Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss going to kennedy space center in the Vacation Planning forums; HI !! I will be staying on disney property, most likely the value resort, for the first week in july. My family wanted to also go to the kennedy space ...
    starlightbh8 is offline A-Ticket holder

Question going to kennedy space center

HI !! I will be staying on disney property, most likely the value resort, for the first week in july. My family wanted to also go to the kennedy space center and the beach near the space center (i think it's cocoa beach?) for a day.

My question is what is the cheapest or most economical way to get there for one day? Would renting a car from disney be the best? and if so how should i go about doing that? I haven't been to WDW before so i'm kind of confused about the process or what options there are to rent a car for a day. Oh and i will be flying in from california to the Orlando airport and be using the magical express to the disney resort. Thanks for the help !!!
    Ariel: [singing] "Up where they walk/up where they run/up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free/wish I could be/Part of that world..."

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    KSC's web site FAQ says that they don't offer transportation from Orlando (which I kind of suspected). They direct you to http://www.go2orlando.com/, but I couldn't find anything there about transportation either.

Renting a car is one option. You might also consider looking into a shuttle service. Mears seems to be a big one, I see their vans on and around Disney property literally every time I'm there. Look them up on Google and give them a call. You may not be able to get airport shuttle pricing from Disney to KSC, but even then it should still be cheaper than renting a car and paying for gas (and $7 in tolls) from Disney to KSC and back, plus you don't have to worry about finding your way around.

On the other hand, if you want to be able to wander around our beautiful county after your day at KSC is done, you'll pretty much need your own car. Bear in mind, however, that KSC is a pretty full day (and is priced as such so I doubt you'll be inclined to call it quits without seeing everything there is to see), so you may not have much time for anything else.

One more tip -- keep your eye on Florida Today's web site (www.flatoday.com). In their "Space" section is a link to a page listing upcoming space launches. There's nothing showing right now for July, but there's a shuttle scheduled for June 28 -- and shuttle launches are often scrubbed, sometimes by days, which means you could get lucky. This will impact your KSC planning in two ways. First, I have never tried to get on the compound during a launch day (except for the one time I got a ticket), but I do know that they sell tickets to watch launches from the visitor complex, and they're available in limited quantities, so I assume access to the center is limited at these times.

On the other hand, if you happen to be in FL on a launch day, and you have a car, there is an excellent vantage point for space launches at Jetty Park at Port Canaveral. It's something like $5 for parking to get in. It does fill up though, so you'll want to make sure you arrive very early if you plan to try to view the launch.

Tony

iwannabeminnie is offline I'm old! I'm like the cryptkeeper!
    Let me know how you like it when you get back! Mr. iwbm and I are going to spend the Saturday after our cruise there.
    They call me "Nana"

Quote Originally Posted by iwannabeminnie View Post
    Let me know how you like it when you get back! Mr. iwbm and I are going to spend the Saturday after our cruise there.
    I've been there a few times, and all I can tell you is that it appears to depend very heavily on the individual. I happen to love it there, and my wife hates it with a passion. I guess it depends on how much of a space nut you are.

Still, I think that even for someone with passing interest, it's something you will enjoy at least the first time. There is a lot of history there.

Tony

starlightbh8 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks so much for all the tips !!! That will help me so much while i plan the trip. Knowing a launch will happen on that day, i'll try to go earlier to try and see it. Wait, so there isn't car rental places on the disney property??? I thought i read somewhere on these forums that there was, oh well. I'll probabley look into the mears transportation so i won't have to worry about tolls and getting lost. But i would like to look into going to Cocoa beach which is nearby, right??

Is there anything else i should try and see while i am in the space center area?? Don't want to miss anything important or worthwhile since i won't come back to Florida for a while. Oh and how far is the space center from disney??

Thanks so much for helping!!! If there is anything tips or things like that, can you post it?? And i'll make sure to tell all about my trip !!!
    Ariel: [singing] "Up where they walk/up where they run/up where they stay all day in the sun/Wanderin' free/wish I could be/Part of that world..."

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    You can rent a car right on Disney property - there was a thread about it a few months ago: http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ead.php?t=9679

National has rental cars on property.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Quote Originally Posted by starlightbh8 View Post
    Wait, so there isn't car rental places on the disney property??? I thought i read somewhere on these forums that there was, oh well. I'll probabley look into the mears transportation so i won't have to worry about tolls and getting lost. But i would like to look into going to Cocoa beach which is nearby, right??
    There is a car rental place on Disney property. I thought it was Alamo, but everyone else in that other thread was saying it is National. Anyway, it is right outside the Magic Kingdom parking lot (on the exit side) where the gas station and AAA Travel Center are located.

And yes, Cocoa Beach is just a little south of KSC.

Quote Originally Posted by starlightbh8 View Post
    Is there anything else i should try and see while i am in the space center area?? Don't want to miss anything important or worthwhile since i won't come back to Florida for a while. Oh and how far is the space center from disney??
    KSC is a little over an hour from Disney.

Port Canaveral is right near KSC, and is pretty nice. There is a section called "The Cove" which has a bunch of restaurants. I've only ever eaten at one, Rusty's, which is like a Hooters specializing in seafood. But the food is good.

I also mentioned Jetty Park as a place from which to watch a shuttle launch. It also happens to be located right on the inlet through which cruise ships pass on their way in and out of the port. I was there with my parents on a Saturday afternoon, and as we were driving in the guy at the gate said to hang around til 4 and we could watch the cruise ships leave. We ended up seeing a virtual parade of about 5 ships sailing out through the inlet, including one of the Disney ships (the Wonder).

If you happen to be in town on July 4, Ron Jon Surf Shop sponsors a large fireworks display over the ocean every year. Outside of Disney, it's probably the best in the region (although it doesn't hold a candle even to plain old Wishes, and I'm sure Disney goes bigger and better for Independence Day).

I'm sure there's plenty more to do in the Port Canaveral/KSC/Cocoa Beach area. I don't get up that way very much, because as I said my wife doesn't care for KSC and that would be the main draw for me. If you like animals, you end up getting a car, and don't mind travelling another 20 minutes or so out of the way, the Brevard Zoo is a nice little zoo right off I-95, about 10 miles south of SR-528, which is the route you'll take from Disney to KSC. My favorites are the interactive exhibits -- there's one where you can feed giraffes and there's a free-flight aviary where you can feed little cups of nectar to colorful little birds called lorikeets that will land on your shoulder or hand to eat from the cup. It all depends on how long your trip is, and how much of it you intend to spend at Disney. Brevard Zoo isn't something I would say you can't leave Florida without seeing, but if you have time to kill and are looking for something to do, I would seriously consider it. I've written a review of if on Epinions which can be found at the following link (you can also find reviews written by others):

http://www.epinions.com/content_219223789188

(I hope posting this link is OK. Just so everyone knows, if you click here, I could possibly earn as much as $0.00001 ).

Tony
    Last edited by tizzo; 02-27-2007 at 01:05 PM.