Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss taxi to Fort Wilderness? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi all - My family is heading to WDW in August. For the most part we will be utilizing Disney transportation, except, I am thinking of taking a taxi from ...
    brkn3467 is offline A-Ticket holder

taxi to Fort Wilderness?

Hi all -

My family is heading to WDW in August. For the most part we will be utilizing Disney transportation, except, I am thinking of taking a taxi from POR to Hoop Dee Doo. Has anyone ever done this? How much was the fare? How long did it take?

Thanks!

hgraber is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Don't you think it would be much cheaper to just take a bus to the closest park and then hop a bus to Fort Wilderness? It'll take a little longer (isn't it the last stop on the bus that goes to the All-Star resorts? Maybe I'm wrong, but for some reason I remember being on the same bus as Ft. Wilderness on my 1st WDW trip. Okay, that was like 13 years ago.) but I'll bet it would be expensive to take a cab since the taxi's there are really over priced at WDW.
    I believe in Happily Ever Afters.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by brkn3467 View Post
    Hi all -

My family is heading to WDW in August. For the most part we will be utilizing Disney transportation, except, I am thinking of taking a taxi from POR to Hoop Dee Doo. Has anyone ever done this? How much was the fare? How long did it take?

Thanks!
    There's no very quick way to get to Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Even if you take a taxi to Fort Wilderness, that's not the end of your journey. FW is pretty large, and Pioneer Hall, the site of HDD, is pretty much near the back of this sprawling resort. It's a VERY healthy walk, so your only real choice is to wait for FW's internal shuttle bus to take you to near Pioneer Hall.

On the other hand, you can take the bus from POR to MK. Walk across from the bus area and get a motor launch (boat) from MK to FW; it will stop at Wilderness Lodge first. The boat ride makes it kind of interesting. You get to sail from Seven Seas Lagoon to Bay Lake. Bay Lake is one of the very few natural bodies of water on WDW property. What makes this journey doubly interesting is exactly HOW you chug from Seven Seas Lagoon to Bay Lake. You ride the boat in a canal of sorts. This canal is unique because it's actually a bridge, an overpass, that goes OVER a road. It goes over the road that the buses take to get to and from MK. It's a pretty weird sight to ride in a boat that goes OVER a roadway.

Anyway, sorry for getting off-track. The main advantage to this is that FW's boat dock is about a two-minute walk from Pioneer Hall. It's just down a walking path from the dock.

So your choices are taxi and then bus, or bus and then boat. I'm not sure how long the first one will take, probably less than 30 minutes (including waiting time for the bus). The second one will surely take longer, maybe an hour, but in my opinion will be more interesting.
    -- Eric

brkn3467 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thanks for the responses. The issue for me is not cost but time. I agree that the bus/boat journey sounds much more fun and interesting. It all depends on how much time we spend at Epcot (our only Epcot day) before our 5pm HDD show. Would like to swim or shower and relax for an hour or so before dinner - but don't want to leave Epcot too early.

Thanks again!