Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Disney's Magical Express in the Vacation Planning forums; I would recamend maybe having a swimsuit in carry on bag so if you get to your resort and feel like jumping in the pool you can. Everyone talking how ...
    Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I would recamend maybe having a swimsuit in carry on bag so if you get to your resort and feel like jumping in the pool you can. Everyone talking how good DME is, and it is a great service, but I'm not seeing in here that sometimes you might not get luggage untill a couple hours after you arrive. So I would make sure that a swimsuit, maybe a good pair of walking shoes or anything important that you might need right away you carry in a small carry on. That's what I do when I take MDE, so there's no waiting for it in my luggage.

dsnyqwn1 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Disney's Magical Express

Anyonw know when you should be getting your DME tags prior to your vacation?

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by dsnyqwn1 View Post
    Anyonw know when you should be getting your DME tags prior to your vacation?
    Approximately two weeks prior to your departure date.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ok thanks. so we should get them next week sometime.

ms_minnie is offline A-Ticket holder

I just want to chime in that I've never had a bad experience with DME and recommend it to everyone. The ride to Disney with the on-bus film is starting to become part of the "experience" that we look forward to so much!

Disney Bride to the Wonderful Soarin' Puddy

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

yes you can get your own bags and look for van's that will take you to the hotels. van hold about 11 people.
    J&J

DebšošS is offline There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday!
    1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home" resort Boardwalk Villas

DME has turned into part of the magic for us as well. We used to use a towncar but not anymore. I look forward to DME as a jump start on the magic

Got a call from out AAA travel agent and went to go pick up our DME tags and Diamond card. Now i really am getting excited.

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have to second what a lot of folks said - we've used ME several times w/no real problems. It is true that you may go through a few stops before your resort, but that is only an extra few minutes.

That said, I find the busses make some interesting people watching. We take early flights to maximize the 1st day. Everyone getting on that bus @ 10am was up, like us, around 3am to make their flights & I've seen some pretty big melt downs from tired, cranky, hungry people (kids & adults both)!

Plan your carry on bag well, your bags will lag a few hours behind. If you arrive early (like us), bring pool or park clothes as appropriate. Or if you arrive late bring your toothbrush, PJ's and morning clothes. That way they can hold your bag @ bell services instead of waking you up w/a midnight delivery.

Several folks mentioned town cars. If you are going to pay for the taxi, the town car or van is a better idea. Some (Quicksilver I think is one of them) include a store stop if you need it so you can grab water, snacks, etc. to keep in your room. Taxi is charging you for the time... so that could add up.

Another option is to rent a car. One of them (Enterprise maybe) can be picked up @ the airport & dropped off on property (at the Swan I think).

Down side of that is you have to handle your bags. I find there is something about tossing your bag on the belt when you get to the airport & not having to touch it again until it magically shows up in your room.
    Zima-Cheryl

Mel Got Served is offline A-Ticket holder

Couple questions about Magical Express:

-Do I have to check my luggage, or can I just bring my roll-on carry-on aboard the bus?

-How long do the buses take to get to the parks? My flight gets in at 11:30AM and we're stayed at Pop Century, hoping to get to Hollywood Studios ASAP so we can do as much as possible (including a 4pm dinner and Fantasmic at night)

Thanks!

zima-cheryl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Got Served View Post

-Do I have to check my luggage, or can I just bring my roll-on carry-on aboard the bus?

-How long do the buses take to get to the parks? My flight gets in at 11:30AM and we're stayed at Pop Century, hoping to get to Hollywood Studios ASAP so we can do as much as possible (including a 4pm dinner and Fantasmic at night)

Thanks!
    For carry on bags, the bus has an overhead, if I remember right, so smaller bags can go on the bus w/you. If your carry on is larger you can have the driver put under the bus you are riding on. Then when you get to the resort it will be there w/you. Bags you check w/the airline will lag behind your bus.

I've never stayed at Pop, so don't know exact travel times, but we always plan on 2 to 3 hours from airport to park. That allows travel time, checkin time, and time to travel to your park. If you get in @ 11:30am & dinner is @ 4p you should be fine to make your ADR, and maybe even get in a ride or 2 before (depending on the crowds).
    Zima-Cheryl

beja is offline C-Ticket Holder

Something to keep in mind when reading negative reviews about DME: consider the amount of people that use this service compared to the number of negative reviews. I've used it several times and have never had a complaint.

As for the amount of time it takes to reach your resort, I've had experiences of anywhere from 1 to 2.5 hours. Last year's trip had the longest wait. I'm thinking that due to the economy, Disney now waits for the buses to be full before they depart the airport, which results in several different resort stops. In the past, I've been on buses that left the airport with only a handfull of passengers and went to only one resort, which obviously resulted in a very quick trip.
    Oct 99 OS|May 00 OS|Dec 00 OS|Aug 03 OS|May 05 AS|Oct 06 CB|Nov 07 POFQ|Nov 08 POFQ|Nov 09 CS

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by beja View Post
    Last year's trip had the longest wait. I'm thinking that due to the economy, Disney now waits for the buses to be full before they depart the airport, which results in several different resort stops. In the past, I've been on buses that left the airport with only a handfull of passengers and went to only one resort, which obviously resulted in a very quick trip.
    It's not the economy, it's just the luck of the draw. Since Day One, DME was designed as a service where buses went to up to 4 resorts from the airport. It was NEVER conceived as a one-resort-per-bus service. If it happened that way on occasion, there must have been a reason for it, but that's not the way DME was designed.
    -- Eric

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder

Thanks!
    Are you talking about a carry-on bag or a bag you checked with your airline? If you're talking about a carry-on bag that you carried onto the airplane, then you wouldn't even have the option of sending that bag through DME's automatic luggage delivery service ... only bags checked with your airline can be put through DME's system. You will have to bring that bag to the bus with you.

If it's a standard roller bag, it weill be too big for the bus' overhead shelf, and probably too big to fit under your own seat, so the driver will need to stow it under the bus for you. You will get it back as soom as you arrive at your resort. It would be approrpiate to tip the driver for handling your bag. [The tip is included for the in-bound bellman service, for the bags you check with your airline that get delivered to your room by DME, but the DME bus driver is not pre-tipped by Disney.]

Just to clarify ...

You can't take a DME bus directly to a park. You'll be taken to Pop Century, and then from there you can take a Disney Transport bus to a park.

The average time from airplane exit to resort is 70 minutes. So let's say you land on-time at 11:30 and deplane by 11:40 a.m. Here is when my 70-minute clock starts running, when you deplane. But let's say it takes you 90 minutes, then you'll be at Pop at 1:10 p.m. It could take 20 minutes to check-in at the front desk (including waiting in line), so now it's 1:30 p.m. Let's say your room isn't ready yet. Luggage Assistance can store your carry-on for you. You can go right out to the bus stop. Disney Transport buses to each park run roughly eveery 20 minutes. So let's pretend a Disney's Hollywood Studios bus just left as you neared the bus stop. So you'll have a 20 minute wait and then a 5-8 minutes drive, so you're at the DHS entrance plaza by about 2:00 p.m.

Plenty of time for your 4:00 p.m. dinner ADR.
    -- Eric

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

Are there certain airlines that don't participate in this? I'm wondering particularly about Southwest Airlines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast