Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Transportation Discuss Orlando Security Nightmare realized in the Vacation Planning forums; Orlando security really wound me up when we travelled home on August 20th! Despite the fact we need to travel with two laptops we always manage to zip through with ...
    Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Angry

Orlando security really wound me up when we travelled home on August 20th!

Despite the fact we need to travel with two laptops we always manage to zip through with the minimum of fuss ie computers out, shoes & jackets off, cosmetics in clear bag out etc.

So this time the family in front mess about with their stuff for ages and the TSA operative decides to take out her frustration on us by literally throwing my husband's brand new $4000 laptop. Fortunately it survived unscathed but I'm sure she wouldn't have wanted to pay for a replacement had she broken it!

I like to stand up for myself and I really wanted to complain but decided discretion was the better part of valor as I'd rather not be arrested. However, it's just not right that these officials are a law unto themselves......seethe!

Skadar2 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Coming home from WDW last week, I thought the new security lines were fantastic. We utilized the family line and felt like we weren't inconveniencing hurried single passenger travelers as we normally would.

So far, this appears to be a well-implemented considerate design decision.

StarsNStripes is offline 40th was amazing!
    I love the idea. It kills me how many people show up to the airport with their entire jewelry box on. Count me an expert. I've done the plane thing for forever. Flip flops, jewelry free.

I wonder what line they want the surgically implanted metal plate people in. hehe
    I'm about as All-American as they come!
    *Natalie*
    Must get a new trip on the books! I'm dyin' here!

DisneyMommy777 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Orlando Security Nightmare realized

Hi! First reply here, so excited!
    I noticed most of the responses are from '08- but maybe y'all can still help me out? We are traveling in May of this year and our home airport installed the big body scanners within the last year.
    Has anyone else had to go through this procedure? (If I have too, I'm opting for the pat down.) Also, the TSA site states that if a family is traveling with LO's they won't be subjected to these scans (in order to keep the family together)- has anyone ever experienced this while their LO was with them? (Ours will turn two during our vaca.)
    Thank you so much for your responses!
    Fill life with joy, laughter, happy times, and experiences! Don't listen to the negative, the argumentative, or the bullies. Life is experience and triumph!- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder

We travel a fair amount and our "home" airport, BWI, also has them. We travel with our two kids and my husband's Seeing Eye Dog. We have never had to go through the scanners. I won't let the kids do them and the option for me has never come up because of the kids. My husband has had a "pat down" but it has been nothing "bad" or newsworthy. They tend to scrutanize him a little more because the metal on the dog's collar and harness set off the metal detector. They pat the dog down too. (I have heard stories of getting male screeners because of male dogs lol). Hopefully you won't experience any horror stories.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

DisneyMommy777 is offline A-Ticket holder

Thank you so much! (: (:
    We went through last September, and I learned a lot, but wanted to make sure J.I.C.
    Congrats on your Milestone Birthday Trip. When are ya'll going?
    Fill life with joy, laughter, happy times, and experiences! Don't listen to the negative, the argumentative, or the bullies. Life is experience and triumph!- don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

ohiodisneydad is offline Hi, my name is David and I like Beverly.

This post interests me too. The wife and I are flying for the first time EVER in April to celebrate our 15th Anniversary in WDW. The anxiety of flying is bad enough without worrying about a line and we only have 6 days total so driving is out of the question.
    "Life is an occassion. Rise to it."- Mr. Magorium
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by ohiodisneydad View Post
    This post interests me too. The wife and I are flying for the first time EVER in April to celebrate our 15th Anniversary in WDW. The anxiety of flying is bad enough without worrying about a line and we only have 6 days total so driving is out of the question.
    Actually this has gotten much better since my original post way back when. Problem with older threads. I guess this depends on also WHEN in April you are going to the World. My son has done Security MCO twice in the last four months, both times in off season and has gone much better.

Make it easier on yourself. Have all things metal ready to go in your bin, have shoes that can easily be taken off (wear socks), take off the belt and make sure your liquids are in that quart sized zip locked bag ready to put in the bin out of your carry on. Having your drivers licence and boarding pass in hand you are set. By going through the the non expert lane, it more forgiving. If you are carrying a laptop, IPad etc., they need to go in a separate bin.

The one thing we do do is go through security a few people spread out. One goes through and then the second follows though a few people later.
    What we have learned is that if one or the other sets off the walk through, the other member can keep an eye on the carry-ons of both of ours.

Which airport are you departing from?
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 02-12-2012 at 12:54 AM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Columbus or Dayton
    "Welcome Home"- Best words you'll ever hear when you check in at a Disney Resort

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I used the "expert" line in December. It wasn't that much faster. It still depends on who is going through and how fast it moves. The expert line looked short until you realized that is was the one ALL the way at the end of the security section. Then about halfway to the LAST conveyer belt, they melted us into the "general" line. Maybe the general line snaked a bit more.

But over all, not a horrible experience and it was fairly quick for Orlando security.

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

When I go through security, which is fairly frequently compared to most people, I use the system that George Clooney's character in Up In The Air uses. Look at the lines and see who is in front of you. If they have a stroller, don't use that line; strollers don't collapse in less than 20 minutes. Don't get behind old people because "they don't seem to appreciate what little time they have left". Look for people with slip-on shoes and that have single bags. They know how to travel. Conversely, that is how you should travel.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by WDW4Ever View Post
    When I go through security, which is fairly frequently compared to most people, I use the system that George Clooney's character in Up In The Air uses. Look at the lines and see who is in front of you. If they have a stroller, don't use that line; strollers don't collapse in less than 20 minutes. Don't get behind old people because "they don't seem to appreciate what little time they have left". Look for people with slip-on shoes and that have single bags. They know how to travel. Conversely, that is how you should travel.
    I agree. Good plan.

Well the tickets we will be buying are Southwest Airlines "Get Away Quick" tickets. They only allow you one bag. I'm not even certain that you get a carry on. I will have to check that one. I'll have to check it out. I'll make certain that we are wearing sandals or slip one shoes. I'll also keep an eye out on the people in line. I never thought about the strollers and old folks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12