Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Driving from NY to WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone else done it? How did you plan your drive? How long did it take and how much did you spend in gas? Thanks!...
    JJLRo is offline A-Ticket holder

Driving from NY to WDW

Has anyone else done it? How did you plan your drive? How long did it take and how much did you spend in gas?

Thanks!
    Jessica
    Wife to John
    Mom to Levi (9.19.06)

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    to DWT, Jessica!
    I'm also from NY, but I always fly, usually Southwest airlines out of Islip MacArthur airport. The furthest I've driven is to North Carolina.

I can recommend a great book: Drive I-95 by Stan Posner and Sandra Phillips-Posner (Amazon.com: Drive I-95: Exit by Exit Info, Maps, History and Trivia: Books: Stan Posner,Sandra Phillips-Posner) It has exit-by-exit information that is really helpful and fun. We used it on the NY to NC drive, and then my Sister-in-law took it from NC to FL and also found it very helpful.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

JJLRo is offline A-Ticket holder
    Thank you and thank you! I will have to check out the book! Driving from NY to WDW with a 2 year old......I can't imagine how many things could go wrong, lol.
    Jessica
    Wife to John
    Mom to Levi (9.19.06)

Kellie19891992 is offline Annual Passholder
    From Buffalo, NY it takes about 1 1/2 days if you stop 24 hours if you don't stop

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I'm from Northwest Indiana, not New York, but my family has driven to Disney 3 times. From the post above, it looks like it takes relatively the same amount of time to get there from both places. The last time we drove was in Sept. of '06 and my dad said it cost a little under $300 in gas to get there, but our van is a big gas guzzler. It takes us about 21 hours to get there and we usually drive straight through. I don't know how easy that would be for you with a two year old, but if you can do it, I would say go for it. The sooner you can get to Disney the better! When we would go when my sister and I were younger, my parents would pick us up from school in the afternoon and we'd head straight out to Disney from there. It was a really good time to leave because we stayed up in the car for a couple of hours goofing off, listening to music, eating, getting REALLY extcited (lol), etc., and after all that it was bedtime for us. We would sleep the whole night through and then when we woke up in the morning it would only be a few more hours until we got there. My family has a knack for getting lost in Orlando right before we get to Disney on every single trip...try to avoid this as best as you can because there are some not-so-good neighborhoods in that area that we somehow always end up in...lol. Have a great trip, I'm sure you will all love it!!!
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Im not from NY but we always drive to WDW. With a two year old make sure he has a little break to walk around a little to burn some energy. lol. Have a great trip!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Welcome to DWT. We have driven to WDW twice, our dd was 8 the first time. She was used to long trips in the car to visit her great grandmother in Vermont. Delaware is alot closer than NY so you might come up with a back up plan in case the little one needs a break from the car. This year we are planning on driving again. The dd is now 21, maybe she can help with the drive? or not;lol.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I drive from my home in FL, about an hour East of WDW, to central NJ at least once a year. The trip is 1100 miles almost exactly, and takes roughly 18 hours to complete (we usually do it in one shot).

We usually fill up about three times in a one-way trip (so four tanks, since we start out with a full tank). Based on a roughly $3 price this year, that made for around $180 in gas one way.

As far as planning, I'm not sure how much planning you can really do. We know the route well, and have a good idea of how long it takes, so we just pack the car and drive.

I can tell you that where you have the opportunity (IE around Richmond VA, and Jacksonville, FL), taking the bypass road (I-295 in both cases) is generally a good idea.

I can also tell you that there is no bypass road around Washington DC -- or more specifically, the bypass (IE the beltway) around DC is at least as bad traffic-wise as I-95 going right through the center of any other city along the route. Your only hope for avoiding traffic around the DC area is to time it well. The problem with timing it is that the evening rush hour there begins around 3PM. Hard as we try, we almost always seem to find ourselves hitting DC at rush hour one way or the other.

Also, this may be obvious, but don't take that 18 hour figure as gospel or anything. It has been fairly consistent for us over the past 8 years or so, but it is completely possible for there to be traffic that keeps you stationary or at under 5MPH for an hour or more, sometimes due to weather or an accident, and sometimes for no discernible reason at all. (This seems to happen to us mostly in SC, for some reason). We always keep maps with us of each state we drive through, and if we hit one of these backups, we'll usually use the maps to plot a route off of I-95 for a while to try to get around the jam. I'm not convinced that it has ever saved us any time, but it can be kind of fun to break the monotony of I-95 and change the scenery for a little while, especially if you happen to be in a rural area.

Let me know if there's anything else you want to know.

Tony

vixen101485 is offline Queen of the Swaps, bow before me
    We drive from eastern/central PA down. Mapquest "SAYS" it takes 17 hours from my house but I would presume that is a no stopping to even gas up or go potty run.

We did go down in 05 with a 2.5 yr old. Not potty trained at the time so stops for changes(she went a while) and lots of stops for just getting out to run around for a bit since it was her first big long car ride. It took us about 28 hours. We napped at rest stops.

This past trip she was 4.5 and what a difference! We did it in about 23 hours (have to sleep at some point since the BF was doing most of the driving)

Gas cost for us averages about $300 at about $3 a gallon. We get point reward cards from our bank so that helps and gas up at the grocery store (more points redeemed) so we start out cheap anyway.

We also go different way then you would but I still enjoy the drive for the fact you get to see so much of the country. Go, have fun, and enjoy the fact that little ones nap longer and cant verbalize "ARE WE THERE YET" as much.
    It's a Disney thing. If you understood, your only question would be "can I go?"

TRICK OR TREAT FOR UNICEF
    FOR MORE INFO CLICK THIS LINK http://inside.unicefusa.org/goto/Meghyn