Your Walt Disney World Information Station

View Poll Results: Did AirTran do the right thing?

Voters
71. This poll is closed
  • Yes, the parents had lost control of the situation and caused an unacceptable delay.

63 88.73%
  • No, the parents paid for thier flight and should have been able to stay.

8 11.27%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Transportation Discuss Tantrum causes AirTran to remove family from flight in the Vacation Planning forums; I was reading the current issue of "People" magazine when I came upon and article about a family that had been removed from their flight due to their child's uncontrollable ...
    MickeyBabe is offline Lady Administrator..................... Sassy but Humble Parks Game Player

Tantrum causes AirTran to remove family from flight

I was reading the current issue of "People" magazine when I came upon and article about a family that had been removed from their flight due to their child's uncontrollable temper tantrum.

The story is recounted here....

AirTran removes family from flight....

The "People" article states that the family is responsible for reporting the story to news sources in an attempt at public sympathy but found that 90% of the more than 8000 emails and letters to the airline are in support of the airline's action.

With the large number of flying members here, I was wondering your thoughts on this story.
    ~ Valerie
    WDWRadio.com Senior Staff - Site Administrator
    *)
    ..*) .*)
    (. (. * Faith Trust and Pixie Dust*

I'm a first day D23 Charter Member!

One man's Trivia is another man's Wisdom

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I think the airlines were more than fair to reimburse them their money back. I can feel for them though. Sometimes only a few moments of talking to your child can calm them. However, it was already delayed and that messes up everyone else's connections. I support the airlines totally with this one.

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius
    I'm with the airlines on this one. They did more than enough to compensate the family for having to be removed from the plane.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Wait...is this the same story that was on the morning talk shows a few weeks ago?
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    I am donning my flame retardant suit now, but if my child hit me, there would be spankings happening right in front of God and everybody. Any child who hits the parents is ruling the roost and not the other way around. They could have talked to her until they were blue in the face and she wasn't going to sit down until she was good and ready.
    They call me "Nana"

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Wait...is this the same story that was on the morning talk shows a few weeks ago?
    yes, I believe it is.

I can't side with either party, as I don't feel I know the whole story. For example, the airline says there had already been a 15 minute delay BUT was that delay solely caused by this little girl's tantrum? or was the flight already delayed and they feared this kid was going to make it worse? And why couldn't the family hold or console her during those 15 minutes? That part doesn't make any sense to me. Kid is on the floor, you pick her up.

Generally, I agree with the airline, because as one person pointed out in another thread somewhere, what would have happened if they unbuckled the girl during the flight and she refused to sit for landing?
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

peterpanflight is offline Fastpass Holder
    i agree with the airline.....someone said the girl hit her parents? Im not too aware of the story but if this was the case...my child would get a beaten!!! Sorry but any child who hits their parents.....no need of it...i know this is off the subject but im a nanny and i see the kids i watch totally take advantage of their parents. For example yesterday the 3 year had his jacket on and we were about to leave for gymnastics when the mom pulled in the driveway...he takes his jacket off laughs and runs around the house!! I could not believe it. He would never to that with me!!
    I dont put up with any of that nonsense!
    shannon

vmkplayer is offline <3 ragdollaye
    i agree with the airlines. No parent should have to put up with hitting..(i think the might need super nanny on the airplane lol jk)
    Kingdom Keepers forever!!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I agree that we don't know where the delay came from, but I'm siding with the airlines. We don't know where the tempertantum began; when they boarded or was the child already ruling the roost in the terminal. I also hope the family keeps their promise to never fly AirTran again. (I fly that airline often and I don't need a screaming child messing up my travel plans.)
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Hypermommy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    I am donning my flame retardant suit now, but if my child hit me, there would be spankings happening right in front of God and everybody. Any child who hits the parents is ruling the roost and not the other way around. They could have talked to her until they were blue in the face and she wasn't going to sit down until she was good and ready.
    Is there room in that flame retardant suit for me? Because I happened to hear about the story while taking my 11 year old child to school and I reminded him if he ever pulled some kind of stunt like that I'd tan his little hide until it was as red as his hair. I just can't believe what some parents let kids get away with these days. And then they wonder why their little darlings get into trouble with the law, etc. as they get older. Hey, I know... how about a law that requires new parents to sit down for ten minutes and watch all the Oompaloompa songs from Willy Wonka?

Hypermommy

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Oompaloompa doodly doo, I've got another riddle for you.

See what you've started?
    They call me "Nana"

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by Hypermommy View Post
    Hey, I know... how about a law that requires new parents to sit down for ten minutes and watch all the Oompaloompa songs from Willy Wonka?

I've been wanting a licensing exam that people have to pass in order to reproduce. We require it for so many other things, let's add parenting to the list!
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

First Timer is offline I saw the Mouse now I want to go back!
    I agree totally w/the airline. That girl need to learn to respect her parent Now while she still young or look out when she's a teenager..
    Loni

First Trip- Jan. 07, POFQ
    Second Trip- May 08, Pop Century

Creambunni is offline It's a small world after all...
    While I agree with the airline, I don't know if it's the parent's fault and that they are raising a brat. Who knows, maybe they got up early and the girl was just tired? The articles say nothing about if the girl has regular temper tantrums.
    "It's a small world after all..."

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Creambunni View Post
    While I agree with the airline, I don't know if it's the parent's fault and that they are raising a brat. Who knows, maybe they got up early and the girl was just tired? The articles say nothing about if the girl has regular temper tantrums.
    That is a valid point. The girl could also have special needs, possibly not diagnosed yet at that age. Several autistic spectrum disorders could be to blame there. I know from experience.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast