Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Orlando Security Nightmare realized in the Vacation Planning forums; While we discussed this in theory months ago, our worst fears seemed to have come true at Orlando earlier this month when TSA implemented the plan to have specific security ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Orlando Security Nightmare realized

While we discussed this in theory months ago, our worst fears seemed to have come true at Orlando earlier this month when TSA implemented the plan to have specific security lanes for seasoned travelers, moderate experienced and families/special needs.

From All Ears:...

from Sarah, responding to a report in last week's issue
    about a new test program at the Orlando airport where you can
    select your security lane based on specific criteria: Just
    wanted to let you know when we went home on August 9 we weren't
    allowed to select what line to go into. They were only allowing
    families with small children and elderly if they wanted to go in
    the one line, which meant those lines were empty and the rest
    were backing up into a mobbed mess.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    This was in place when we left Orlando on July 2nd and it was one of the smoothest and quickest trips through security I've had since the Homeland Security implemented all the new security procedures.

My wife and I went through the expert line. I felt that since I'm a road warrior for work, I could easily tell my wife what she needed to do to qualify as an "expert" traveler...LOL
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I think I would consider myself expert too, what sort of things makes one an expert as far as the TSA is concerned?

We weren't asked any questions. They had a little placard that explained each "type" of traveler. But, if I remember correctly, the "expert" line had an icon that gave the impression that experts were "business travelers". It think it was a little man with a briefcase
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder
    Yeah it was, on my trip 2 days ago, there was so much traffic in the families line, they had to (sour faces) let people go into the other lines (expert).
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

They are using this same procedure at Houston Hobby. If I observed correctly, they had more security lines for the "families" and only had one security line for the experts
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

DisneyDreamer13 is offline A good friend gets you out of jail, a great friend wakes up next to you!
    6,976km from Cinderella Castle / 408km from Sleeping Beauty Castle
    Compared to most UK airports that sounds well organised and logical.
    x FIONA x
    1989 WDW Offsite1990 WDWOffsite1991Offsite/Contemporary1992 EuroDisney Offsite(schooltrip)
    1992 WDW Offsite/GrandFloridian2001 DLP Davy CrocketRanch2008 Offsite villa/Contempoary
    2009DLP Hotel Santa Fe 2010Clearwater/get married/POR
    Sisterhood of the travelling pirate in the pants

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I don't travel for work but I often travel solo, I plan my footwear accordingly and usually can throw everything in the scanner bins at record speed, including taking the laptop out of the bag, then throw everything back on and pack everything up, someone should time me, ha ha! Even if nobody is behind me, I hurry and get out of the way as quick as I can.

Keasmom is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Sounds great in theory. My family would be expert class, DD knows the security drill better then most adults. We, also, can do the shoes, etc in record time. If they get this going at every airport, are we still safe? Seems there might be a false sense of security or a more relaxed standard which would allow "things" to get overlooked. As long as everything gets screened, bless them if they are making it easier for some.
    P.U.S.H.-A mantra MOST will not understand.

Disney rocks, Walt was a genius.

Keasmom,

If I'm remembering an article from USA Today correctly, these changes are directed toward business travelers who are the bread and butter of the airlines.

They want to keep them happy. They could care less about the casual or leisure traveler
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

cjborne2 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    My kids too are expert travelers to the point where they've asked if they need to take off their shoes to go through any other metal detectors. Even DH's guide dog is becoming an airport security pro. We traveled through the Orlando airport in June and I thought that it was the most chaotic security we had been through.
    Law School Family Reward Trip August 2005

Land-Sea-Land Vacation June 2008

Disney Wonder cruise to Alaska June 2011

My Milestone Birthday Trip April 2012

allie cat is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Huh?
    Who would willingly go into the longest, slowest line. Color me expert.
    Orlando Airport is always a bit of a buzzkill before and after Disney. I think the employees there could use a little Disney training, or at least they could stop hauling my underwear out of my bag for everyone to see. Lol

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    We used this last night, through the family line, and it moved very quickly. Two stations checking ID/Boarding pass, and a person directing groups to the shortest scanner lines. No hassle at all. This was at the security check point to the Southwest/Jet Blue gates, which in the past has been backed up half way across the atrium.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    I went through the intermediary line (not family, not business-class expert) when I left MCO two weekends ago. The elderly couple in front of me was pretty clearly not used to flying. She walked through the metal detectors A) with her shoes on, and B) with very large metal earings, braclets, and rings. Then when here husband yelled at her for slowing everything down, she STOOD there, in the metal detector - not to take the jewlery and shoes off, but to yell back at her husband.

The line itself was absurdly short. But that one couple caused about a five minute delay all by them selves. Fortunately, since I took DME, I had plenty of time and was more amused than annoyed. I could hear them still yelling at each other even when I got up to the monorail and they were still back at security putting her shoes and jewlery back on.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    I went through security wearing my suit of armor. What a nightmare! Like I could hi-jack a plane with my pike; come on people. I checked my broadsword and mace but nothing pleases TSA!!! I'll rent a car next time.
    Hey mrtitty! Long time no see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast