Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Secrets of WDW Discuss Some fun Polynesian facts. in the Trivia and Games Forums forums; Polynesian Facts: The original longhouse rooms as documented by U.S. Steel when they were constructed are 415 sq ft and are listed as the exact same dimensions at the rooms ...
    Tikiman is offline B-Ticket Holder

Some fun Polynesian facts.

Polynesian Facts:

The original longhouse rooms as documented by U.S. Steel when they were constructed are 415 sq ft and are listed as the exact same dimensions at the rooms constructed for the Contemporary Tower . The rooms at the Polynesian that were part of the newer construction are 476 sq ft. The larger rooms at the Polynesian actually make up more than 40% of all the rooms. Each room weighs 6 tons.

The design for the Great Ceremonial House (GCH) was inspired by the royal assembly lodges in Tahiti.

The water area just outside the marina is called Papette Bay.

The area where the quiet pool and newer longhouses are located use to be a putting green.

The Kukui Nut tree (just outside the GCH) was brought in from its native Hawaii and is the only Kukui nut tree in Florida .
    The Polynesian was the first resort to open and not the Contemporary. In fact the Polynesian rooms were ready days before even the park opened so they set up the press headquarters at the Polynesian for the opening of the MK.
    The wave machine that use to be out in the lagoon (that area of the lagoon is actually called Pepeete Bay) is no longer there and is documented in the Disney data base as being removed in 1985.

The Rumor of the reason for there not being any second floor balconies to keep out the legendary Menehune who are falsely considered evil or like gremlins but in Hawaiian history are considered master builders and would construct things over night and leave for the others on the island. Recent sources have found evidence that these were not mythical but a real culture in the early evolution of Hawaiian society. The moral to this story is that Menehune are not bad so any rumor that the design of the longhouses with out balconies was to keep with Hawaiian tradition is false. It was just the look they were going for and it was too expensive to retrofit the original longhouses to add back on balconies.

The travel time from the Polynesian to all 4 parks is actually faster from the Polynesian than from most of the resorts over near Epcot. This has been timed and a description of some of these times are shown on my site so next time someone tells you to stay at an Epcot resort so you can get to MGM and Epcot faster you might want to consider the actual details and times involved in getting to the parks.

magikindom is offline It's Yeti time!
    Cool
    I'm only happy in Disney World
    I am still a proud pod person
    Keep on babbeling

alalune042 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I haven't been to the polynesian in years. Where did you get all of these facts?
    NADIA

a dream is a wish your heart makes

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - WDW Trivia Book Author and Site Owner/Admin
    Awesome stuff, Steve!! These are great!!! Be sure to check out Steve's amazing site at http://www.tikiman2001.net/

Welcome to the DWT family!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    This is why it my favorite resort.Got to love the Poly.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

Quote Originally Posted by alalune042 View Post
    I haven't been to the polynesian in years. Where did you get all of these facts?
    I do research for my site and know many of the CMs there as well as people working behind the scenes all over WDW.

If you have not been in years than it is time to go back.

Aloha

Steve

DisneyorBust is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool Excellent!

Great POLY facts Steve! I think that it's time I return to the POLY, I haven't been there since October!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyorBust View Post
    Great POLY facts Steve! I think that it's time I return to the POLY, I haven't been there since October!!

Why have you waited so long to return???

DisneyorBust is offline C-Ticket Holder

Cool I really don't know....

Why I have waited so long!
    We need to return to the POLY! My family is as addicted to it as I am!