Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Need suggestions for flight issue in the Vacation Planning forums; We have a trip booked for November 23 - December 1. I booked this back in February with WDW travel people. After booking I found a better arrival flight and ...
    tharmscott is offline A-Ticket holder

Need suggestions for flight issue

We have a trip booked for November 23 - December 1. I booked this back in February with WDW travel people. After booking I found a better arrival flight and called to see if I could change it. They said yes but it would cost $300+ (100 per person + a fee). I chose not to do it. Since that time they have changed my returning flight 3 times. I don't like the last flight they changed me to so I called. The airline help desk said they changed my flight this time because the flight I had was a shared flight with Northwest and they couldn't book me on that one. They told me there were no other flights leaving Orlanda to Tulsa after 1:55 p.m. I contacted WDW Guest Relations and they said there was nothing they could do to help me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by tharmscott View Post
    We have a trip booked for November 23 - December 1. I booked this back in February with WDW travel people. After booking I found a better arrival flight and called to see if I could change it. They said yes but it would cost $300+ (100 per person + a fee). I chose not to do it. Since that time they have changed my returning flight 3 times. I don't like the last flight they changed me to so I called. The airline help desk said they changed my flight this time because the flight I had was a shared flight with Northwest and they couldn't book me on that one. They told me there were no other flights leaving Orlanda to Tulsa after 1:55 p.m. I contacted WDW Guest Relations and they said there was nothing they could do to help me. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!!!!
    I am afraid the news isn't good. Airlines have every right to charge a change fee on a non-refundable ticket. $100 per ticket isn't even that steep of a fee. If you make a big enough stink about it with the airline's corporate offices, they might do something to appease you, but it would probably be at their discretion, and only as a gesture of goodwill to keep you happy. Your best bet would probably be a thoughtful, calm, reasonable letter stating exactly what you want, and why you think they should give it to you. In your case, I would focus on the multiple changes to your itinerary.

Just say something like you understand the change policy and don't have a policy, but that the flight on which you are currently booked conflicts with your travel plans, and that in light of the fact that the airline has changed your itinerary and this is not the flight you booked when you accepted the change policy, you are requesting a waiver of the change fee. Try to think of it from their point of view. The only motivation they could possibly have to accommodate you is to keep you happy. So make sure that the tone of your letter reflects the fact that you are not happy, but leaves open the hope that you can be made happy if they make this one little concession.

I think it's a long shot, but in my opinion this is your best shot at getting some kind of satisfactory accommodation. If you don't have time to get it resolved before your trip, and you don't mind taking the gamble, you could always pay the change fee and try to get it refunded after the fact. It could take a couple of months to exhaust the process of sending your request higher and higher up the chain.

Anyway, good luck.

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Northwest has a flight leaving at 3:35 thru Detroit... Other airlines have them as late as 6pm.

I'm not sure what you meant about "sharing a flight" on NW or why that wouldn't work, or who they book through, but I'd try to find out which airline you are on and contact them directly and see if they had the schedule change, as opposed to Disney swapping airlines or something. If it was an airline schedule change, most of the time they'll change it for free.

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by tharmscott View Post
    This is rather confusing.... maybe a little more info would help.
    You said you booked this trip with the WDW Travel people - 407-WDISNEY (The Walt Disney Travel Company)? Did they book the flights for you, or did you book the flights directly with the airline?

If it was with The Walt Disney Travel Company, then their agents should be able to help. Call them back, not WDW Guest Relations.

If it was with the airline directly, you'll have to deal with them directly. Ask politely to speak with a supervisor until you get someone who can help.

Changing the arriving flight because you found a flight you like better is almost guaranteed to incure a fee. But the departing flight you should have a strong enough argument for them to make changes at no charge to you.

Good luck!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

tharmscott is offline A-Ticket holder
    I did book the flights through WDW and I called them first. They are the ones that said I couldn't change. They said it was a shared flight. Evidently the flight they booked me on is actually a Northwest flight. They booked me on that flight about a month ago because they had changed my flight and had me leaving Orlanda around 7 and arriving in Cinncinati around 9:30 and leaving Cinncinati at 4 something. I called and they offerred me one around 4 or around 6. Now they say they can't book me on the 4 o'clock flight (the shared one) and they have no flights leaving Orlando after 1:55. When you do a search on Delta's website, it shows the 4 and 6 flight. Although I want the earlier flight for arrival, I have no problem with it or with them saying I had to pay a fee to change. I've probably got everyone even more confused now. I get kinda wordy as you can see.