Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Magical Express ?'s in the Vacation Planning forums; 1. How long does it generally take you to get from the airport to the hotels.....I'm landing at 11:00 How long till I can be in the parks 2. If ...
    princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder

Magical Express ?'s

1. How long does it generally take you to get from the airport to the hotels.....I'm landing at 11:00 How long till I can be in the parks

2. If our flight is leaving at 8:50 what time will the ME leave to take us back to the airport? We won't have to leave at like 12:00 will we?
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    Usually itt takes about 20-30 mins to get off the plane to ME and on the bus, then another 30-60 to the resort. Check-in depends on the day and resort. For the return trip, I think they usually allow 2.5-3 hours for your departure time. Some airlines you can check in at the resort, others you still use the ME and then check-in as you normally would once you get to the airport. A quick hint if you do check in at your resort... reprint boarding passes at the airport (you can usually do this for most airlines at a free-standing kiosk with no wait. It will help you alot during boarding.)

Here's a great FAQ site: Walt Disney World Resort - Detecting Browser Properties . . .

TestSherpa is offline D-Ticket Holder
    That's great advice, satijp. I know that I usually fly United and I can check in. Even if the resort doesn't have a kiosk, you could use the business center to go online and print out the boarding passes the night before.

Unfortunately, even though the airport isn't too far away, it takes a while. You have to get your luggage, wait for the ride, ride to the resort, check in, get to the park you want to go to, buy tix (which you can do at the hotels), stand in line... it takes longer than you'd think.
    M
    Founder of TestSherpa LSAT Test Preparation
    The LSAT is not as fun as the Haunted Mansion, but just as scary.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    With ME you don't have to wait for your bags if you use the yellow luggage tags disney sends you. We has great luck with ME in March we disn't have to wait in the line for our resort at all. We walked into the POR line and were put right on the bus that left within about 2 minutes. Off to POFQ and then POR. Our return ressie for ME was about 3.5 hours before our 2 pm flight. Got to the airport checked our luggage and ate lunch in the food court at MCO. It was not the usual over priced airport food either. Chikfil-a --only a little more than usual.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by princessariel View Post
    1. How long does it generally take you to get from the airport to the hotels.....I'm landing at 11:00 How long till I can be in the parks

2. If our flight is leaving at 8:50 what time will the ME leave to take us back to the airport? We won't have to leave at like 12:00 will we?
    1) The average reported time from exiting the airplane to arriving at your resort is 70 minutes. So if your 11 a.m. flight arrives on-time, expect to be at your resort by 12 or 12:30 p.m. I've used DME twice, and times it both times. Forst time it was 63 minutes airplane to CBR, second time it was 56 minutes airplane to POFQ.

How long it will take you to get to a park depends on a few variables. Do you want to get into your room if it's ready, or do you just want to dump off your carry-ons with Bell Services and run for the nearest bus stop? Do you already have tickets or are you buying them as part of a package? If you don't want to try getting into your room, and if you already have tickets, you can just go right to the bus stop. Buses run about every 20 minutes, so if you just missed one for the park you're going to, you'll wait about 20 minutes, and then the on-the-road time from your resort to a park depends on the resort and the park. Depending on where yiu are, you might be able to walk to a park or take a monorail or boat, as well, so there's no way for me to give you a standard amount of time.

Make sure you pack for your immediate needs in your carry-ons. If you put a DME luggage tag on each piece of checked luggage, you won't have immediate access to it. It will be delivered to the inside of your resort room by about 3 hours after you arrive at the resort, and it will be brought inside your room whether you are in there or not.

2) DME bus pick-ups are scheduled to be about 2.75-to-3 hours prior to flight departure (4 hours for international flights). SO for an 8:50 p.m. flight, chances are your DME pick-up will be around 6:00 p.m. Each resort has 2 pick-ups per hour (if there are reservations for pick-ups) scheduled 30 minutes apart, such as :00 and :30 after every hour, or :10 and :40 after every hour, etc.

If you are flying one of the airlines that is a "participating airline" with Resort Airline Check-in, then you can dispose of your checked luggage earlier in the day. RAC is basically curbside check-in, but is offered in the lobby of each WDW owned-and-operated resort rather than at the curbside at the airport. People eligible to use RAC can check-in for their flight, get their boarding passes, and check their checked luggage through to their final destination (just like curbside check-in at the airport). The RAC desk is open from 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., and you can't check your luggage in any later than 3 hours prior to scheduled flight departure. You can store your carry-ons with Bell Services, and then get them back before you board the DME bus.

If you aren't eligible to use RAC, you can store all of your bags with Bell Services, go out and play, and then get them back when you return to your resort and prepare for the DME bus ride back to the airport. You will take your bags to the DME driver, who will store them under the bus and return then to you when you get to the airport. Once there, bring your bags to your airline's ticket counter or curbside check-in, just like you'd do if you got dropped off at any other airport.

Please post again if you ahve any other DME questions. Maybe I just need a hobby or need to hug my kids more often or something, but I've become a "student" of DME, having gathered mucho info on it from other guests as well as from Disney cast members and subcontractor employees.
    -- Eric

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by TestSherpa View Post
    Unfortunately, even though the airport isn't too far away, it takes a while. You have to get your luggage, wait for the ride, ride to the resort, check in, get to the park you want to go to, buy tix (which you can do at the hotels), stand in line... it takes longer than you'd think.
    Things have changed since you were last at WDW. If you are staying at a WDW owned-and-operated resort you are eligible for Disney's Magical Express, a complimentary service that includes round-trip motorcoach transfers between MCO and your WDW resort, plus automatic luggage delivery -- you check it with your airline at your home airport, then the next time you see it it's inside your resort room, and Disney even takes care of the tip for the Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CM. Also, if you book a package you get your tickets as part of the check-in process, encoded onto your room key, so there's no separate line for that. And even if you booked a room-only reservation, you can still pre-arrange the purchase of your tickets at time of check-in, so again, no separate line or wait for tickets.

Signed,

Former LSAT proctor
    -- Eric

ungis is offline E-Ticket Holder
    We used DME on our last visit to WDW in December 2006. We waited around 25-30 min for our bus to take us to CB and it was about a 25 min ride to the resort. There was a lot of people checking in at the same time as us, but I think it is a good perk that Disney is giving their resort guests. I would highly recommend using this service, that way you don't have to pay extra for a shuttle or taxi service to your resort.

For the luggage, you can either put the yellow tags that come with your vacation package or not put them on and pick up your luggage yourself at the airport and take them on the bus with you. This last point I would suggest you doing because of the experience I had regarding the luggage. Our luggage arrived at our room about 8 hours after we landed at MCO, which for me was a very long wait. But if you don't care too much about the time your luggage gets to your room, go for the checking of the bags with the yellow tags and walk right off the plane and don't worry about baggage claim.
    Can't wait to go back !!!
    First WDW trip June, 1996 - Lots of Disneyland trips in between -Last WDW trip December, 2006
    WDW College Program Alumni - Fall 2001
    Hello to all Disney fans !!!

How often do the busses leave for the resorts? Does it depend on where you're staying? For example, if you are staying at SSR are you going to get there faster than if you are staying at Pop? Also, how much of a pain is it to use only one way?

I was thinking about using ME on this next trip but I guess I'm not totally sold on it yet. I like to get off the plane, get my luggage and get to where I want to go FAST. After all, it is Disney. Need to get that Dole Whip!!

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Thanks y'all!! It looks like I won't have to wait too long to be at the parks! Plus I get a long time to be at the parks that last day!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by lorilovestigger View Post
    How often do the busses leave for the resorts? Does it depend on where you're staying? For example, if you are staying at SSR are you going to get there faster than if you are staying at Pop? Also, how much of a pain is it to use only one way?

I was thinking about using ME on this next trip but I guess I'm not totally sold on it yet. I like to get off the plane, get my luggage and get to where I want to go FAST. After all, it is Disney. Need to get that Dole Whip!!
    Supposedly, since Disney/ME has everyone's flight info and hotels, they can schedule the buses to match demand, so the wait should not be too long. You can use it one way, but how would you go the other way?

I'm trying it out for the first time next month, not entirely sold on it either but need to save a few dollars and no real need for a car. Have to pack before I can decide how to handle the luggage.

The one thing I found annoying is that even though I gave them my flight info when I made my reservation AND I called to confirm it, I STILL got the ME packet with "no flight information provided" printed on it. Grrrr. Called ME directly and they said something about if you give the info to Disney more than 45 days in advance, it doesn't get sent to ME (which seems really dumb).
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

I gave them my info more than 45 days in advance and got all our info a few weeks ago with the flight #'s
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    I suspect it was something they just said to placate the annoyed caller. That or they just don't like me - twice before I've signed up for ME, gotten the booklets with "no flight info" and changed my mind and rented a car instead.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

I'm totally sure of that as well.....I got the run around on dining reservations once. They told me I couldn't book two sit downs in the same day. I called back 10 min later and I could

go figure!
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

I've been thinking town car when we arrive and ME on the way home. I hate the thought that they take my luggage and I don't see it until we get to the airport. I usually do last minute shopping and need to rearrange my luggage.

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    were driving it.. AUGH! 13 hours!! hubby hates to fly... your so me very lucky pees!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast