Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss Haunted Mansion Mats in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Has anyone ever tried stepping out of the buggy on the HM. I stuck my foot out once and touched the floor. The ride almost immediatelly came to a stop ...
    ozymagator is offline A-Ticket holder

Haunted Mansion Mats

Has anyone ever tried stepping out of the buggy on the HM. I stuck my foot out once and touched the floor. The ride almost immediatelly came to a stop and one of the CM's came right to our buggy. They asked us if we stepped off and I said no b/c I didn't want to get into trouble. THey said they knew it was someone from our car because they have mats or something on the floor that detect if people step off. Anyway, they said i would have to admit to stepping off or the ride could not start again until they were sure noone was hanging around inside. I admitted to it and did not get in any trouble.

SaraTheGreat is offline Ooo I can change this now!!!
    Most of the rides have some sort of sensor so they know if people make any moves out of the vehicles. Almost all of the rides immediately stop just to make sure you don't get hurt. You are lucky because I have heard stories of people being ejected from the park for e-stopping a ride. Some of the rides take a long time to get restarted with all the safety checks and such...

jadezuki is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Yeah, at least Haunted Mansion and Spaceship Earth have those sensors now. I was recently stuck on SE for a half-hour for that very reason. I heard a rumor that these were implemented because of a girl who died, years ago, from hopping from cart to cart on HM, but it may just be a rumor.

In a related story: When I was twelve years old, a male friend of mine had a 13th birthday party at Disney. We were left to run around the park with no supervision (le sigh). While riding the People Mover, my male friends goofed off and hopped from cart to cart, keeping an eye out for cameras (we girls felt this was immature). When we came back around, however, the boys were in separate carts, whereas they had started in the same one. We wanted to ride around again; the cast member allowed it, but gave us a warning. The next time around there were no antics, but we girls played with those little sticks that they used to sell (still sell?) with a fibre-optic spout coming out the top, that would change color very slowly, seemingly when you shook it. When we came back around, we were planning on riding a third time (waiting for Space Mountain to reopen or something) when the people a few carts back told the cast member we'd been throwing things! Evidently they'd seen the fibre-optic sticks being shaken and somehow misinterpreted it. We didn't get in trouble, but weren't allowed to ride around again. We were indignant at being falsely accused, but knew the boys had been misbehaving earlier, so we couldn't get TOO upset. Talk about karma!

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    I need to know, do I actually scare anybody when I knock on the back of their doom buggy?

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa
    I need to know, do I actually scare anybody when I knock on the back of their doom buggy?
    One time a few years back a CM climbed on the back of our Doom Buggy when we loaded in and peaked around the side and about gave my Mom a heart attack! So I imagine....that you probably scare some people. Does that make you feel better?!?!?

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Arrow

I can imagine it would be scary to some people, especially if they are not expecting it. Also, there are sensors on many ride to make sure that no one gets hurt by jumping out of the ride vehicles. As far as someone getting killed in the HM, I don't recall hearing about that.

-Scott
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

one time I went on.. afternoon time if I recall (which was rare of me to ride before dusk) and when I loaded in, next to the CM at the end of the conveyor was another female CM who had this somewhat funny but completely creepy laugh and she never stopped as she pointed at me!

it would have seemed like a cool prop idea, but when I noticed her, she literally watched and pointed at me as if no other person was around and for as long as she could.. probably the scariest ride through I ever experiences.

back on topic:

I saw someone I knew from grad night jump out into the grave yard scenes and he went crazy, running around and stuff.. it was the early 90's so I wonder if they were around then.. (the mats)?

buccool is offline See my avatar. You know you love him
    did he get back on the ride????
    Remember without Disneyland there would be no mr.toad FOREVER
    for belle and her fight

I would hope so, or he would turn up in the unloading with our a ghost to follow him home.
    Well I'll be hoho, It's the Blue Fairy

"See it in your mind and you can find in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams, Dreams are make believe, but could they all come true?"

I love Fantasmic!

The ONE and only= Mickeywanna on VMK!!

GaRain is offline I love a guy who can make me laugh!
    My dad knocked on the back of our doom buggy when I rode with my niece - he scared the pee outta her. Of course she was 7 at the time!
    Nothing to countdown to, so just smile and be happy everyday!

So she went to the bathroom in a Doom Buggie Ewwwwwww.
    Well I'll be hoho, It's the Blue Fairy

"See it in your mind and you can find in your imagination, mysteries and magic, visions fantastic, leading to strange and wondrous dreams, Dreams are make believe, but could they all come true?"

I love Fantasmic!

The ONE and only= Mickeywanna on VMK!!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder
    No. I don't want to anger the Ghost Host. :laughing:

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    There is a lot of machinery down there, so stopping it if people get out is a good thing. You can actually see the diagram of the ride path by the load area, with lights for different maps to indicate where the intrusion was..

Some idiot on the seacabs once kept dragging his foot out of his cab, each time the ride would stop. Finally, after a dozen or so times, the CM came over the PA.. He only did it twice more.

Quote Originally Posted by buccool
    did he get back on the ride????

Yes, he had ran around on the ride for so long that he had to get into someone elses Buggy. It was grad night so I think the occupants knew of him, considering he was a well known thuggy type that gals adored.

I waited at the exit in hopes to see him come out shackled or something, but there were none.

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(
    When I worked at EPCOT ( June 1990-Jan 1991) a roommate of a friend of mine worked at the HM and I remember her saying the ride was stopped one day because a girl got out of her Doom Buggy to scare a friend and she slipped and got her long hair caught in the track. She didn't die but was hurt badly.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast