Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Secrets of WDW Discuss MK flooding in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Today i was at the MK at about 4:00. My family and I were going to ride the train to BTMRR and then, after we got on, it started to ...
    daddy yankee is offline A-Ticket holder

Exclamation MK flooding

Today i was at the MK at about 4:00. My family and I were going to ride the train to BTMRR and then, after we got on, it started to POUR!!! Not just your average FL sunshower but like the 2004 hurricanes all over again (i live in FL, and at least it seemed that way). Anyway, the train was offloaded so we started to run through Main St.trying to get to Tomorrowland. When we finally reached Tomorrowland, I noticed that it was flooded! Near the old Timekeeper building, water was up to my ankles at least. Does anyone know why there was a flood? Does MK have no storm drains, or was there just too much water?
    Daddy Yankee
    # 1 Yankees Fan
    # 1 fan of Daddy Yankee

moulds is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Probably just to much water.
    Don't miss out on the fun....
    Join The WDW FANS CLUB!!!!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/fo...9948#post259948

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    This happened when I was at Downtown Disney a few years ago. The water level seemed to rise really fast, but when it stopped raining it all drained away fast too. I think that sometimes the rain is just too hard and too fast for the drains to cope!
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

It happens ALL the time! Their drainage system isn't the best. It happens a lot in Tomorrowland and Adventureland. I remember last summer when we walked out of the Tiki Room that it had rained while we were inside and the water was up was probably 8 inches up our legs. Eventually the drains catch up and it resides. A few weeks ago it happened in Tomorrowland. We were trying to get on the TTA, but they had to close it down because people getting off the TTA were not exiting from under the structure once they reached the bottom of the escalator walkway (because it was still pouring and they didn't want to get wet) so they had to shut it down. We were standing waiting to get on and for the first time I watched CM's walk around the drains and pull leaves and debris out of the way so the water could drain better.

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    We got caught in heavy rain and thunderstorms on our last visit. We were in Epcot and of all places, looking round the UK Pavillion when the heavens opened!! As mentioned above, the drainage system isn't good and the path ways were soon ankle deep in water. We had taken refuge in one of the shops and I was filming through the window - fimling the thunderstorm and people wading through the water!!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

GoofyOnDWT is offline A-Ticket holder
    With the fact that Disney was built in a very low-lying area, I'm sure their drainage system is doing the best it can. But, keeping the drainage openings clear of debris is key in making sure the system is working as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98
    It happens ALL the time! Their drainage system isn't the best. It happens a lot in Tomorrowland and Adventureland. I remember last summer when we walked out of the Tiki Room that it had rained while we were inside and the water was up was probably 8 inches up our legs. Eventually the drains catch up and it resides. A few weeks ago it happened in Tomorrowland. We were trying to get on the TTA, but they had to close it down because people getting off the TTA were not exiting from under the structure once they reached the bottom of the escalator walkway (because it was still pouring and they didn't want to get wet) so they had to shut it down. We were standing waiting to get on and for the first time I watched CM's walk around the drains and pull leaves and debris out of the way so the water could drain better.
    Exactly what happened at the TTA. At the Haunted Mansion, the CMs were scraping the sand/dirt from the ground into a big mushy pile.
    Daddy Yankee
    # 1 Yankees Fan
    # 1 fan of Daddy Yankee

hillo is offline Walt Disney World here I come!!!.... again
    It was raining really hard one time and we stepped in a big puddle in Liberty Square near the Hall of Presidents. I was really surprised that the drains weren't working and then I saw a drain and it was clogged with cigarette buds and leaves. That may not have been the only reason why it was clogged, but I really wish people would dispose of their cigarettes appropriately.
    - Hillary
    There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate’s loot on Treasure Island.- Walt Disney

I thought that you can't smoke except in "designated smoking areas"
    Daddy Yankee
    # 1 Yankees Fan
    # 1 fan of Daddy Yankee

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I've been in some pretty hard rainstorms at WDW, but I've never seen standing water the likes of what people have talked about. Guess I'd better keep this possiblility in mind when picking shoes to wear for the day.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

moulds is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Yeah they said not to smoke unless it is in designated areas. But people never obey the rules.
    Don't miss out on the fun....
    Join The WDW FANS CLUB!!!!
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/fo...9948#post259948

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V
    I've been in some pretty hard rainstorms at WDW, but I've never seen standing water the likes of what people have talked about. Guess I'd better keep this possiblility in mind when picking shoes to wear for the day.
    My $85 Jordans were soaked. I had to walk around in my socks.
    Daddy Yankee
    # 1 Yankees Fan
    # 1 fan of Daddy Yankee

Quote Originally Posted by moulds
    Yeah they said not to smoke unless it is in designated areas. But people never obey the rules.
    Like when even though there was torrential rain and tons of lightning, one lady just HAS to have her cigarette by the Noodle Station (a non smoking area). Smoke blew all over the only dry area.Then again, in that rain, I wouldn't follow the rules and walk to the TL area.
    Daddy Yankee
    # 1 Yankees Fan
    # 1 fan of Daddy Yankee

DisneyFREAK91 is offline We go on
    Oh my goodness!

How weird. I'd figure they would have a proper drainage system. But then again, they do have all the goings-on underground so I could see why not.
    Remember, Dreams Come True!

PinkTink918 is offline If I was goin' anywhere, I was run-ning!
    I was there today, and a similar thing happened, only I was at MGM. And the parking lots, with all of the dips in the pavement, was like puddle city!! The undercarraige of my car certainly got a wash!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast