Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Did AirTran do the right thing?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • Yes, the parents had lost control of the situation and caused an unacceptable delay.

63 88.73%
  • No, the parents paid for thier flight and should have been able to stay.

8 11.27%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Tantrum causes AirTran to remove family from flight in the Vacation Planning forums; Nothing personal, but this is an example of what's totally wrong with society these days. Yes, there may be some undiagnosed special needs. But the bottom line is that there ...
    Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Nothing personal, but this is an example of what's totally wrong with society these days. Yes, there may be some undiagnosed special needs. But the bottom line is that there are certain standards of behavior that must be mantained. PERIOD. Or, to put it like I tell my ADD son all the time -- the world doesn't care what you've got... you have to learn to function in the real world.
    Hypermommy

coasterfreak516 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Parents are not parenting their children and are letting them run wild. It happens in Disney World with those God-awful skate-shoes. Those are entirely annoying and should be in & out of the parks but because if the kids don't listen to the parents, they will not listen to anyone. I told a kid not to skate in the store and sure enough no more than five minutes later he did it again. I am not sure if the parents were actually trying to calm her down or not so I have no opinion either way.

As for travel regulations, I am getting on the soap box as I find it stupid that the airlines allow lighters and not liquids through the checkpoints. I mean you are entirely able burn someone with a lighter while with liquids you only have a chance of hurting someone. The possibilites of injury are entirely decreased when it comes to harm by liquids as oppose to burning someone with a lighter.

cheshire_cat_81 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I am now an old (hahah) man of 26, but I have to say this...If I EVER did that to my parents, not only would not I not be able to sit for a week, but I would probably never go on vacation again..As far as the parents go...they should go home with their tails between their legs. They should be very embarrassed with this entire situation. Perhaps if they were home with the kid more and not giving in to everything, this type of situation wouldn't happen. Don't get me wrong, Im not going to be running a boot camp when I have children, but there will certain things I would not tolerate. and that would be one of them...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!
    Quote Originally Posted by coasterfreak516 View Post
    As for travel regulations, I am getting on the soap box as I find it stupid that the airlines allow lighters and not liquids through the checkpoints. I mean you are entirely able burn someone with a lighter while with liquids you only have a chance of hurting someone. The possibilites of injury are entirely decreased when it comes to harm by liquids as oppose to burning someone with a lighter.
    Not that this is at all on the topic, but I think your data is a little scattered. First of all, lighters were banned for some time on most airlines, although I understand that they are now permitted again? I'm not entirely sure on this one, but my mom was mentioning something about the lighter ban being lifted. Secondly, the liquids ban was due primarily to a specific threat which involved explosive or flammable liquids being brought on board. I don't think the concern was so much someone getting conked in the head with a water bottle as it was someone somehow detonating some form of liquid explosive.

Let me get on my own soap box for a minute here. Being a pilot myself, and having taken a course detailing airline flight crew techniques and dealing with many a simulated emergency, I can tell you that of all the possible emergencies you can have on board an aircraft in flight, a fire is by far one of the most critical. What you have is anywhere from a couple dozen to several hundred people sitting practically on top of one another in a pressurized metal cylinder pumped to the gills full of almost pure oxygen, and with practically zero moisture in the air (due primarily to the altitude, but also because moisture and other contaminants in the air can speed up the corrosion of the airframe). Not to mention that many of the materials in the airplanes are flammable themselves, although airlines and aircraft manufacturers have been working for decades to try and minimize the number of flammable materials and replace them with fire resistant ones.

I did an in-depth study on a particular incident, the Air Canada flight 797 incident which took place on June 2nd, 1983, when a fire broke out inside the wall of the aircraft lavatory and eventually engulfed most of cabin in smoke. The aircraft made an emergency approach and landing at KCVG, and did land safely, and even began evacuating passengers... but just to prove how deadly and unpredictable fire can be at all times, about a 60-90 seconds after the doors had been opened, the influx of fresh oxygen sparked a flash fire which consumed the interior of the aircraft almost instantaneously, killing 23 passengers still on board, many still in their seats.

I use this case as an example of how dangerous and unpredictable fires on aircraft can be for two reasons. First of all, the unpredictability of the fire, and secondly... the kinds of things that can spark one. While I don't believe a specific cause of the fire was ever determined, my personal belief, based on the evidence I have researched, is that the fire most likely started because of a short in the wiring of the lavatory flush valve motor, burning undetected inside the wall of the lavatory until the smoke became noticeable, and at which time it was already much to large to control, despite the cabin crew taking action with a fire axe and an extinguisher. Yep... a motor that flushes the toilet, located inside a wall that nobody takes much notice of... not exactly someplace you would expect to have a problem like a fire, and yet look at the results. So you can see just how dangerous a passenger with a container of some form of flammable or explosive liquid or gel substance sitting in the cabin among flammable materials and other passengers could be infinitely more catastrophic. Lighters or matches on their own are only so dangerous. You might give someone a little burn, or maybe even start a small fire which a flight attendant could probably handle with a fire bottle if it is reacted to quickly enough. But add some form of accelerant, and you've got yourself a serious problem in a hurry. And THAT is why liquids are so much more dangerous than a lighter to bring on an airplane.

We now return you to your regularly schedule programming. Oh, and by the way, I too feel as if I would have to have been there to say whether or not I would side with the parents in this case. But I guess with what I know now, I'm sort of leaning towards the direction of the airline. There are rules and regulations in place for a reason, and if a passenger is not in compliance, for whatever the reason, the airline can refuse to transport them. But like I said, I do wish I knew more of the details first.
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MainStreet, USA View Post
    Being a pilot myself, and having taken a course detailing airline flight crew techniques and dealing with many a simulated emergency, I can tell you that of all the possible emergencies you can have on board an aircraft in flight, a fire is by far one of the most critical.
    With the most critical being snakes? Or worse, snakes having tantrums?

(Thanks for taking the time to elaborate on this one, Don--much better job than I'd have managed.)
    Last edited by Conceited Ape; 09-05-2007 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Typos.......why'd it HAVE to be typos?

skiyalater is offline Almost time for school!
    I think it was a fine decision. The girl had to be in the seat or else the airline could get sued because it was against the FAA rules. If it took 15 minutes and they still couldn't get the kid in the seat, then they should not be on the flight, because other people have places to be other than sitting in a plane listening to a three year old scream.
    "Por favor mantaganse alejado de las puertas"
    GO RED SOX!!!!
    Some people say I'm A.D.D., but I HEY LOOK A SQUIRREL!!!!!

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    You may now take one bic-type lighter through security in your carry-on or one in checked luggage. It falls under the 3.4 ounces also of liquids per item that you ARE allowed to take through security. I can get a whole week's worth of shampoo, toothpaste, perfume, hand sanitizer, lotion, etc. in my carry-on with no problem.
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    It really don't matter here are there except that they wanted to ride Airtrans plane. They were ready to take off. Rules state that kid needed a seat..they bought the seat..she wasn't in the seat and wasn't going to get in the seat. Parents should of raise kid better or had something to calm the kid down whether should it be a toy, book or like our case with our son, prescibed medication. Anyway you cut it...1 passenger wasn't ready to go..why hold up the rest ???

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I am totally with the airlines. There is no way that either of my boys would ever think of raising a hand to me. I think it is a shame that parents don't teach their kids how to behave, they are not doing themselves OR their kids any favours.
    I don't think it matters if the child has underlying problems either, my eldest son has aspbergers syndrome, which is on the autistic spectrum, and he would never behave like that because I have taught him to consider and respect people around him.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by tarynkelly View Post
    I am totally with the airlines. There is no way that either of my boys would ever think of raising a hand to me. I think it is a shame that parents don't teach their kids how to behave, they are not doing themselves OR their kids any favours.
    I don't think it matters if the child has underlying problems either, my eldest son has aspbergers syndrome, which is on the autistic spectrum, and he would never behave like that because I have taught him to consider and respect people around him.
    My son also has aspberger and even though its a social disorder..he would never act like that...the girls parents just did a pitiful job raising this girl. Shame on them..not the airline.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I agree with the airlines. I am hoping my youngest doesnt' decide to have a fit when we fly. But he will have to just get over it and realize it isn't his choice and it isn't fair to all these other people. I have tried to raise him correctly but stubborn is stubborn and a young child's reason isn't true to reality.

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    What an interesting thread. Yes I agree with the airline totally on this one. They didn't just kick them off the flight, either. They reimbursed them and offered free air travel later, which shows they were trying to be empathetic with the family, in spite of how selfish and ugly they were being.

nicki12 is offline Disney Fan and Twilighter
    I agree with the airline,I understand it is hard to control a child but you are the parent and you have to get that child in the seat. It is not fair to the passengers,you can't expect all 112 passengers to wait for a three year old

Nicole a.k.a. nicki12 ~ a Navy daughter
    Huge fan of the Twilight Series!
    "All your dreams can come true, if you have the courage to pursue them" - Walt Disney

dsnyqwn1 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree with the airlines. If my daughter, who will be four next year when we fly to Disney, does this on our flight I would remove myself and her from the plane in respect for other passengers. I hope that with all the other traveling that we do by car will get her use to sitting in a seat for a period of time; cross my fingers. Parents need to get control of their children. If they cannot behave in a grocery store or restaurant why would you travel with them.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Tantrum causes AirTran to remove family from flight

I side with Air Tran.Who wants to hear an out-of-control child on a 2-3 hour flight?I think the attendants did the right thing.They got another flight the next day,plus tix for a future flight.Mr Dad,needs to get over it,and realize that one family can't be given speacial attention when 100 or so passengers are waiting to get to their destination.
    As for the child,she may be cute according to the video clip;but what she needs,and the parents as well,is God in their lives.If they would raise that child according to the word of God and spank the child as she needs it;then she might be a more well-behaved child.My two girls got their share of spankings when they were younger and now they are two good teenagers,one graduating and going to college,and the other maintaining an average of 95 and better in her grades.All because I have raised them up in church and they know what they can do and especially what they can't.I rest my case.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast