH when i worked down there was to intentionally send a CP'er on a wild goose chase lookig for a certain numbered supply room. I got so lost, i was gone for like an hour. finally i stopped a character performer (okay, she was a headless mickey) and asked her where the **** i was. she took me back, and everyone was relieved. they thought i was gone for good. i was nicknemd waldo for like a month after that. even after all these years, i still think i could navigate those hallways with my eyes closed. well, you could do that anyway if you had a functioning sense of smell... but i digress.
    Remember the most important Service guidline-

"Always preserve the Magic"

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    Lol Im kinda happy you found your way out LOL
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast