Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss HM secret in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Hi Some bits of the story that I know: Master Gracie built the mansion as a gift for his new bride, and on the night of the wedding was planning ...
    clara is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Hi

Some bits of the story that I know:

Master Gracie built the mansion as a gift for his new bride, and on the night of the wedding was planning a huge ball (the "swinging wake").

Madame Leota was in love with Gracie and determined to have him for her own so she placed a spell on the mansion.

She then locked his bride in the attack in a trunk. Then when you encounter the bride (with her red beating heart, still alive for Gracie) she is upset that you are living and she no longer is, so she pushes you out the window. (Note: this is why you "fall" in your doom buggy, backwards down a slope. If you notice when you look back towards that room you can see you've left the house) and are headed for the grave yard.

I don't remember how the ring actually got into the cement (in the story!) but seem to remember something about Master Gracie tearful of losing his bride planting in at the gates? Near the coffin wagon? Don't remember all that ...

That's all I have ... I think!

- Clara

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Years back, I was gettin' chummy with one of the HM castmembers. Her name was Athena (it was the roses I was carrying around for Jasmine. She ultimately scored one off me). Last I heard, she retired last year, and I hope she's doing well wherever she may be now.

Get on track, alright, focus kid--she shared with me an entire printed collection of pages detailing the back stories; both the 'official' ones and the ones castmembers themselves had come up with on just about every spook in the place, and one of the sordid tales was of the "ring" (I had never noticed nor heard about it before that day, and I needed her to point out the spot to me when she got a break). According to this printout, Gracie lobbed it from the attic, yadda yadda, and the hearse permanently made it part of the pavement when it rolled over the band.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    This weekend i went up to a cm to inquire about his version of the ring. well he went on to tell me how he really didnt like that people said it was a ring and that it was just a pole and that the story was really pointless. I was really surprised that he actually started tlaking like that. But then the next day over at Epcot my friends and i got to know 3 HM CMs and they liked the whole ring thing which made me feel oddly better about the story even though i found out more behind the scenes stuff than story stuff. They had some really interesting stories to tell.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney
    I have to ask the CM's next time about the ring!!!(Also, a LITTLE bit off topic, but, isn't there a "real" ghost on the HM ride?) I remember hearing about a little boy and another ghost named George. There might have been some threads on it, but I have NO CLUE where they are. Can anyone help?
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

The way I heard it (this absolutely reeks of urban legend), but there is indeed at least one spook in the Florida version of the mansion that the imagineers didn't count on. According to the castmembers I've spoken to, sometime in the early '80s, a little boy died somehow, and the family opted to have him cremated. Knowing how much her son loved the mansion, she respectfully requested to have the ashes sprinkled inside. The powers that be naturally were disinclined to acquise to her request (I guess they figured it'd have been a PR disaster if word got out about it, and it would have). Undaunted, the mother hopped on the ride, and stealthily spread the ashes herself.

There were a few castmembers several years back who claimed that on certain nights after the rush was over, it was possible to glimpse a sad, lonely looking boy riding in the space between the doom buggy loading and unloading areas. From what I've heard, the poor little guy always appeared to be pretty unhappy. I suppose that makes sense--I know I wouldn't have wanted to have ridden the Haunted Mansion alone at his age.

Again, I'm not sure how much veracity there is to this tale. It could have just been a story the castmembers of the 1997-1999 era liked to pass on to curious geeks like myself.

Not sure if this has any connection to the one about the young boy, but Athena (the castmember I became the friendliest with) confided that during her tenure, some of the guys were goofing around with a camera in the buggy unloading zone one night after hours, and when the photos were developed, there was something white and vaguely humaniod in among the crew. No one could offer a good explanation for it. I honestly wish that I could have seen the shot for myself.

Happy hunting!
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost
    I think I heard once (maybe on doombuggies.com) that a plane crashed near where the HM is now and that the pilot, who was killed, is one of the supposed real spooks in the place.

If we can dream it, we can do it

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Conceited Ape
    The way I heard it (this absolutely reeks of urban legend), but there is indeed at least one spook in the Florida version of the mansion that the imagineers didn't count on. According to the castmembers I've spoken to, sometime in the early '80s, a little boy died somehow, and the family opted to have him cremated. Knowing how much her son loved the mansion, she respectfully requested to have the ashes sprinkled inside. The powers that be naturally were disinclined to acquise to her request (I guess they figured it'd have been a PR disaster if word got out about it, and it would have). Undaunted, the mother hopped on the ride, and stealthily spread the ashes herself.

There were a few castmembers several years back who claimed that on certain nights after the rush was over, it was possible to glimpse a sad, lonely looking boy riding in the space between the doom buggy loading and unloading areas. From what I've heard, the poor little guy always appeared to be pretty unhappy. I suppose that makes sense--I know I wouldn't have wanted to have ridden the Haunted Mansion alone at his age.

Again, I'm not sure how much veracity there is to this tale. It could have just been a story the castmembers of the 1997-1999 era liked to pass on to curious geeks like myself.

Not sure if this has any connection to the one about the young boy, but Athena (the castmember I became the friendliest with) confided that during her tenure, some of the guys were goofing around with a camera in the buggy unloading zone one night after hours, and when the photos were developed, there was something white and vaguely humaniod in among the crew. No one could offer a good explanation for it. I honestly wish that I could have seen the shot for myself.

Happy hunting!
    I thought that happened in Disneyland's version. Hmm, I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227
    I thought that happened in Disneyland's version. Hmm, I could be wrong.
    That's entirely possible, too. Or, it could be bunk (caught myself searching for a 'shrugging' smiley off to the right, no dice). But as most any fan of Disneylore knows, good stories die hard.

epcot_fan_wayne is offline A-Ticket holder

Lightbulb

your all crazy
    Last edited by epcot_fan_wayne; 06-22-2006 at 10:22 PM.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    ok
    we were on our keys to the kingdom tour
    and our guide (jeff) told us that the story behind the ring is not true

because the amount of people coming off the ride they had to remove a gate (fence post- all the same) and after they removed there were things stuck in the ground and that person stuck a screwdriver in it to get it out
    but the suceeded in getting one out
    but the other("the ring") broke the screwdriver and gave it the diamond looking part of the "ring"

did that make sense???
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by kylewhit89
    ok
    we were on our keys to the kingdom tour
    and our guide (jeff) told us that the story behind the ring is not true

because the amount of people coming off the ride they had to remove a gate (fence post- all the same) and after they removed there were things stuck in the ground and that person stuck a screwdriver in it to get it out
    but the suceeded in getting one out
    but the other("the ring") broke the screwdriver and gave it the diamond looking part of the "ring"

did that make sense???
    makes sense. But it's fun to pretend.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227
    makes sense. But it's fun to pretend.
    yes at times
    it is funt to ur imagination ......
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

lovedisprinces is offline Annual Passholder
    Yea, thats the story the HM CM told me when I asked about the ring. The one that I got annoyed with.I still wanted to know the fun story but he went and told me the truth about the ring. I proboly should've said that whole story earlier but now ill just confirm it from a CM at the place.
    "L'amour brille sous les étoiles Illuminant leur cœur Sa lumière
    Eclaire à l'infini Un sublime espoir" -so i dont really speak french but would love to would u amour to?

3 times w/i the celebration
    I'm a millionaire who got to the hot seat

epcot_fan_wayne is offline A-Ticket holder

Smile

wdw is awesome
    Last edited by epcot_fan_wayne; 06-22-2006 at 10:21 PM.

Yeah, I'd agree that one is just a story, as well. Just a couple of things don't hold water. The concept of "crucifixion of a dog on an upside-down cross" in order to release a demon would probably make the couple of devil worshippers I've met laugh out loud (ironic, but most of this country's devil worshippers and Satanists (there is a difference, but I don't know all the details and wouldn't particularly care to get into them if I did) can be found down in the Bible-belt southeast. In some places, the mainstream society is so fundamentalist, it seems to actually push folks to the other team, so to speak). Basically, there's no need to get that extreme, and frankly, that stereotypical; if you're out to spring some blackness into this world (and as long as we're rollin' on this subject, that demonic grandfather clock at the end of the hallway of doors in the Mansion always seemed to really be pushin' the limits of a "family friendly" attraction to me; excluding maybe the Manson family, but I digress).

The other detail that had me sort of raise an eyebrow is the idea of CMs pulling a stunt like this in defiance of the ever-present Disney security. Maybe it wasn't this good a decade back, but take it from me: at Disneyland, smile--you're on camera pretty much everywhere you go (exception is inside a stall in the restrooms). Not too long ago, two CMs who worked in the French Market Grill got their pink slips when the cameras caught them getting intimate in one of the massive walk-in freezers (as if this wasn't bad enough for all involved, I understand that every bit of food in there was declared unfit to be served, and was tossed, all as a result of two kids who just couldn't wait until after their shift. What a waste. On the bright side, it's kinda comforting to know that Disney takes food sanitation as seriously as they do).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast