Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Transportation Discuss Question about the Magical Express in the Vacation Planning forums; I just have a quick question about the Magical Express. Is it possible to collect your own luggage, instead of Disney collecting it, and still take the ME? Or do ...
    LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

Question about the Magical Express

I just have a quick question about the Magical Express. Is it possible to collect your own luggage, instead of Disney collecting it, and still take the ME? Or do you absolutely have to let them collect it?
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

You can collect it yourself before boarding the bus if you'd like.

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    Just remember that there isn't a whole lot of room to put your luggage if you are taking big luggage. They have overhead storage bins about the size of airplane storage bins.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

zeusywoo is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Yes, you can pick it up & take it to the bus. Our airline is not part of the Magical Express so we will have to do that. They will put it under the bus & then you can take it or they will take it to your room. We let them take it to the room as the rooms are not always ready when you arrive.
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14
    Have a Magical Day! Deck 7 Cool Kids Dar

lobaugo is offline B-Ticket Holder
    The driver will also put your bigger luggage underneath the bus. I have never done this, but I have seen ppl do it before.

I hope this helps!

Yes, thank you all for responding, all of these answers helped immensly!
    See, I asked the question originally because Im going down to Disney for a week in May with my friend Lauren. Its going to be just the two of us, and we're only 19. Im paranoid of losing my luggage everytime i get on a plane, and getting off the plane and not knowing if my luggage got there scares me. Som At first, we were just going to take Mears or something to the resort so we could get our luggage ourselves and id be calmer, lol. But now that im thinking about it, i feel like its just smarter to take the ME to the resort. First of all, its free, so that would save us money right there. So i was just curious as to if i would be able to get my own luggage, and still take the ME to the resort and save money. Im happy now knowing that i am able to do that.
    Still, about me being paranoid about my luggage, i mean if you put those bright yellow tags on your suitcase that say DISNEY'S MAGICAL EXPRESS on it, the airport CLEARLY can see that it is going to Orlando, so it would get there eventually, haha.
    Thanks everyone for helping!!!!!
    ~Lisa~

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder
    Remember to NOT put on the ME luggage tags and your all set. Just pick up your luggage and check in at ME counter. Also if your room is not ready, you can store it at Bell Services and then have them deliver it while your at the park or you can pick them up and bring them yourself when you get back. You can leave the front desk your cell number and they call you when your room is ready. This happened to us at Saratoga and worked flawless.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by zeusywoo View Post
    Our airline is not part of the Magical Express so we will have to do that.
    I'm very happy to tell you that you're WRONG!

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the automatic baggage delivery to the inside of their resort room. EVERY GUEST. EVERY AIRLINE. NO EXCEPTIONS.

The only thing that airline matters for is for the way home. On the way home, only people flying on "participating airlines" can use Resort Airline Check-in to check-in for their departing flights and check their luggage through to their home airport.

So remember, EVERYONE flying into Orlando International Airport can skip baggage claim and have their luggage magically delivered to the inside of their room at their Disney owned-and-operated resort. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    -- Eric

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by LisaAnn View Post
    I just have a quick question about the Magical Express. Is it possible to collect your own luggage, instead of Disney collecting it, and still take the ME? Or do you absolutely have to let them collect it?
    Yes, you are permitted to grab your own bags. As you were already advised, MAKE SURE you don't put the yellow DME luggage tags on your bags, because if you do that, you won't have the option of picking up your own bags at baggage claim. DME-tagged bags are pulled from the rest of the luggage before any luggage makes it out to the baggage claim carousels.

May I ask WHY you want to handle your own bags?

If you're concerned about Disney losing the bags, there's really no basis for such concerns ... the AIRLINES are MUCH better at misplacing luggage! While no system in 100% perfect, there are no widespread luggage problems with DME, which has been in operation for more than 3.5 years.

DME tags have barcodes. These barcodes are scanned 5 separate times between airplane and resort room. The luggage delivery trucks are tracked by GPS. Disney knows where your bags are at all times.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you choose to claim your own bags, you are very likely delaying your own arrival at your resort (in case that matters to you). In the time it takes you to detour to baggage claim, wait for your bags, and then drag them across the airport to the DME counter, it's very likely that you missed the first available bus to your resort and you'll have to wait for the next one.

I've read many people who said they don't want to wait around for DME to deliver their bags. DME bags are delivered to the inside of your room whether you're in there or not, so there's no need to sit around and wait.

I've read many people who said they need some things immediately and therefore don't want to wait up to thee hours from the time they check-in at their resort for their bags to be delivered. To those folks, I strongly suggest that they pack for their immediate needs in their carry-ons, just in case the AIRLINE delays their bags. They should NEVER pack importnat or immediately-needed items in checked bags ... never, under any circumstances.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
    -- Eric

Quote Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
    I'm very happy to tell you that you're WRONG!

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the automatic baggage delivery to the inside of their resort room. EVERY GUEST. EVERY AIRLINE. NO EXCEPTIONS.

The only thing that airline matters for is for the way home. On the way home, only people flying on "participating airlines" can use Resort Airline Check-in to check-in for their departing flights and check their luggage through to their home airport.

So remember, EVERYONE flying into Orlando International Airport can skip baggage claim and have their luggage magically delivered to the inside of their room at their Disney owned-and-operated resort. NO EXCEPTIONS.
    Thank you so much that will make my arrival much easier. I do remember having to take my luggage back to the airport. Oct. 06 I didn't touch my luggage at all, so I must have taken a participating airline. All went well I have to say. If you hear of the other airlines participating can you let us know. I do keep up, but you may find out sooner. Thanks
    1st MK Oct. '80, DL '90, CBR '98, VB & WLV '01, BCV Jun '06, SSR Oct '06, POR Jun '09, BCR Feb '11 & POFQ Mar '11, AKLJ Jul '11 BLT Nov '12 BWRV Nov '12 BWRV Aug '14 BCV Sept '14

Thank you all so much for responding to my question and giving me very helpful answers.
    The reason that I asked about whether i could handle my own bags is simply because our flight gets into Orlando kind of late, and I just didnt want to have to wait for my bags. I think that we still just use the DME the right way, and let them take our bags. I was just curious if i had the option of doing it myself if need be. Thanks a lot!!!
    ~Lisa~

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder
    CleveRocks is absolutely right about the ease of DME use as well as the fact that the airlines are much more likely to lose your luggage. If you are arriving late just take what you need in your carry-on so you have your essentials and what you need for the next day. You will absolutely delay yourself if you handle your bags yourself.

Glad to hear that you are going to put your trust in DME and let them handle the bags. It is really nice to be hands free off the plane and at the resort. Plus, when you check in verify if your airline lets Disney take your bags to the airport for you on the return home. Again, it is extremely nice to not have to worry about or handle your bags.

Have a wonderful trip!

We officially made our reservations for the DME. Im actually really excited jsut to get to go on the bus, lol
    ~Lisa~

It will be a wonderful fun experience. We loved it.