Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Did AirTran do the right thing?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • Yes, the parents had lost control of the situation and caused an unacceptable delay.

63 88.73%
  • No, the parents paid for thier flight and should have been able to stay.

8 11.27%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Tantrum causes AirTran to remove family from flight in the Vacation Planning forums; When this story was first going around the various shows, there was a mention of an ear problem. I don't know if she was experiencing an ear infection and/or recently ...
    MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    When this story was first going around the various shows, there was a mention of an ear problem. I don't know if she was experiencing an ear infection and/or recently had ear surgery. Whatever the ear issue was, the parent's were aware of it before they flew down the first time.

Does anyone else recall this?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    While overall I agree with the Airline's decision, that employee had no business telling them how to raise their child, or imply they are bad parents....I'd be pretty cheesed off too.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I'm siding with the airlines here. I think they were looking out for the other 112 people on board. Now, I know how bad temper tantrums can be. I have three little kids, but all three know how to act in public because we are teaching them to have respect for others. And, that the world does not revolve around them.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

disney fanatic is offline I don't wanna hurt you, I wanna KISS YOU!
    I am also with the airline. They need to make sure that everybody is safe and comfortable. If there is a problem, it needs to be hsndled properly, and unfortunately this problem resulted in removing the family. There are some families out there that don't monitor their children or reprimand them as well as they should and I don't blame the airline for taking that last step.

He won't win the MVP or be voted into the Hall of Fame........then again, some heroes don't play games.

Ms.HwithaBSwithaCT

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    People have brought up some thought provoking points of view on this thread. I think it shows that there is some information that the media has opted to leave out; if the child was sick or has other medical issues, if the child was already running wild in the terminal, and if the parents were or were not allowed to try to calm the child. I remember my sister telling of their trip back to MN from FL almost 20 years ago. Their daughter went spread eagle at the door of the plane and refused to board. She did NOT want to leave FL. It took both parents to get her in her seat and belted in. At the time, we understood my niece's reluctance to return to MN in the dead of winter. It's a good story with which to embarrass my niece, but it probably wasn't terribly entertaining to the rest of the crew and passengers. If airline travel and security rules and the like that we have now, were in place then, they could have been removed from the plane.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    You are right mini-V, that article link in the first post of this thread is missing a lot information regarding this story. Amazingly, the coverage a few weeks ago was more detailed. I don't know why People's article is so incomplete.

Either way, I haven't voted because I don't feel I have enough information.
    However and in general terms, I see no difference between a disruptive child causing a delay and a disorderly adult causing a delay on a flight. Either way, they need to be removed.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I would have to say that I am going to side with the airlines. They gave the family more than enough compensation for the situation. Not only did they reimburse the cost of the flight but they also offered free tickets to anywhere the company flies. I think that the family made out better than they would have it they had flown home that day. Just my humble opinion.
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

^^Hey DisneyGuy - I see you're from Canandaigua - I've driven past on 17 (or what ever the new number is) hundreds of times - or I should say slipped past on snow and ice many times. Hope you didn't get too snowed in...

...speaking of snow - I'm leaving it and doing Orlando next week, and flying with my 16 mo. old daughter. I'm sure (?) she won't have a tantrum (sitting on our lap so we CAN console her) - but I sided with airlines on this one. I understand rules, and make unbendable rules myself in my business. I'm not sure why AirTran would give them a gift of additional airfare... Would other airlines have done anything differently??

DisneyGuy81 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Hey Rocketeer - Oh I am very snowed in. We got a little over two feet here. Haven't had to go to work the past couple days - the joys of being a teacher. I am also headed to Florida next week and can't wait. Only going to Dinsney for a couple days but looking forward to it. Good luck with the trip.....I am driving down
    -Scott

The Happiest Place on Earth!!!

ky71 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I guess we shouldn't judge others but I sure am glad of a few things...firstly it wasn't my child and secondly I feel sorry for the unfortunate passengers on the next flight if the young child did it once and got away with it - next time???mmm
    Kylee

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by ky71 View Post
    I guess we shouldn't judge others but I sure am glad of a few things...firstly it wasn't my child and secondly I feel sorry for the unfortunate passengers on the next flight if the young child did it once and got away with it - next time???mmm
    As I recall, the family refused another flight and rented a car to drive back.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

DissyLove is offline Wendy's real. I've seen her, so don't even start with me.
    I have three kids, and we fly a lot. However, my middle child was such a handful, that for a good year I didn't travel with her on a plane just to avoid subjecting everyone around us to her travelling tirades. Now they are all good travellers, but I think parents need to be aware of the people around them a bit more-it not only is the right thing to do, but it teaches kids an important lesson about how you do and don't behave in public.
    That's my two cents!!!
    I am in need of some Disney magic!!

JEDIPRINCESS is offline I'm going back to the World YAHOO
    Yeah I agree with the airlines on this regardless if it was a child or an adult acting up I think removal was the best step. I dont care if the child was acting up before or if she was sick if they couldn't fly that plane safely they did the right thing by asking them to please get off. It wasn't like the famiy wasnt compestated for their troubles. I also have two children whom both have been flying since infancy and are now 13 & 9 and are very seasoned and excellent travelller's but are not perferct like anyone else. I very aware of the other people flying with us and when my to get out of sort I quickly remind them there are other people flying with us and they need to get it together. But like I metion before the airline had to do what was right for the other 100 or more people on that plane and have that family removed. Im sure if their child was acting right and it was someone else child causing the trouble or an adult Im sure they would want them to be remove as well.
    Last edited by JEDIPRINCESS; 02-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.

YES I"M GOING BACK AGAIN FOR HALLOWEEN

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    Well I hate to be the one to pass judgement on someone I don't know but based soley on that video clip on MSNBC, the little girl looks like she's mommy and daddy's "little princess", proabably an only child, who gets their undivided attention. In other words, she's probably a spoiled brat. I'm with Airtrain 110% on this case. What's sad is that stories like this make front headlines bashing Airtran. I praise Airtran for all the wonderful things they've done. For instance, they sent a FREE flight from here in Toledo down to Atlanta for all family members after the Bluffton University baseball team bus accident so that moms and dads could be with their sons in the hospital. How many airlines would do that?!
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

Ladyfair is offline A-Ticket holder
    I am behind the air line on this one. I notice more and more now days that parents are not parenting the child, but just letting them do as they please and that makes spoild brats an understatement. I guess I'm going to need one of those suits too, I believe in spanking when it is needed. Time outs and so forth don't always work and that is when the spanking is needed.
    that's my 2 cents worth

5/99 - first trip to WDW, off site, with boyfiend and his folks. GOT ENGAGED.
    11/00 - Second trip to WDW, off site, Honeymoon.
    5/03 - Third trip to WDW, off site, with husband, in-laws and nephews
    3/05 - Fourth trip to WDW, off site with husband, in-laws, mom, and nephews.
    12/07- Fifth trip to WDW, 1st time on site, with husband in-laws and mom.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast