Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Airport Question in the Vacation Planning forums; Well my family and I go to Disney about once a year, but we always drive. This year my boyfriend isn't able to drive down with us since we are ...
    miss minnie is offline A-Ticket holder

Airport Question

Well my family and I go to Disney about once a year, but we always drive. This year my boyfriend isn't able to drive down with us since we are making a week long stop in North Carolina and he has a job.

So basically we need some help with this... he is going to fly in our second day of Disney. My mom and I are going to the park that day together (mother/daughter day haha) and then at 9:40 he'll be flying into Orlando. He wants me to meet him there. Now, I've never flown into the Orlando airport.. only once in Tampa.. the rest of the time we just bring our RV.

This is an odd situation I know, but it's for my birthday so I want to plan out the bugs of the trip before we get there. Thanks!

Stacey
    " When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do."
    -Walt Disney

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Basically if you know the part (A or B) of the airport that he'll be flying into, it's pretty straight forward. We ususally call (my dd) when we arrive. We tell her where we are standing outside, (under the Virgin Airways sign or whaterver) and she just comes up and picks us up; a tuck and roll. I guess it depends on how far away you will be. I think the airport is about 30 minutes from WDW, but don't quote me on that. Good luck.
    Last edited by mini-V; 06-08-2007 at 04:16 PM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Thanks.. the only problem is I don't have a car. I guess I should have mentioned I'd be taking the shuttle.. although I have no idea where one is or if it costs anything. This is just never something we had to handle while in Disney.

Stacey
    -Walt Disney

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Where will you be staying? Maybe the Magical Express can whisk him over to your resort if you are staying on property.

We're staying at Fort Wilderness

so what are the details about this Magical Express. I tried reading about it but I don't know if this includes the campground. Is it free? If he took that then he wouldn't need me to go and meet him, right?

Stacey
    -Walt Disney

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I just saw another thread for Magical Express, maybe read up on that one, I don't know if FW is part of it or not.

You would not have to meet him at the airport, he would get to the resort using Magical Express (it's pretty great!).

If you opt to cab it, it could get pricey for you all to go back and forth to the airport, probably cheaper to get a rental, even if it is just for a day.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by miss minnie View Post
    We're staying at Fort Wilderness

so what are the details about this Magical Express. I tried reading about it but I don't know if this includes the campground. Is it free? If he took that then he wouldn't need me to go and meet him, right?
    Disney's Magical Express is FREE for anyone named on the reservation at a WDW owned-and-operated resort. Fort Wilderness certainly is a Disney owned-and-operated resort.

DME is two things:
    • round-trip transportation between the airport and your resort on a plushly upholstered motorcoach

• one-way automatic luggage transfer between the airplane and your resort (after you land, you totally skip baggage claim, and a few hours later the luggage is delivered to the inside of your resort room whether you're in the room or not!)

Everyone named on the reservation can use DME. It doesn't matter if you're arriving or leaving on different days.

When you ride the bus from the airport to your resort, it must be on your day of check-in. When going from your resort to the airport, it must be on your day of check-out. What I'm trying to explain is that it's not unlimited bus service. In other words, you won't be able to take DME from FW to the airport to meet your boyfriend and then ride back to the resort on the DME bus with him. So not only would you NOT need to meet him at the airport, you wouldn't be able to do it unless you paid for a taxi to get yourself back and forth!

You can call DME directly at 866-599-0951. DME is free, but you must make reservations to use it. PLEASE post again if you have any further questions.
    -- Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    Disney's Magical Express is FREE for anyone named on the reservation at a WDW owned-and-operated resort. Fort Wilderness certainly is a Disney owned-and-operated resort.

DME is two things:
    • round-trip transportation between the airport and your resort on a plushly upholstered motorcoach
    • one-way automatic luggage transfer between the airplane and your resort (after you land, you totally skip baggage claim, and a few hours later the luggage is delivered to the inside of your resort room whether you're in the room or not!)
    Everyone named on the reservation can use DME. It doesn't matter if you're arriving or leaving on different days.

When you ride the bus from the airport to your resort, it must be on your day of check-in. When going from your resort to the airport, it must be on your day of check-out. What I'm trying to explain is that it's not unlimited bus service. In other words, you won't be able to take DME from FW to the airport to meet your boyfriend and then ride back to the resort on the DME bus with him. So not only would you NOT need to meet him at the airport, you wouldn't be able to do it unless you paid for a taxi to get yourself back and forth!

You can call DME directly at 866-599-0951. DME is free, but you must make reservations to use it. PLEASE post again if you have any further questions.

Eric,

Thank you so much. That is a big help. And more of a convinence to me seeing as I can stay neatly put in Disney.

btw, I'm from the Jersey Shore too. Cool

Thanks again!

Stacey
    -Walt Disney