Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Best way to get to Pop Century from Sanford airport? in the Vacation Planning forums; Normally, when I take a trip, I go via MCO, since I usually fly out of Heathrow. This year, to save myself a lot of unnecessary worry about connecting flights, ...
    elcondor is offline A-Ticket holder

Best way to get to Pop Century from Sanford airport?

Normally, when I take a trip, I go via MCO, since I usually fly out of Heathrow.

This year, to save myself a lot of unnecessary worry about connecting flights, I'm flying out of my local airport, which takes me into Sanford.

Is there anything particularly special I need to know about new procedures (I'm English, and last flew to the US 2 years ago).

I also wonder if anyone knows the best way to get to the Pop Century side of the property from Sanford?

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    If you are driving directly from the Sanford Airport, the easiest and least congested way to get to WDW would be via the Central Florida Greenway (SR 417). This is a toll road, but it is much less confusing and congested than I-4, which is not a toll road.

If you take 417 south, you continue to exit 2 (I believe) which is the Osceola Parkway (SR 522). Turn right at the stop sign and follow the signs to WDW. Once you get through the WDW entrance, turn right at the first traffic light (Victory Way) which will lead you directly to Pop Century (which is on the right).

If you try to get directions through Mapquest or Google Maps, they will direct you in a much more complicated way just to avoid the tolls. Believe me, if you're not used to driving in the Orlando area, you're much better off going the way I directed you.

This trip will take you a little less than one hour.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

tasha36 is offline Dreaming....
    Totally agree with the above! Make sure you have some dollars and change for the toll booths and you can get through quickly. The only problem we ever have is getting onto the 417 from the airport, as the junction comes up sooner than you think. It is an easy mistake to correct though - just turn round and go back.
    Tasha

1981 - Offsite
    1983 - Offsite
    1987 - Offsite
    1990 - Offsite
    1993 - Offsite
    2002 - All Star Movies
    2006 - Coronado Springs
    2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter
    2014 - Whole family trip! (Thanks Dad!)
    2015 - Three trips in a row?? Fingers crossed

Thanks, I've used I-4 before, when driving from MCO, but it is going to be late at night when I arrive, so it's probably best to stick to places that are easy to see.
    Last edited by elcondor; 02-22-2007 at 06:13 AM.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by elcondor View Post
    Thanks, I've used I-4 before, when driving from MCO, but it is going to be late at night when I arrive, so it's probably best to stick to places that are easy to see.
    I generally agree with what others have said about preferring 417 to I-4. However, if you're arriving late at night, the traffic on I-4 should not be the problem that it is during the day. Plus, late at night (and even during the day at the Osceola Parkway exit) some of the toll booths may not be manned, so you may need exact change.

I've never been to the Sanford airport, but looking at the map it seems like I-4 should be as easy to get onto as 417, and they are right by each other when you get to Disney too. If you choose I-4, just make sure you get on it going West. Also, the signs for Disney from I-4 are, at least to me, confusing and don't seem to send you the best way all the time. To get to Pop Century from I-4, the best way is to get off at the Osceola Parkway exit. I believe it is exit 65, and it is marked as being the exit for Gaylord Palms. The exit will split into two lanes when you get off, one lane going to Disney and the other going to Gaylord Palms. Take the lane towards Disney, which should be the right lane, and you'll be on Osceola Parkway Westbound. Less than a mile ahead, you'll come to the traffic light at Victory Way (Wide World of Sports resort is on the left at this intersection), where you'll turn right, so you'll be going roughly North on Victory Way. Pop Century is on your right.

Tony

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by elcondor View Post
    Normally, when I take a trip, I go via MCO, since I usually fly out of Heathrow.

This year, to save myself a lot of unnecessary worry about connecting flights, I'm flying out of my local airport, which takes me into Sanford.

Is there anything particularly special I need to know about new procedures (I'm English, and last flew to the US 2 years ago).

I also wonder if anyone knows the best way to get to the Pop Century side of the property from Sanford?
    As far as the new security procedures, at least for domestic flying within the US, about the only thing that's changed since two years ago is the requirement to put any carry-on fluids into bottles of 3 ounces or less, all of which must be presented to screening in a quart size, transparent ziplock-type bag. There is a lot of information on the TSA web site at www.tsa.gov, but I don't know how much of the information is applicable to travelers originating outside the US.

When I was at Newark earlier this week, I saw signs that said that fluids purchased after security screening, such as drinks purchased at newstands or restaurants in the gate area, would now be allowed on board the aircraft, but it seemed like a new thing, and I'm not sure how widespread it is even in the US, let alone internationally. So I wouldn't count on being able to bring anything to drink with you on the plane.

Beyond that, they do seem to be a little more thorough with security screening than they were before the foiled bomb plot a while back. How much of an impact this has depends on a lot of things probably, including how well each airport handles it. MCO was very crowded when I left, but they had so many lanes open and so much TSA staff that they were moving people through very quickly. At Newark, on the other hand, it was a bit slower, mainly because they didn't have as many people doing line control. There were plenty of lines open, but many of them stayed idle for a good percentage of the time, and there was just one guy trying to keep the line moving and he wasn't doing a very good job. Bottom line, allow plenty of time to get through security just in case -- but bring something to read because you'll probably be spending a lot of time in the gate area waiting for your flight.

Tony

Mike2006 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Does Sanford offer the Magical Express?

I know we restrict fluids on board all flights, but I wondered if immigration was any tighter.

Thanks for all the info.

cmauney is offline A-Ticket holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike2006 View Post
    Does Sanford offer the Magical Express?
    No, Magical Express does not pick up at Sanford. However, we flew into Sanford on the 16h of February and used Quicksilver car service. They were waiting on us when we arrived, loaded and unloaded our luggage for us. They also picked us up on our departure date. I would use them anytime; very clean and professional. The cost was $288 including tax/tip for roundtrip including a 45 minute stop at Publix (I purchased 15 extra miinutes).