Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Buses.... in the Vacation Planning forums; We're staying off property, and are not renting a car. Our resort, however, charges for their shuttle to the parks. (I think this is ridiculous, every other place we've ever ...
    Pigeon is offline Care of: "Mike Wazowski, you've got your life back" lane

Buses....

We're staying off property, and are not renting a car. Our resort, however, charges for their shuttle to the parks. (I think this is ridiculous, every other place we've ever stayed at has a FREE shuttle....but I digress). We were thinking, instead, of hopping in a cab to Downtown Disney, and then using the transportation from there. So, can we get to the parks from the Marketplace? How often do the buses run? And how early/late do they run?
    Thanks!!

Its kind of fun to do the impossible - W. Disney

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    It depends how early/late they run...It's depends on the parks. They run about every10-20 minutes or so. (Don't quote me!) For the other questions, I'm sorry, but I don't know the answers! Sorry! Have fun!
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    You might consider renting a car depending on how expensive the shuttle service is. We got a deal for less than $20 per day (I think it was around $17) for an economy car. Of course, there's gas and parking to consider, but the freedom of not waiting for the shuttles is nice.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

Maestr034 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Downtown Disney does not offer buses to the parks only to the resorts. You can still get to the parks from the resorts though.
    [CENTER]
    The Maestro
    Married at The Disney Wedding Pavilon
    6-4-05

TinkAttitude is offline grumpy too
    i agree - you should at least look into renting a car - it'll take quite awhile via taxi to bus to resort to park...
    best of luck!

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Aside from abusing Disney's transportation system, your plan would be carried out very slowly. From Downtown Disney to a Disney resort to a park would take about one hour.
    -- Eric

threeleggeddog is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Taxis are expensive in Orlando, I think it would be cheaper to rent an econobox.

HappyDznyCamper is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Aside from abusing Disney's transportation system, your plan would be carried out very slowly. From Downtown Disney to a Disney resort to a park would take about one hour.
    Not really abusing the system, the buses are for ALL guest of the WDW RESORT, not just those who stay at a Disney owned hotel. You are correct however that it is not a very effficiant way of getting to the parks.
    Maggie

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Yup, renting a car would be cheaper on the long run even if you factor in parking and gas. A cab ride could easily cost a ton more depending on how far you ride and how many times you have to ride it.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyDznyCamper View Post
    Not really abusing the system, the buses are for ALL guest of the WDW RESORT, not just those who stay at a Disney owned hotel.
    By the letter of the "law" you are correct, but by the spirit of the "law" you are not, at least regarding Downtown Disney (DTD). Doing as the OP asked WOULD be an abuse of the system. Please allow me to explain ....

In years past, there used to be buses that ran DIRECTLY between the parks and DTD. Problem was, Disney realized that many people who were NOT guests at a WDW resort were parking for free at DTD and taking buses to the theme parks in order to avoid the parking fees at the parks; this not only meant lost revenue from parking fees, but also meant that parking spots meant for patrons of DTD were being used up by people who weren't shopping and dining at DTD, and people who had DTD as a destination had difficulty finding parking spots.

As a DIRECT RESULT of this, Disney discontinued direct buses between the parks and DTD. Thus, we know that Disney has a history of not wanting people to park at DTD and go from there to the parks. They have a specific history of not wanting people to do this. Thus, my comment about abusing the system.

With this specific information in mind, perhaps now you have a better understanding of where I was coming from.
    Last edited by CleveRocks; 03-31-2007 at 08:10 PM. Reason: stupid typos
    -- Eric