Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Transportation Discuss Disney's Magical Express in the Vacation Planning forums; We will be leaving for the world in a week, and this will be our first time staying on property. As we will be flying in, we have the option ...
    PulchraPuella is offline A-Ticket holder

Disney's Magical Express

We will be leaving for the world in a week, and this will be our first time staying on property. As we will be flying in, we have the option of using Disney's Magical Express, though, having read more than a few negative reviews, I wanted to know if there is way to skip this offer, pick up our own bags, and catch a taxi to the hotel. Can somebody tell me if this is possible?
    "Henry, he did it again! Go over and give that neighbor of ours what for!" -The Carousel of Progress

envypeterpan is offline Fastpass Holder
    It all depends on the time of day you arrive. If you arrive during the day I have had no problem with Disney's Magical Express. It's a lot easier and doesn't cost you any money. I've actually timed it the last few trips and the average wait has been roughly five minutes, with the last two being about a 30 second wait. If you are arriving at night it does take a little longer due to the fact that they don't have as many buses running. I would still go with the Magical Express over a taxi since it doesn't cost you anything, but if you do choose to go the taxi route there is nothing that forces you to actually take the Magical Express and you can opt for the taxi and just tell Disney you aren't using Magical Express.
    -Brent
    "It's the time of your life, so live it well" ~ a bug's life

I have a Disney book coming out in the first week of March. Stop by www.fromscreentotheme.com for more details!

elric is offline B-Ticket Holder

Disney's Magical Express

the movie they show on DME is well worth the bit of a wait you may have I would never give up my ride on DME it starts your Disney right a way not just when you get to your hotel. Hope the magic finds you well have a great time. Take notes for your trip report we can't wait to hear all about it.

I'm always planing that next trip 2002 - 1st family trip WDW off sight, 2005- Kids B-days WDW FTW cabins, 2006- My B-day MVMCP FTW cabins,2007- MNSSHP POR, 2008- MNSSHP CBR (free dinning), 2011- CBR (free dinning)

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    You are not required to take the Magical Express and may take a taxi if you prefer, but personally, I would recommend the Magical Express. Our experiences with it have been nothing but great and the fact that it is free is great incentive. We've never had to wait long for it and the movie they play gets you geared up for your vacation and makes the ride pass quickly.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

gailymouse is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We have used the Magical Express each time that we go to WDW and never had a problem. We also had very short wait times before leaving the airport. Bus ride was alot of fun as our driver was VERY funny - had everyone laughing during the ride from the airport

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I've used the Magical Express five time and the longest I had to wait for a buss was fifteen minutes. Usally mornings and afternoons they have at least two busses waiting. This could have changed with the economy the way it is? The only problem I ever had was where your resort is on property? Soemtimes it can be a few resort stops before you get to your resort, but I actually enjoy seeing what the other resorts look like. And you can opt out of taking ME for a taxi, but make sure if you do you know the rates going from the airport to your resort before you get in the taxi, I know it's not a cheap ride.

Serkazong is offline Keep to the code.
    I have used DME 4 times without a hitch. Wait times have been on par with what others have posted above.

My favorite part is looking out the window and seeing the other motorists looking up at the bus, maybe a little bit envious of us as we roll down the toll way toward WDW.

JLWilkes3RD is offline A-Ticket holder
    I used it in January of 2006 and it ran fine. Plus everyone on the bus is in a good mood and it's nice to share stories, tips, and tricks with other people on the bus. I highly recommend using the Magical Express.

I agree with elric the video definetely sets the mood.
    "You can't run away from trouble. There ain't no place that far."- Uncle Remus "Song of the South"

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head
    I really enjoy Magical Express. However, the last two trips to Orlando we didn't use it. We had rented a car one time and a van the other. It sure is nice not having to worry about traffic and where you are going. I also enjoy the movie.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    We went down Jan. 21 and got on a bus as soon as we got to the DME check-in. Our flight got in about 8:30 and we were checked in at our hotel (our room was ready so we dropped our carry ons) and on our way before 10:30.
    I always think that riding DME let's the magic start sooner!
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    šoš * ~ ** ~ * šoš

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

squishybear is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I would also really recommend the Magical Express.
    Last time I used them, I had some valuable luggage. I just picked my luggage up myself but then got on the bus. So I know some people are a bit negative about the luggage service but you can bypass this and still get free transportation to the park.

InStitches is offline Fastpass Holder
    Georgia, but wishing I were on the "Loveliest Village on the Plains!"
    I've used Magical Express 3 times. I am another who would highly recommend it. I love not having to worry about luggage. We get off the bus, check in, head to a park and then our luggage is waiting in our room that night when we return!

TravelBoy is offline A-Ticket holder
    Magical Express is one of the best Disney bargains to be had. The three times my wife and I used it, the convenience of travel and luggage handling could not have been better. What is the downside?

stephanie71717 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I loove the Magical Express. I have never had bad wait times and even if there were it would still save you some money that could then be spent on those yummy snacks. Plus I think it really sets the tone for a great vacation and there is nothing better than seeing the kids faces light up when you approach your resort.

Our first stay on Disney property they didnt offer the magical express and we spent around $150 on transportation to the resort. So I would say definately use the Magical express.

CleveRocks is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by PulchraPuella View Post
    We will be leaving for the world in a week, and this will be our first time staying on property. As we will be flying in, we have the option of using Disney's Magical Express, though, having read more than a few negative reviews, I wanted to know if there is way to skip this offer, pick up our own bags, and catch a taxi to the hotel. Can somebody tell me if this is possible?
    If you wish to pay for something that Disney gives you for free, then you can do so. But I wouldn't let a handful of negative reviews stop you. If you looked around, I'm sure you'll find negative reviews of Orlando airport taxi services, also!

It will take you the same amount of time whether you use Disney's Magical Express or get a taxi. If you use DME, you won't have to wait at baggage claim for your suitcases, as they will be delivered directly to the inside of your resort room. Going straight to DME and riding the comfy upholstered bus complete with Welcome to Disney World video takes about the same amount of time as waiting for your bags at baggage claim and then riding in a taxi.

If you insist on being fearful of your first Disney ride of your vacation, however, at least let me suggest that you contract with a car service in advance rather than just catching a taxi. For about the same price, the car service driver will meet you at baggage claim, handle your bags for you, and probably provide you with a cleaner and more comfy vehicle than your average airport taxi.

Another thing about DME ... most of the negative reviews I've read were from people who were expecting something that was never promised, people who misunderstood what DME offers and expected more. DME has been around for almost 4 years, and has tansported an average of between 5,000 and 10,000 guests per DAY, every day for all that time. If it were a bad service, it would have folded because people would have stopped using it.

Just trying to save you some bucks!
    -- Eric

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast